Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

crystalcrow
Gerbil
Topic Author

Chipset FSB vs. CPU FSB

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:25 pm

How critical is it that your MOBO Chipset FSB matches your CPU FSB??...or are all MOBO automatically setup due to their socket for the chipset to match the CPU FSB???

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:32 pm

The FSB is pretty much the FSB. However, for your CPU, as long as your motherboard's BIOS can identify the CPU (there are cool identifiers within the CPU that tell the BIOS what CPU it is), the FSB will be automatically configured to your CPU.

Overclocking is when you increase the FSB a bit. Or more than a bit. You can also, and this is what I think you are talking about, set your CPU FSB higher than your RAM FSB. This is what is called an asynchronous FSB.

My personal opinion: Don't mess with Async. It often makes your computer run slower rather than faster.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Zenith
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:36 pm

If you buy a CPU that's front side bus is higher than your Chipsets supported FSB, then your CPU will either not operate, or will automatically be reduced in speed signifigantly to match the chipsets FSB (Assuming we're talking about one socket).

In the case of the Athlon64's, it doesn't really matter. As long as your board supports the core, the FSB (Which is actually the HT link) doesn't get involved.
I have discovered that all human evils come from this, man's inability to sit still in a room. ~Blaise Pascal

crystalcrow
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:42 pm

Yeah..that's it....I noticed that some Socket 939(AMD64) mobo's support 2000Mhz FSB and some support only up to 800Mhz....so note to self ...when matching mobo to cpu...make sure FSB's match up. Are there any other detailed CRITICAL Matchups between the CPU and mobo I should look into???