Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

todd
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Assembly tips

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:03 am

Will be assembling this week. Any tips, suggestions?

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:28 am

Touch the chasis to clear the static buildup. Keep movement to a minimum. Don't cut corners. Don't be afraid to read the manuals.

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:28 am

Well, be careful about static electrity - either ground yourself, or get one of those wristbands.

Also, when applying the thermal paste, make sure to put on a thin layer, don't do lots of goop.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:36 am

Drop in your CPU and attach your heatsink before you put the mobo in the case.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:50 am

Assemble/test the mobo/cpu/ram/psu/gpu outside the case to make sure they work.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:11 am

The first amendment guarantees the freedom of assembly. Be sure to excercise it.

I'd suggest mounting the CPU and RAM to the motherboard before installing the motherboard. Less chance of slippage and breaking something in my experience. Also, once it's complete, take the time to zip-tie the power connectors you're not using...makes for a nice case layout, good airflow, and if you have a window, your case won't look like a damn rat's nest.

edit: drfish beat me to it (mostly)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

todd
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:42 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Assemble/test the mobo/cpu/ram/psu/gpu outside the case to make sure they work.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it. I did go and buy the static strap today, though I've always gotten by without it before, I've more money than usual in this one, plus it's my first actual motherboard install. Also got some nice round cables for everything, and 120mm antec intake fan to go along with the 120 exhaust that comes with the antec case. Praying that's more than enough.

Usacomp, do you mean to assemble everything on the board, outside of the case, plug in the power, and test how? No test equipment here I'm afraid.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:53 pm

If you plug everything into the mobo while the mobo is outside of the case, you should be able to turn it on and run the computer without it being in the case. There's no law that says you need a case, it's just a very good idea :wink:

I personally do not assemble my comps outside of the cases first. Cases are so easy to work with nowadays that it's easier to remove/swap parts to troubleshoot a faulty component than it was back in the day.

Some additional advice: If you're fitting something into the case or onto the mobo and it's not fitting, don't force it. Take a step back and see if you're doing it right.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:32 pm

Its really easy to miss a step or not plug somethin in..make sure you check all your connections carefully..then say 10 hail mary's..cross your fingers and push the eject button :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.