Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

NTFS on a ZIP disk

Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:04 am

I want to put an NTFS file system on my ZIP 100 disk. I'm using the USB 100 drive. I also have the ATAPI 100 drive. On the ATAPI, I don't have the IOMEGAWARE software installed, and I can use explorer to format NTFS. On my USB drive [different computer], I installed IOMEGAWARE first, and when I go to format, it only gives me the option to quick format. No NTFS. I contacted Iomega, and they said that they don't support the NTFS file system.

What would the problem be? I have a fairly limited knowledge of how file systems store data on drives, but it seems to me that its just 1's and 0's.
Aside from the security options, like read and write protection, which I don't need, Iomegaware doesn't seem to offer any benefits over what Windows is well-equipped to do.

Is there a way to keep IomegaWare and format disks with NTFS, or at least FAT32? I don't like this 16-bit FAT. Or do I need to uninstall IomegaWare?

Thanks

Also, although fairly unrelated, the USB Zip 100 drive has a little transparent blue window, right over the drive mechanism. Are there any clear Zip disks? Or has anyone ever modded one somehow? Thanks again.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:09 pm

Did you use the Windows Disk Manager or Ioware's software?

Personally I use the Disk Manager on my jaz drive.

mac_h8r1
Topic Author

Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:16 pm

On the ATAPI, i used the Windoze disk manager, which let me format NTFS.

On the USB, I used Ioware.

I'd like to know if the Ioware can be forced to format NTFS, so I can still have the security options in case I ever feel the need to use them.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:15 pm

My point is, why don't you use Windows Disk Manager for both?

Or doesn't the USB drive show up there?

mac_h8r1
Topic Author

Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:25 pm

'cause once you install IoWare, it changes the menu when you right-click on the disk

Steel
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:47 pm

No, what he's saying is use the Disk Manager to format insead of right-clicking in Explorer. To do this in Win2K/XP, right click on My Computer and click "Manage" then go to "Disk Management". In the upper right pane should be the list of drives in your computer. If the Zip drive is not listed, put the disk in the drive and hit F5. Then you shoud be able to right click the drive, choose format and have NTFS as an option for the file system. Hope this helps (and works on XP since I haven't really messed around with it much...)

mac_h8r1
Topic Author

Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:55 pm

WOW, you learn something new every day.

Thanks a ton, it lets me format FAT32 at least. Still not NTFS, but its good enough.

Thanks

Steel
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:04 am

Probably just as well since you'd lose 2 meg of the disk to the NTFS logfile anyway. Make sure you pick 512 byte clusters if you can otherwise there's little point in formatting it FAT32.