Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

kruise
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Best looking CD-RW drive for a Shuttle SS51?

Tue Dec 24, 2002 9:15 pm

Ok I'm starting to spec out my first home built computer. I've been in love with the shuttle series since seeing them on a website 2 weeks ago. They look so cool before drives are installed.

My question, which cd-rw drives look the coolest (or at least not ugly) in one of the shuttle XPCs? The sony DRU500A looks like it might be the best match but it's a combo drive are rather expensive.

Thanks,
kruise (the newbie)

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 24, 2002 9:50 pm

I don't think you should be selecting a drive for its looks over its performance :wink: Won't really recommend Sony drives due to the highly sensitive lens, so it might not read certain CD media well. And what do you need out of your drive? Since the Shuttle Cubes only have ONE drive slot, you might need a combo drive.
*yawn*

farfolen
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:37 pm

he needs a CD-RW drive. i would second the advice against sony drives. ive had nothing but trouble from teh two i've gotten (they're so damned picky, and while fast at ripping, thats only if they dont fail at initializing). lite-on and toshiba's have always been good to me though. cant recommend which would look best though, as i always chose function over form.
1 GHz on a 100 MHz FSB...gotta love technology.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Wed Dec 25, 2002 12:49 am

If worse comes to worse, you can always choose a high performance drive (Lite-On, etc.) and paint it yourself to blend in. Many people stealth their cd drives and if you do it properly, it can come out quite nice. I hear that it is really not that hard, so it is something that you might want to consider.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Dissonance
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:56 am

If you're really concerned with how the drive bay looks, your best bet is probably to get a beige drive and paint it whatever color you want. At least then you can pick how well it matches, since there's nothing out there that's perfect as is.

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:44 pm

I painted my previous case and DVD drive. It's really not that difficult. Take the plastic off the front pieces (trivial), take it outside, and give it a few thin coats with a can of spray paint over the course of a day. Won't cost you more than $6. The difficult part is finding a good paint. A metallic silver would probably look good, or you could try to match the blue.

If you really want to get fancy, you can sand it first and give it a clearcoat after. Just try not to put it on too thick, especially on the edges where the tray comes out or the tray won't close.

RedDwarf
Gerbil In Training

Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:34 pm

BTW, you have to remove the front plate to put your drive in, so why don't you use your front plate to match the drive with the Shuttle...
AMD Phenom II X4 925 | Asus M4A87TD EVO | 12GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHz | Radeon 1650 256MB | 2x 500GB WD Black 32MB RAID 1 + 3x 250GB W.D 7200 16MB | SB X-Fi Xtreme | Pioneer 16x DVD-RW | Lian-Li PC 60 | Thermaltake 600W PS | Samsung 205bw | Windows 7 Home

Bleeding_Edge
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:05 am

I'm using a TDK VeloCD 40/12/48 CDRW in my SS51, and while not a perfect match (chromatically speaking) it looks pretty good to me.
The translucent blue drive tray complements the blue face of the cube fairly nicely.
Ever notice how common sense just isn't that common?