Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Question about memory

Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:15 pm

I'm going to be upgrading my memory for my computer and I was curious to see how important everyone here finds memory timings. Is it worth the extra $$$ to buy something along the lines of CAS 2.0 XMS memory over regular value sticks? Yes, I play games. 8)

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:05 am

If your using an A64...they LOVE low latency ram :wink:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

MadBrad
Gerbil XP

RAM

Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:19 am

Rousterfar,

I put 2GB of CAS 2 PC3200 in my Gaming Rig. I bought Patriot memory, and the results were pretty good. Tight timings do make a noticable difference in gameplay. However, unless you plan on overclocking like a Banshee, PC 3500 or higher are probably not necessary. Of course, that new Athlon 64 may beg to run...

How much did you have budgeted?

~70 gets you a gig of CAS 2.5 RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820141154

120 dollars will get you a Gig of good low latency ram that should do you well for gaming. the difference may not be huge, but some folks swear the tighter timings are worth it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820145450

~$200 will get you some good low latency RAM that should keep those same timings at higher FSB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820146392

Guess it depends on what you want to accomplish, and what you want to spend.

MadBrad
...if only you could see, what I have seen, through your eyes...

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:48 am

Sorry i should have given more details. :wink:

I am actually running a Mobile Athlon XP (the desktop part that comes unlocked) overclocked to around 3000+ speeds. I have a stick of 512 XMS 2700 CAS 2.0 ram that I have been running since I had a lowly Athlon XP 2000+ in it. I want to hit a full gig or ram and figured it would be as good of a time as any to upgrade to full 3200 DDR. My understadning is that it's going to be a great investment as I will be able to carry it over to an A64 when I upgrade to that platform some time next year.

I noticed new egg has 1 gig (2x512) of Corsiar XMS for $111 on sale. It's CAS 2.0 with 2 3 3 timings. I also noticed I can score some value ram for about $75. Money is somewhat tight, but I will consider the XMS if that's what everyone recomends.

Thoughts? 8)

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:04 am

That value select will let you run that at 3200 speeds easily enough..and should be all you need.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:17 am

So even with plans down the road to upgrade to an A64 you would recomend the value select ram with CAS 2.5?

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:42 am

If youre going to do any overclocking with the A64 some lower latency ram would suit you better...i was just thinking of your pocketbook. This is pretty good ram..ive been impressed with it so far.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220006

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:58 am

Yeah, I understand what you are saying budget wise. I need to just look over my paycheck and see what makes the most sense. I'm not a heavy overclocker, I did it with my Athlon XP M because it was so easy. I did see some nice Corsiar value select going for about $75 without any mail in rebates. That would be about a $35 savings. :)

Does anyone know what the average "gains" in terms of framerates you would see running CAS 2.0 vs CAS 2.5 Ram? I am talking running them at stock speeds.

MadBrad
Gerbil XP

Patriot

Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:35 am

Rousterfar,

The Patriot and other "mid grade" memory has the advantage of lower CAS delay, and are usually rated to run at 1T memory timing. Both should give some good results.

I have not seen a good article or benchmarks on actual framerate increases for either of these timings.

Still, an extra $35 would be worth it, in my book. As I said in my first post, I spent extra on the Patriot memory, and believe it to be a good deal. I would suspect you would get noticeable frame rate increases, but I won't just randomly make up a number...Sorry if this is not the level of detail you wanted.

Or, maybe I'm just a sucker for the red heat spreaders...

MadBrad
...if only you could see, what I have seen, through your eyes...

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:03 am

Well I did a lot of research before I went out last night and it seems seems most sites claim there is only about a 1% to 9% speed difference in the "cheap" stuff all the way up the high end stuff. I think I will just end up buying some mid-range stuff so I can fool with it if I ever want to over clock any. My Athlon XP M is doing me fine right now, but I fully intend to go A64 (hopefully duel core) next year and I don't want to have to buy new memory then. 8)

I have always bought corsair or crucial ram. This patriot stuff does look decent and it has got some good reviews.

Thanks guys.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:12 am

What do ya think about those? The latencys seem nice, and the company ive heard nothing but good things about.

The 2 companys i have been recommended to that are not considered "NAME BRANDS" are Mushkin and GeIL.

Any clue if I can get a 1gig stick of ram with those same latencys? DDR400.

The other question I had was wether or not we should get DDR400 when the 3500+ Venice that we were going to build his system off of has 1000mhz FSB. Opposed to the early AMD 64's, it should be able to theortically use 1000mhz ram, given that all of the buses are high enough. And the motherboard supports ram that high... Is that right for the new AMDs with 1000mhz FSB?

So my question is wether or not im going to regret getting DDR400 because its at a good deal right now. Similar to running a system with 400 FSB and only using PC-2100 because it was cheap at the time. What is your spin on this?
Last edited by Welch on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:28 am

HOLY EXCESSIVELY WIDE URL BATMAN!
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS
I was going to tell a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones argon.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:34 am

Ya I was thinking the same thing when I added it to a text doc lol

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:57 am

I thought I would give everyone an update. I ended up ordering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820141154

1 gig (2X512) 3200 PQI for $70 after the $20 mail in (prices at Newegg have since changed and it costs more now). Seemed a good deal because it was not that much more then the "value" ram before rebate and is cheaper then anything I found after rebate.

Good deal right?

Well no. :cry:

I tossed it into my computer last night and was getting tons of errors. At first the stuff wouldn't let my computer even boot up. After a while I got it to boot into windows, but was getting graphical glitches and the computer would freeze. I did manage to run 3dMark, but it never finished and would freeze and show weird graphic errors while running.

In other words, the ram is bad or just won't run on my motherboard brand (MSI). :x

I plan to test it over at my dad's office on a couple computers I built for him. My feeling is chances are it's an issue with being compatible with my mobo. So I may have to start one of the most dreaded processes known to man. Returning a product to an online vender without getting killed on shipping costs or a 15% restocking fee. If the brand won't work with my mobo then having it repaired or exchanged for the same brand won't do me any good.

Newegg is the golden child of online computer part stores, but their RMA policy blows just as everyone elses does. Anyone have advice on this?

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:02 am

As far as the eggs RMA policy..i think its the best in the biz..even if you have to return it for another brand..think of it as a cheap lesson :wink:

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 am

Well, its a possiblity thats its a motherboard issue... But when I saw that ram on newegg tonight and I saw PQI some red flags went off in my head. Seems like an El' Cheapo company. I mean 70 bucks for 1 gig dual channel kit? Even before 20 bucks mail in rebate... 90 bucks for dual channel kit?

Id shoot for about 100-120 for 1 gig (single stick or dual channel)

Im also going to stick with the following companys as I have either seen nothing but good things from them or Ive heard nothing but good things from them.

GeIL
Mushkin
Crucial
Corsair
Samsung - Cmon.. they make all of the ram for just about 80% or more video cards that you have in your comp.
OCZ
Patriot - Heard some mixed feelings on them, Havent seen any flames and ashes though ;)

Sorry if I missed any on the list, just naming them as I recall them. I read someone with the MSI K8N Neo4 nForce4 Platinum swear to stay away from buying KingMax ram though. Most other ram companys you wont hear alot about for a reason... They are bottom of the barrel and are looking to make a quick buck. Chances are youll see a few of them fall of the scope once they have either asorbed the money they wanted, or once they go bankrupt from having nothing of value to offer.

I personally am merely running Elixir brand ram and Corsair Value Select in this system. Athlough they arent top performers by any means, they are stable and I have had ZERO problems with them running Dual Channel together (2x512) on my MSI K7N2-Delta nForce2 mobo. And im a gamer. So it will be intresting to see the performance diffrence between these "Value" type rams and decent ram (2.5-3-3-6 and better)

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:52 am

Ya I thought PQI would be ok since I read googled them and heard decent things. I guess not. :cry:

My old Corsair XMS (2700) runs like a dream. So it has to be the ram.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:56 am

It doesnt HAVE to be the ram. As you stated before, motherboard compatibility could be the possibly culprit. It wouldnt be 100% uncommon that since PQI isnt much of a Name Brand that the motherboard doesnt support it. If you have that XMS, pop it in there and do some reading. Might be that you need a BIOs flash in order for it to treat the PQI stuff properly.

Could you list your motherboard again?

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:41 am

Well when I said it was the Ram I meant "the ram more then likely is the cause of the issue because of compatibility issues with my mobo." I didn't mean the Ram itself was bad (but that's still an option. I need to test it on another computer to be sure).

I am running a MSI K7N2 Nforce 2 mobo. My CPU is an Athlon XP-M 2700+ running OC'ed. My old Ram is Corsair XMS 2700 (1X512) that I ran in Single Channel.

The reason I upgraded is I wanted to hit 1 gig with 2 X 512 running in Duel Channel. I figured I might as well match some 3200 so I can soak up the extra bandwith.

BTW I already tested running this ram at 333hz and it still was giving me issues, but ran a little more stable. I have tested my CPU with 3200 ram before at the 400 FSB and it ran fine.

At this point after I test it on another computer I think I need to ask Newegg is if I can exchange this PQI ram for another brand. I will be out the shipping, and maybe 15%, but I don't know what else to do. :-?

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:43 am

Oh and my Bios is fully up to date for my mobo.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:52 am

Ouch man.. I have that EXACT same motherboard... so it seems I might be able to assist you in some way :)

Im using Corsair Value Select ram and Elixir Ram... Both are PC-3200 and bought at diffrent times, running in Dual channel with zero problems. My guess is that its the ram...

I have a Barton 2600+. If I recall right your 2700 mobile is running at 333mhz FSB. You wont be able to get it to run at 400 naturally. Infact when I bought my system I could have sworn I got PC-2700, and to this day I insist that I did and was given PC-3200 instead for the same price :)... Gives me some overhead if I wished to overclock, that way my mobo, my ram, and all other componants other than the CPU would be within spec. Infact thats another question I have for you. Is that the nForce 2 Ultra chipset or the non-ultra?

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:59 am

Non Ultra.

It's the Mobile version of the CPU so it comes fully "unlocked." I have been able to run it at many different speeds up to around 11x400 (10X400 runs a little better) with no problems and heat under control. That takes it up to XP 3000+ speed if I am thinking correct. It's a nice CPU.

I am currently on a different computer and am playing around with the system as I type to see if I can get it running a 333, but so far no luck.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:19 am

Errrr... The non ultra doesnt go as high as 400Mhz on its FSB and Memory bus... I forget what speed it runs at but for some reason the number 266 is sticking out in my head. The older Athlon procs were 200 Mhz FSB. In this case it might be your mobo's bus. Are you sure that your running your proc at 400 FSB when you are overclocking?

By the way... Get onto your MSN lol, I added you. figured since our post are close to realtime, instead of flooding the TR forums with extra posts I would just IM you.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:33 am

Crucial, Corsair, and Mushkin. I won't use anything else.
Life's too short to screw with questionable RAM just to save $2.

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:52 am

Well when I used a stick on 3200 before I ran it at the full FSB for it with my CPU. Recent mobo flashes let the motherboard run at it.

I will be on MSN soon.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:02 pm

Werid... so your saying that a non-ultra K7N2-Delta can be BIOs flashed to run DDR400 and 400FSB :o :-??

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:04 pm

I'm online.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:07 pm

I added you but it doesnt show you being online :P

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author