So here's the system I want to build:

Shuttle SB51G
P4 2.4/533 (or a /400 and O/C it?)
512MB DDR/333
WD 1200JB
Radeon 9500 Pro
Sony DRU-500

//////////////////

This machine will primarily be a gaming/photoshop/video box, so it will be pushing the CPU hot.

My question is this: Will I have any problems with heat in this system?
In my current system, I have fanbays on all of my 7200RPM drives to keep them cool, but these are older Maxtor drives - do the newer WD drives require the same amount of cooling?
If I do decide to overclock, what CPU should I use (obviously a 400 pushed to 533, but other than that . . . ) and will THAT cause heat issues?

And will the PS have enough juice to run this thing? (particularly that 4X AGP board)

Any hints, tips and suggestions are appreciated . . .

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Re: Building an SFF system - help?

Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:59 pm

Gendou wrote:
So here's the system I want to build:

Shuttle SB51G
P4 2.4/533 (or a /400 and O/C it?)
512MB DDR/333
WD 1200JB
Radeon 9500 Pro
Sony DRU-500

//////////////////

This machine will primarily be a gaming/photoshop/video box, so it will be pushing the CPU hot.

My question is this: Will I have any problems with heat in this system?
In my current system, I have fanbays on all of my 7200RPM drives to keep them cool, but these are older Maxtor drives - do the newer WD drives require the same amount of cooling?
If I do decide to overclock, what CPU should I use (obviously a 400 pushed to 533, but other than that . . . ) and will THAT cause heat issues?

And will the PS have enough juice to run this thing? (particularly that 4X AGP board)

Any hints, tips and suggestions are appreciated . . .

Everything looks good, I run damn near identical system.

But, you will *not* get a 100 @133 speeds. Couple of reasons for this. Lack of voltage adjustments, and lack of PCI/AGP divisor.

Also, if you plan on using onboard sound you'll be hampered even more with FSB overclocking. Mine only goes to 108 on a 100 fsb chip before the sound dies, or to 145 on a 133 fsb before the sound dies.

For me, the best overclocking was taking a 133 and pushing it higher.

Great machine, don't bother trying to overclock.

BTW, my DRU500A looks great in the case. Only real downside is the white lower plastic shell ( near the eject button ).

Gendou
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Re: Building an SFF system - help?

Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:22 pm

DiMaestro wrote:
Everything looks good, I run damn near identical system.
But, you will *not* get a 100 @133 speeds. Couple of reasons for this. Lack of voltage adjustments, and lack of PCI/AGP divisor.
Also, if you plan on using onboard sound you'll be hampered even more with FSB overclocking. Mine only goes to 108 on a 100 fsb chip before the sound dies, or to 145 on a 133 fsb before the sound dies.
For me, the best overclocking was taking a 133 and pushing it higher.
Great machine, don't bother trying to overclock.

Thanks for the advice. For me, O/C was an afterthought based on some things I had read about people's luck with the SS51G.
Having run an overclocked machine for the last five years or so, it will be wierd to go back to running normally. :D

Do you know if the SB51G boards support HT chips like the new P4-3GHz?

DiMaestro wrote:
BTW, my DRU500A looks great in the case. Only real downside is the white lower plastic shell ( near the eject button ).

I was hoping to stealth the drive like the one here at Sudhian.
Having never actually played with or examined a DRU-500A, in your opinion, would a mod like this work with it, or is the drive door too complex? (I'm no hardware hacker - I'm more of a jack-knife and superglue guy myself)

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:31 pm

Yes, it supports HT.

I'm thinking about building a very similar system. Looks good. :)
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex