Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:45 pm

OK, I've got a puzzler here. I have a network I'm working on that is giving me a wierd response. When I plug in a computer to this particular connection, the link light blinks on the switch but it can't see anything. I checked the properties page for the connection (the system is running 2k) and it's sending packets but not receiving them. I've re punched down the wires and even put in a new Cat5 jack. Same thing. I know its not the NIC because I plug in somewhere else and it works fine. I'm guessing that the cable itself is screwed up somewhere but before I go to the trouble to pull a new one, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice for me.

Thanks

-Howard

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:27 pm

If you have access to a CAT5 cable checker, use that before you pull a new cable. To me, it sounds like one of the cable pairs has a bad connection, or break. I you have another machine you can plug into that jack, see if it does the same thing. If it does, most definately the cable. Also, don't forget to check the other side of the punchdowns, where it goes into the switch. Could be a prob there as well.

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:39 pm

Thanks SS, basically that's what I thought but a second opinion couldn't hurt. Unfortunately I don't have a cable checker yet (I'm cheap and haven't figured out a way to finagle one yet :smile: (I would have checked that)

-Howard

smokinjoe
Gerbil In Training

Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:09 pm

If your running 10Meg ethernet you only need two pairs. You might try switching the pairs. Or you could test the cable for continuity with a Ohmmeter. Just short each pair and then check the put the meter on the other end.

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2002 3:53 am

I'll try that also. BTW I thought that 100BaseTX only used 2 pairs also or was I wrong? HP's wannabe spec 100BaseVG used all 4 pairs unless I'm wrong.

-Howard
Damn, it's been a long time since my first network :smile:

Bruce
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 28, 2002 4:30 am

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:32 pm

Thanks Bruce, nice to know my collage classes were not for naught :smile:.

-Howard

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 17, 2002 2:31 am

Just a quick thanks for everyone who weighed in on the topic. I got the problem fixed, the orange pair WAS bad, and I just used the brown pair in its place. Easy and saved me pulling another wire. :smile:
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse