Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

todd
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Little help please.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:08 pm

Got everything put together, board, cpu, fans, vid, hdd, fdd, dvd, power, everything proper as far as I can tell.
Turn on the power and I get all the fans running. But nothing on the monitor. Not a thing. Can't tell if the hdd is running or not.
Am I missing something? Do I need to boot to a floppy? I was under the impression I didn't need to do that, but a friend brought it up. I was thinking I'd at least get bios or something on the monitor.
Manuals are poor.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Antec case w/400w, came with the underside of the front bezel cracked.
Chaintech vfn4 ultra, preinstalled chipset fan feels wobbly. Appears fine when running though.
Amd 64 3000
2x256 rosewill ram, one of which was dropped. It appeared ok, fell on vinyl, I stuck it in there anyway. Could be the probem? I'll get that cat of hers one of these days.
Hitachi sataII hdd
Crappy Asus pci-express vid card. Be great if this was the prob, I'd love to rma that mistake.
Power supply has 2 fans. Case has 120 mm fan, I added another. Got a giant arctic cooling sink and fan. It's not hot in there at all.
Had to get to work before I could do any more damage.

Help me out guys, what am I missing?
Thanks.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:22 pm

I'd try an individual stick of memory first. if that fails, hmmm. If you have no RAM in there, do you get beep codes?

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:50 pm

You shouldn't need to boot with a floppy in order for the system to POST. I'd check the seating of the cpu.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:11 pm

This is quite common also with the CPU Fan. Usually you need the CPU fan plugged into a certain fan header on the MB. If it is not there the system thinks the CPU doesn't have cooling and won't boot. Even though all the fans are plugged in.

Check for CPU Fan 1 or something like that labled on the MB. Usually near the socket.

Otherwise try the rest, mem, and CPU seating.

[EDIT] Spelling
Last edited by zgirl on Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:37 pm

Disconnect all of the other peripherals. All you need to get a post is the CPU, vid card, ram and PSU hooked up.

I would suggest setting up outside of the case first.

Try to eliminate as much as possible. You can always add the other components as you go along. I have yet to figure out why most computer magazines encourage hooking everything up first, just to trouble shoot everything later.

You do need to make sure the Heatsink/fan is seated properly and connected to the proper header on your mobo.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

todd
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:33 pm

It was a wire. Thanks guys.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:23 pm

todd wrote:
It was a wire. Thanks guys.

Which one? Glad you got it fixed 8)