Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

kyaku00x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:59 pm

I can't get on of my CD drives set to DMA how much hard i try on WinXP..
can any one help please..
Athlon TB 1.4Ghz , 512 Pc2100, DVD drive, Cd-RW, CD-drive, msi 6839LE.

the CD drive is set to master on the secondary IDE controller..

thanx a bunch.
and sorry for the dumb question. :smile:

combo
Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:51 pm

Go into device manager and then Expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" Double-click the primary ide channel. Click the advanced settings tab. Now set the drop down lists to "DMA if available"

Do the same for the secondary ide channel.

Hope this helps.

kyaku00x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:01 pm

I've done that and never worked, it always sets it to PIO no matter what i do..

whenever this drive is accessed my system slows down to an untolerable level.

Lao Tze
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:14 pm

Howabout your bios?

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:47 pm

Does the CDROM drive actually support DMA mode?

Spune
Gerbil XP

Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:40 pm

Some drives will just not go to DMA in 2k/xp. A friends machine will run DMA in 9x but put on an NT OS and it refuses not matter what we try. He's just given up. But if you get a solution I'm sure he will be happy to hear it.

kyaku00x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2002 6:33 pm

please if your friend finds a way, tell me. This is my exact same problem. I even tried some dumb stuff like using PowerDVD to set it to DMA but it just won't work in XP.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:29 am

I've seen this work from time to time so I'd give it a shot.

Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Hardware -> Uninstall or Unplug -> Uninstall -> Check mark show hidden devices.

Clear out all the devices on the secondary channel, then remove the secondary channel, and then reset.

If you see duplicates of hardware in the list remove them (like your CD-ROM twice). Also there is always one "? Unknown Device" in that Add/Remove Hardware list. Do not remove it. You won't like what it does. If you have more than one "? Unknown Device" leave the very first one alone, and remove all that follow.

The Add/Remove Hardware panel is not the most well thought out tool, leave Control Panel open, as you will have to enter the tool after the removal of every device and you may only remove one device at a time.

The tool works great, whoever designed how the interface operates should be slapped though.

Once you are back into Windows after having removed the devices, you should see that all the devices on the secondary channel are in PIO again. Shift the drop down menu to DMA if available and then reset.

Sometimes the value in the registry that reports DMA compliance for the channel gets goofed. Clearing out the channel and devices will sometimes help.

If it still doesn't work you may be experiencing either a system BIOS bug or a drive based firmware bug.

Updating either may help. If you do update the system BIOS, drive firmware, or both though, you'll have to follow my instructions on device removal before you will be able to see the results of the BIOS/firmware updates.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

kyaku00x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:17 pm

thanks Ryu for the advice. I'll try it now and see what happens.

Toyotamr2_86NA
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:37 pm

Id say itsmore than likely a Driver/chipset compatibility issue. Try updating the drivers for the mo bo/IDE COntroller. Ive experienced a problem like this with myold P3 VIA mother board.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:55 pm

My cousin had a Philips CD-RW that worked fine under Win2K but caused all sorts of problems with WinXP. I flashed the firmware on the drive and now it works fine with WinXP.

Have you checked for updated firmware for your drive?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JustAnEngineer on 2002-03-01 19:58 ]</font>

kyaku00x
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:04 pm

It worked!! :smile: you really desrve to be on the TR staff.. If only I could reach you I would no doubt kiss you.

Thanks again Ryu for the help. you are a life saver :smile:

Spune
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:26 pm

I'll pass this along to my friend. I hope it works for him as well, Thanks Ryu.