Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

ANApex
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:43 pm

Ok this is kind of a curiousity question. I've really only played with Pocket PCs (iPaqs, etc) in stores, conferences, things like that. How do they handle drivers for CF cards and PCMCIA cards? Do the use standard windows drivers or do they look for special drivers?

Aruna
Gerbil

Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:50 pm

I would think that since most of them are running Windows CE, the coding for the drivers would be similar to their desktop counterparts. I don't think you'd be able to use the same driver, but I could be wrong. Any PDA software engineers here?

Steel
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:23 pm

On 2002-02-21 12:43, ANApex wrote:
Ok this is kind of a curiousity question. I've really only played with Pocket PCs (iPaqs, etc) in stores, conferences, things like that. How do they handle drivers for CF cards and PCMCIA cards? Do the use standard windows drivers or do they look for special drivers?
Depends on the card. Some cards are generic enough that they work without loading extra drivers. Other cards come with drivers that are processor specific - it'll come with drivers for an ARM based Pocket PC but not one for Hitachi based ones. Unlike the desktop PC market, the Pocket PC market is strewn with several different incompatible CPUs.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:23 pm

They do not use standard Windows drivers. There are special drivers for them.

You probably know this, but PocketPC is NOT technically a Windows OS. It looks a lot like it, but the underpinnings are totally different, basically because of the hardware archictecure.

Nice thing is, if you find one driver for a device, it will probably work for other brands. For example, Compaq puts a driver on the disk for their WLAN card, the 110. This driver also works for the DLink WLAN cards because they both use the same chipset.

ANApex
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2002 8:04 am

Thanks for the help that's what I was wondering.