Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:27 am

I fooled around with an old snapshot of a friend this weekend and tried to make something of it, turned out ok.

LJ
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:43 pm

Interesting shot, Aphasia.

This weekend I went to the Milwaukee zoo with my girlfriend. She took the majority of the shots there, and we were often shooting through dirty plexiglass in very poorly lit conditions (many of these shots are at ISO 3200 and 1/25s). I haven't bothered to reduce the noise on these:

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:36 pm

Very cool Aphasia. What was the rest of the pic of?

and LJ, it looks like you put those cats to sleep. When I went to the Jacksonville zoo last April, they were all asleep too :P

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:42 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
and LJ, it looks like you put those cats to sleep. When I went to the Jacksonville zoo last April, they were all asleep too :P

C'mon, they're cats. They're the only species on the planet that sleeps more than dogs. :wink:

[/hijack]
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:03 pm

I love it how some of you guys put in a disclaimer before your pics like, "I was just shooting quickly...", or "the lighting was bad" or "I had to shoot at ISO 3200 with a long shutter and no tripod" yet the pictures always come out really, really beautiful. Modesty rules, I guess.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Grumpy_Eel
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:09 pm

I love it how some of you guys put in a disclaimer before your pics like, "I was just shooting quickly...", or "the lighting was bad" or "I had to shoot at ISO 3200 with a long shutter and no tripod" yet the pictures always come out really, really beautiful. Modesty rules, I guess.

Lol, i totally agree. I take photos and im happy when the thing i was photographing is in the picture. The guys in here are like "I only had my Turbo 3000x lens and a Gyromatic filter, so im sorry it looks like crap." :D
Your body slaughters millions of bacteria every second... you genocidal maniac.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:21 am

Very cool Aphasia. What was the rest of the pic of?
Nothing actually, the full shot cuts besides the eyes and below the mustache. The rest was just added.
I made a few different versions yesterday.

Well, its the truth though, well, part of it.

So heres the full truth.
It was just a crappy snapshot of a friend and my 1337 photoshop skillz makes it totally awesome. :P
That better? :lol:

Improved version.

Heres another version i was thinking of working further with. Probably making it more like a skull but keeping the eyes.
He, creative processes at work. :lol:

LJ
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:03 am

FireGryphon wrote:

I've actually been extremely impressed with the 20D at ISO 3200 -- generally the extra noise at such a sensitivity would ruin a picture (and 3200 film is very noisy as well). Normally, I'd remove the noise with noise ninja, but it didn't seem that bad on my monitor. It's more noticable on other monitors.

LJ
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:52 am

A old friend's (United States) wedding reception from two weekends ago:

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:56 pm

LJ wrote:
A old friend's (United States) wedding reception from two weekends ago:

thats some young ppl getting married there. how old approx? way early 20s?

how or why do ppl do that? they're not ready. financially or mentally.

i just dont get it. i have proof to back it up to. i've been dj'n weddings
for the past 15 years. i've seen everything from 18 year olds getting married
to 80 year olds getting married and some remarried. and i just dont
understand the younger ones... at all. except that they have rich or
well to do families that can afford such luxuries... have they finished
college? do they have a good career? they own a house? etc....
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:41 pm

I'm planning on getting married early 20's, but you should start a new thread with that q, probably. :wink:

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:56 pm

So yeah, back on the topic of everyone's pictures......
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Klyith
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:19 pm

So, last night as I was coming back from getting some groceries I noticed there was an awesome thundercloud to the north. I got my groceries into the house as fast as I could and ran back out with my camera to a little open park that is a few blocks from my apartment. I barely got there in time -- the sun was setting fast. I had to do some correction to the pics because the light and colors had actually changed signifigantly between the first shot and the last.

What was amazing was how much this thundercloud was changing. When they get too tall they can have their tops blown off because they push up into a level that has some different wind. When I first saw it the top was taller and had barely started to crest, this pic was taken less than 10 minutes later.

Tidal Wave Cloud, Albany NY
Again, panorama by Autostich.

LJ
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:21 pm

Awesome picture, Klyith.

A few more from the zoo. I took the shot of the penguin, but I think my girlfriend snapped all of the rest.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:30 am

A few pics from my recent vacation (we took a cruise from Seattle up to Alaska):

The face of Hubbard Glacier, at Disenchantment Bay, Alaska

For scale, that's a 150-foot high cruise ship in front of the glacier!

Late night up on the deck of the cruise ship Mercury
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:24 am

I love that last one. Wanna e-mail me a full-size copy of that?

quock
Gerbil

Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:27 am

(taken with a coolpix 2200)
Last edited by quock on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:32 am

quock wrote:
Puddle w/leaves

just brew it! wrote:
Boat @ night

I love both of those pictures - until I started following this thread, I always sorta thought that there was little to no talent involved in taking good pictures, that it was just a matter of having a good camera and finding something interesting to take a picture of. I was wrong.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

LJ
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:38 pm

idchafee wrote:
I love both of those pictures - until I started following this thread, I always sorta thought that there was little to no talent involved in taking good pictures, that it was just a matter of having a good camera and finding something interesting to take a picture of. I was wrong.

There is a ton to the technical side of taking good pictures as well. Choosing an appropriate aperture, setting the focus just right, getting the lighting to be appropriate (or to _make_ the picture). And a lot of that will really allow you to bring out an artistic side to photography.

Here's an example of a shot that I think is very simple, but technically excellent if just for the focal area and depth of field being almost flawless. If it wasn't for the execution, this would just be another picture. (I did not take this picture)

Klyith

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:42 pm

idchafee wrote:

Well, you're right and you're wrong. It is much easier for a novice to produce high quality work than it is in other art fields like painting or sculpture. The technical side is easier to judge on quality, but also has a lot of automatic aids. On the artistic side, it's always difficult to judge what makes really good art. Having good or interesting subject material does help. But how you capture the subject is at least as important.

As for the camera itself, a good camera and lens helps a lot if you're trying to take a certain kind of picture. You couldn't reproduce any of Aphasia's macro work without spending a good chunk of money. But there are people who are really into retro-photography, using all sorts of cheap or outdated equipment to take pictures. It's possible to make interesting photographs with a camera you made yourself out of paper.

I would say it doesn't necessarily take talent to produce good pictures, but it does take talent and experience to take good photographs. There's a subtle distinction there.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:19 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I love that last one. Wanna e-mail me a full-size copy of that?

Here ya go: http://justbrewit.net/trstuff/boat.jpg

This was taken with a Fuji E500 (a fairly inexpensive 4MP point 'n' shoot model). The small white dots in the sky which are visible in the full resolution image aren't stars... apparently they are flaws in the camera's image sensor, which only show up on long exposures. Guess I'll need to do a little Photoshopping before printing any of the night scenes... :-?

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:35 pm

a lot of people wrote:
stuff about good picture taking

The one thing you need to take good photos that you cannot buy is the talent for framing a picture correctly. This is as much a skill as hitting a baseball or playing an instrument; you need a knack for it in order to really do it right.

As far as the camera, you don't need a high end camera to take good pictures, but it helps. You need manual controls to get the lighting and the focus just right, and you need good lenses and sesors (or film) to get the detail, color response, and dynamic range that make the picture vibrant and jump out at you.

I have tremendous fun taking artsy photographs with my low-end consumer A95, but I know that no matter how carefullt I frame a subject or tweak the manual controls, there's a certain detail and richness that I can never capture unless I use better equipment.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:01 pm

Fun with mirrors... a self-portrait of sorts, taken in one of the staterooms on the cruise ship.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:06 pm

That's a bizarre picture. Well done.

Grumpy_Eel
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:13 pm

Aphasia those links arent working for me. Gives error message in like dutch or something.

All those flowering trees bring back horrible memories of my school during the spring. They bloom, look like your pics, and make the school smell like a sewer for weeks. Im not even kidding, its a horrible stench.
Your body slaughters millions of bacteria every second... you genocidal maniac.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:09 am

Grumpy_Eel wrote:
Aphasia those links arent working for me. Gives error message in like dutch or something.
It swedish, but try to get to this page if you can. http://www.damocles.nu/pub/images/Photo ... PT/Terror/
I know theres been some trouble with DNS servers in the states in the past, may be one of those things. Here they turn up just fine.
Its the Terror_3.jpg and Terror_4.jpg i posted above, the others are just minor variations without the burn around the right eye, etc.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:06 am

Aphasia wrote:
It swedish, but try to get to this page if you can. http://www.damocles.nu/pub/images/Photos/Ars/

lotsa cool pix, i love it when ppl dont protect their directory via .htaccess or .htm files, so voyeurs can view everything! woo woo

http://www.damocles.nu/pub/images/Photo ... lipinerna/ = oh how i love the philippines!

http://www.damocles.nu/pub/files/Motettkoren/Gallery/ = a singing group?

http://www.damocles.nu/pub/images/Temp/Skvader.jpg = i know this isnt real

http://www.damocles.nu/pub/files/PDF/ = good adobe pdf files to download, i hope they're in english!
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:44 pm

Thats why they are under the http://www.damocles.nu/pub directory... pub, as in public. I still have closed directories, but not under public. :wink:

So do i, im going back there someday when ive been to a few other places too.

Yeah, its a classical choir, just before they performed the "Passion of John". The dark-haired older male tenor is an opera-singer that performed the role of phantom in phantom of the opera. I had promised to do some shots for them as a friend of mine is singing in the choir. The group shot are my first group-shot ever, and thats 15 minutes before the show, with a 200 people audience behind my back watching me take the shots. No pressure, no pressure at all... :o 2 of 5 shots was usuable, and the one selected is fine when i took out a few spots where the sun shone. Then im happy with it considering i stand 3 meters infront of the choir, on the directors podium with mikes and instruments just outside the photo on all sides. :D Nah, all things considered, im incredibly happy how it turned out, even though true focus was kindof on the wall behind em.

The skvader is actually real, in so far as its real animal parts thats been stuffed. It was actually a joke by a preserver. There had been rumours of this odd beast going around, the skvader, so he actually did one and placed it out in the woods for a hunter to find. The stuffed animal(s) itself is in the biological museum here in stockholm.

Although i yanked some of the pdf´files, they were meant for my friend that has the server in his home, and there isnt upload speed enough for me to give out the large ones. I probably shouldnt distribute em, but they are available for download at several other sites including Adobe and adobe related sites. Of course they are in english, i rarely read anything in sweden unless its the original language of the work in question.

Oh, long post, but everything gots its story i guess. And the trip to the philippines is probably a good sized paper in itself.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:54 pm

Aphasia wrote:
Oh, long post, but everything gots its story i guess. And the trip to the philippines is probably a good sized paper in itself.

awesome - i'd love to hear about it... plz post!

and if u wanna gander at my filipino pix, click the url below:

http://www.thegleek.com/pix/thumbnails.php?album=2

JavaDog

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:34 pm

Another one for ya'll: