Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Reorganization of the Forums

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:54 pm

There's been some talk over the past some months (perhaps even the last year) or doing away with the Matrox forum along with creating some new forums. With the help of the moderators and the approval of Damage, I've come up with the following layout for the forums. Basically we are trying to put things in a more organized layout. You'll notice that the categories have completely been redone and many new forums added. I've listed the forum names in bold and the proposed forum description in parentheses.

Administration
  • Announcements (Forum rules and other things of a critical nature.)
  • there are a few other forums here that are hidden to regular forum users, such as the moderator forum
Hardware
  • General Hardware (Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!)
  • AMD Asylum (CPUs, motherboards, and chipsets from the little CPU maker that could.)
  • Intel Realm (CPUs, motherboards, and chipsets from the 800lb gorilla.)
  • Symmetric Multi Madness (All about multiprocessor and multi-core systems, Hyper-Threading, and the joy of creamy smooth computing)
  • ATI Alcove (Graphics and chipsets from the frozen north.)
  • NVIDIA Nook (The two-headed green monster of chipsets and GPU's.)
  • Apple Hardware (Get your iPods, Mini's, and all forms of Mac's here.)
  • Cases and Power Supplies (Enclosures, modding, blowholes, and the power needed to run it all.)
  • Overclocking, Tweaking, & Cooling (Speed addicts anonymous.)
  • SFF Station (For small-form factor PCs and the (extremely small) people who love them.)
  • Storage (All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.)
  • System Builder's Anonymous (Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.)
Software
  • General Software (The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.)
  • Apple Software (From OSX to iTunes.)
  • Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness (Where Penguins and Daemons chill together in the warmth of the Sun.)
  • Windows (Monopoly money comes in many flavors: XP, 2K, ME, 98.)
  • Developer's Den (From Visual Basic to GNU C, this is the place to talk programming.)
Technology
  • General Graphics (Discussion on how pixels, bits, shaders, and all other forms of graphics technology functions, from the hardware to the software.)
  • General Processors (Discuss the functionality and implementation of all forms of processors.)
  • Echo Vale (The place to sound off on all things related to audio technology.)
  • Gaming (How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.)
  • HTPC and Home Theater (Turning computers into home theater components. Also for discussion of all things related to home theater.)
  • Mobile Tech (Laptops, PDAs, cell phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.)
  • Networking (From the small LANs to the large WANs, discuss all forms of networking (including the Internet) here.)
Off Topic
  • Back Porch (Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.)
  • Bargain Basement (Buy/sell/trade with other forum members at your own risk. You must log in to view this forum.)
  • Hot Deals (Share critical consumer intelligence on deals and steals.)
  • Distributed Computing (Come join the... uh... er... fold.)
  • Religion & Politics (Civilized discourse on religion, politics, and other social issues.)
  • TR Sports (The Tech Report's fantasy sports leagues and general sports discussion.)
  • Smoky Back Room (Contributors only.)

As you can see, the Administration category and Announcements forum have already been created, since it had the least amount of impact on the forums (plus it's easily noticed up at the top :D). I am posting this today so everyone realizes what is coming and also to gain input from the forum users before the final implementation.

So if you have any comments, suggestions, complaints, or whatever, then please post below.

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin on Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:58 pm

Looks good, let's do it.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

stephenb
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:10 pm

2 Apple forums, surely not!!!!

Only kidding, it looks excellent. Thank you for all the hard work Kevin and co.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:22 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

long live Matrox!!!!

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:20 pm

Could you put a note for monitors under General Graphics

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:58 pm

dragmor wrote:
Could you put a note for monitors under General Graphics

Damage wants General Graphics and General Processors to be about Graphics and Processor technology, not specific pieces of hardware. Hence putting them into the "Technology" category. So all monitor discussions will go into Gen Hardware, leaving the General Graphics forum to talk about AA, filtering, pixel shaders, etc. So all Matrox (or other types of graphics cards) topics, would also go into General Hardware. If someone is looking to buy a graphics card and they ask "ATI or NVIDIA?", then that would go into the new System Builder's forum.

Depending on how full General Hardware becomes with monitor topics, we could create a specific forum for displays.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:06 pm

Yeah... I like it.

There may still be questions with awkward pigeon-holes, but overall I like this new schema.
I have nothing more to say about that.

totoro
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:20 pm

"Civilized discourse" in the R&P? Since when?!
I like the new setup. But I think two Apple forums may be one too many.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:33 pm

I don't know if I've ever voiced my oppinion on this matter, but I have been a long-supporter of fitting power supplies with the case forum; the two just seem to go hand in hand.
Last edited by SpotTheCat on Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:47 pm

totoro wrote:
But I think two Apple forums may be one too many.

We talked about this for quite some time while drafting up this layout. I was originally in the "one forum" camp and would have stuck the Apple forum in the Technology section. But I'm willing to give it a try to see how things shake out. We can always merge the forums in a few months if it's obvious that one isn't really getting enough traffic. Or send whichever isn't doing well into the respective "General" forum. No matter what though, the MacOS forum needs renaming. iPods just don't really fit with that title. ;)

SpotTheCat wrote:
I have been a long-supporter of fitting power supplies with the case forum

Yeah, I should have added that to the forum title a long time ago.

danazar
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:02 pm

I've said before that I think we should have a "Monitors" category in hardware. The "Widescreen or not?" debates alone that rage eternal would be enough to keep such a place going, let alone any other debates about different LCD panel technologies, LCD vs. CRT, one brand of panel over another, how much refresh rates really practically matter anymore...

I think a "Monitors" category would be used frequently enough, and make it easier for people trying to research information on monitors to go back and find and read old forum posts related to their search to reduce the amount of redundancy at least a little. (These sound contradictory, but I hope they're not.)

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:20 pm

I agree with a "what should I buy" forum to keep the other forums oriented at discussion of the different technology, but monitors are hard to place. TR doesn't do monitor reviews, so it makes little sense to have a monitor forum. But at the same time our general graphics forum is piled high with questions about monitors, monitors for gaming, widescreen vs normal, other display questions (lots of HDTV questions lateley) custom resolutions for HDTV and EDTVs, technology questions...

I think it would make sense to have a display forum in the technology section.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:29 pm

quick question about the whole choosing parts forum vs technology forum.

would it be correct to put a thread about what is better, dell 2405FP vs HP 23" widescreen in the system builders forum, when what is mostly being discussed is who makes the better screen, phillips (most 23" widescreen LCDs) or samsung (most 24" widescreen LCDs)

I have a feeling the "system builder" forum will be overrun with technology questions... because that is why many of us are here, to find the best products, right?

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:38 pm

I think its a good idea. It is time for an update.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:44 pm

I just noticed guest access? Oh well, does apple really get that much traffic?

Does DYMT get it's own section? :P

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:46 pm

Wouldn't the Mac Hardware forum be repititious if we alreadyt have an Intel forum? :lol:

On a more serious note, I think we need a display forum as well, for the reasons already stated.

EDIT: GUEST ACCESS!!!! Am I the only one who thinks this is a BAD idea? Make it easier for the trolls, why don't you...

And yes, I think Apple is deserving of its own two forums. Let 'em have a chance.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:03 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
EDIT: GUEST ACCESS!!!! Am I the only one who thinks this is a BAD idea? Make it easier for the trolls, why don't you...

I'm sure it will be fixed soon, don't worry.
Twitter: @xmunos

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:38 pm

Heh, oops. Forgot about the difference between "all" and "reg" in the phpBB setup. That's fixed now.

Regarding the possible Display Forum, I suppose if we're thinking of a photography forum, then that would work as well. My only concern is that the number of forums may be too large and it would look too imposing to a newcomer. Thoughts on the possibility of having too many forum sections?

SpotTheCat: It's my thought that would should try to get as many of those "A vs. B" threads into one forum, hence the System Builder's forum. It seems to me that pretty much every time someone asks what is better, they are looking to buy one of them.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Does the Gaming forum really belong in the Technology group?

The HTPC forum belongs in whatever group the Digital Photography forum belongs in. Both are submarkets in the computing field, and they're hobby-ish.

You have about 30-odd forums in both the current and the new forum layout, so the only thing confusing would be the grouping. Hopefully we have a few days to look this over and see if the groupings make sense to us before it's too late to provide input.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:22 pm

gaming kind of fits in several different catagories . overall i think it might be a better fit in software though .

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:28 am

I hate change :wink:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:05 am

The Techonology forum is for topics that have a mix of hardware and software. So in Gaming, you've got the software games plus all the hardware needed to run them, specifically consoles.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:24 am

Forum Nazis!

:D

Doesn't matter as long as it makes sense.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:41 am

Kevin wrote:
The Techonology forum is for topics that have a mix of hardware and software. So in Gaming, you've got the software games plus all the hardware needed to run them, specifically consoles.

On that note, in which forum will discussion about the consoles go? We have many aspects of the console universe: hardware, gaming, modding, software, and the business behind the companies who make each of the big three.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:11 am

PerfectCr wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
I hate change :wink:

Who moved my cheese?

Oh Dear god, do not get me started on that book! I had to read it in college and I also had to read at my place of work, because some management puke thought it would be good for building leadership. To wich I replied, "You know if you have nopt learned the things the book trys to teach you by the time you leave High school, you are never going to learn it."

I wish I had a dime for every motivational speaker, leadership book, etc. that I have been made to sit through, man I would be rich.

Anyways /end rant

I like TR as long as it stays organized and not a random mess like other forums *cough* HardOCP *cough*
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:22 am

FireGryphon wrote:
On that note, in which forum will discussion about the consoles go? We have many aspects of the console universe: hardware, gaming, modding, software, and the business behind the companies who make each of the big three.

Console discussions will go into Gaming, just as they do now. Although we'll have to leave the modding discussions out of the picture.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:40 am

-when- does this go into effect?
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:48 am

I'm hoping to finish by the end of the week. I'll probably have to close the forums at some point to do most of the serious removing of categories. Oh, and I should mention that no threads or posts will be lost. Any forums that are being removed will just have their threads moved to other forums.

Also, our plan is to go through each of the forums and clean up the first page of threads on each forum and move topics to more appropriate forums. For example, all of the current threads on system building that are scattered through General Procs, Intel, AMD, and General Hardware will all be moved to the new System Builder's forum. I think this will help populate new forums and also demonstrate what types of threads belong in which forums.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:24 pm

How about a Hobbies section that would contain:

Gaming
Sports
Photography
EDIT: BEER!
Dwarf Tossing (or some other related topic)
Last edited by PRIME1 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:32 pm

more then ANYTHING on TR, we need a forum for:

BEER!

ok? PLZ? i beg of thee
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-