Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Problem with IDEQ 200N

Sun May 22, 2005 12:22 am

I'm experiencing a bit of a problem with my Liteon 52x24x52 cdrw drive. It used to work quite well in my IDEQ.

Basically, drive powers up and spins up fine but wont read anything! And interesting thing is that in BIOS and Windows XP it's detected as LATE-GN LTR%52246 instead of LITE-ON LTR-52246. This is weird. I checked in device manager and all ID string for it are screwed up.

I thought this could be due to my overclock, so I clocked everything back to bone stock. Same story. The only time I was able to get the correct string out it was when I switched jumper on it from master to slave. Then when I rebooted (without putting the jumper back) it went back to LATE-GN string.

I can't update the firmware because updater won't recongize the drive.

Any other suggestions?

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 22, 2005 4:48 am

Get a new IDE cable?

Also check the another drive on the same IDE channel on the motherboard, and check the drive on another motherboard. Those three steps should isolate the problem. My money's on either the cable or the drive, most likely the cable.

Hope this helps,

James
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS
I was going to tell a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones argon.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon May 23, 2005 12:25 pm

It is also possible that the drive is going bad. I had a similar thing happen to my old Kenwood drive...it was all strange chars and it ended up acting crazy and destroyed the disc I had in it in a flurry of destruction.