techmom
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

want advice on laptop build

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:56 pm

Any ideas on building a desktop replacement laptop for me? Here's what I need:
Battery life-i don't care about battery life. I am looking for a "plug to plug"
use
I do a lot of multitasking, running and going between several applications at once as well as running music in the background
Storage- even though I don't keep all my photos or videos on the hard drive,
I need a lot of space to store stuff till I transfer it to dvd or other storage. I also scan in a lot of my paperwork (a lot) that I do like to keep on the hard drive.
I am not a gamer, so graphics, i think are one way to save some money.
Weight- not an issue.

AMD vs. intel? L2? bus location? hard drive?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:48 pm

You pretty much can't really "build" a notebook in the same sense as you build a desktop. What I'd recommend is an Intel Pentium M. 512mb of RAM, and a 60 gb hdd would be good. A DVD-RW is a very good thing to have. Add on a 15.4" widescreen, and you have a sweet computer. Oh hey, that's exactly what I'm on at the moment.

I'd keep my eyes open at http://www.gotapex.com/ and watch for deals on the Dell Inspiron 6000. I got mine for $750.

Welcome to the forums 8)

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:55 pm

A good NOTEBOOK PC would use a Pentium-M processor for long battery life, would sport a 15" screen, and would weigh under 7 lbs. The Dell Inspiron 6000 is a good example of such a notebook for portable computing with the performance of a desktop PC.

However, you made it clear that you aren't looking for a notebook, but a LUGGABLE desktop replacement PC. In that case, you can spend less, since the Pentium-M is priced rather higher than other X86 processors.

A luggable with a 17" screen and an Athlon64 might weigh 9 lbs or more. Some of these have excellent graphics processors that even make them suitable for gaming. A cheap Pentium4 system might get close to 12 lbs, due to the need for heavier batteries and less use of weight-saving components, but these are the most affordable of all luggable desktop replacement PCs. Pentium4 is a terrible processor for a notebook because it consumes so much more power and dissipates so much more heat than other X86 processors, but if you want a cheap desktop replacement, this may meet your needs for the least amount of money. If it's sitting on your desk, your lap won't be burned by the heat and the wall socket can provide plenty of power.

amphibem
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:39 pm

Id agree with the P4 idea, and Iv seen plenty of cheaper luggables with a 3GHz plus P4 and integrated graphics. In theory an HT-enables chips will be better for the multi-tasking your planning, but as long as you go for a full gig of RAM you cant go to wrong.

Whats your price range?
Phenom II X4 955 BE - 3GB RAM - AMD HD5770 - 640GB WD - Viewsonic 19" - DVDRW - Windows 7

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:43 pm

A pm would be ideal..or amd turion or A64...do not by any means get a "plain jane" P4 in a laptop..no way. Either the PM chip or an A64. Either will have plenty of power for what you need..and i second the dvdrw..a must :wink:

This is a very good deal for $732..this site has great deals daily..

http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/40277

You can also go to sites like this and pretty much configure what you want..with a lappie you always loose something..just try to limit what it is.
http://coboc.com/diy/Config.asp?Section=10001

Try to stay away from the Sony Lappies as well..Toshiba's are good..Uniwill's are as well.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

techmom
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:56 am

ok, are there any dual core processors out there for laptops? also, i do plan to stay away from sonys, i have a sony vaio right now and it was a nightmare for me to install a new hard drive. i finally did replace it with a 100g after my old one fried, but I'm having power problems occasionally so it's a matter of time. I'll plan to look at the sites recommended. right now i've got 512 ram and i've put a lot of things onto a partition, but this is just not nearly the power i'd like.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:28 am

Nope..no dual cores as of yet..prolly wont see them for awhile as it will take a bit to trickle down to the lappies..a few of us in here (3) that i know of have this one here by Uniwill..

http://uniwill.com/products/performance ... p?HL=1&P=2

Ive got the 3400 in mine and you can put up to a 3700(heard a bios is coming for 4000 as well). This lappied is also know as the Battallion ..ABS Mayhem G3..and a few others..Cyberpower.com sells them but you can assemble them thru that site or another for a couple hundred less. :wink:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

techmom
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:13 am

i just relized that i hadn't thanked you all for the replies. thank you!! :) however, please keep any new info coming since it seems that specs evolve so quickly.

techmom
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:34 am

you, know, the more i try to learn about this, the more i get confused! i'm wondering if i can get advice on one component at a time :oops: lets start with the processor. when i try to read benchmarking and overclocking reviews, it seems to be unclear which is the absolute fastest processor (at multitasking) amd 64 3700+ or intel pentium 4. but then they start talking about northwood and whatever, also, some don't have hyperthreading. anyone have info on what the fastest processor would be fora laptop.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:45 pm

In reality, unless you are doing photoshop, anything over 2ghz on an AMD or 2.8ghz on an Intel (or ~1.7 on an intel pentium M) is going to be more than fast enough. It is the amount of memory that is the important part. Get 1gb and you'll be fine.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:23 pm

If you go intel just make sure you get the M chip..not the regular P4..they run hot and dont perform near as well as there brethren...or the A64. If you dont need the light notebook keep an eye on the site i first mentioned..xpbargain.com...HP comes out weekly with sales on the A64 lappies of theirs for around $600. Throw in some more ram and you will be a happy camper :wink:

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:20 am

techmom wrote:
but then they start talking about northwood and whatever, also, some don't have hyperthreading. anyone have info on what the fastest processor would be fora laptop.

For you, I would look at a desktop replacement laptop with a PIV with hyperthreading. Since you've said you don't care about weight, gaming, or battery life, but that you may do some semi-intensive multitasking, go with a 3.2 ghz Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading. You can find these for about $1300 if you look around, even with the 17 inch screens. The Compaqs made by HP are a good choice for you. I found one for my grilfriend a year ago with a 2.8ghz P4 for about $1099 at Office Depot; she had similar needs as you. I would also take Usacomp2k3's good advice and go with 1 GB of RAM. Good luck!

There's this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 5&CatId=17

Or here's a good deal, but AMD, and with shared graphics: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 71&CatId=0

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:14 am

Here is a great deal on something that should fit your needs...upgrade to a 3200 for $50 more and free shipping is included as well :wink:

HP shopping

or this one at Office Depot for $520 shipped.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?id=938024

EDIT by mod. fixed mega-long, page-breaking link :wink: