Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

[HD] FREE Opera Browser 8/30/05 ONLY

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:05 pm

http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml

Happy 10th opera! Good for 1 free ad-free registration key.

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:08 pm

Mint!

I really like Opera and its mouse gestures but have been using Firefox because it is free. It might be time to see what has changed in Opera 8.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:09 pm

hmmm...i can't get it to load (gee, I wonder why...:lol:)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:10 pm

Dirge wrote:
Mint!

I really like Opera and its mouse gestures but have been using Firefox because it is free. It might be time to see what has changed in Opera 8.
You can get equivalent gesture functionality in firefox pretty easily, for whatever that's worth. I prefer the all-in-one gestures extension.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:11 pm

I still use firefox because I just do, but hey its free and its just another browser I want to play with. Schweet.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:30 pm

Dirge wrote:
Mint!

Gestures? What the heck is that?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:33 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Dirge wrote:
Mint!

Gestures? What the heck is that?
http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF ... res&btnI=I

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:40 pm

Their site doesn't seem to be paying attention whatsoever. I put my email address in a second time just to see what happens and they gave me another set of codes. I figure I'll give them out to family and friends :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:50 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Their site doesn't seem to be paying attention whatsoever. I put my email address in a second time just to see what happens and they gave me another set of codes. I figure I'll give them out to family and friends :lol:

:wink: first thing I tried too. We are jerks :lo:

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:17 pm

Yeah, I'm still leaving the affiliate link in my sig... I figure I can give the code away, and I can still play with statwhoring, like we see in F@H :lol:

FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm

They deserve every penny they charge for their browser. Compared to IE and FF, it's lightyears ahead IMO.
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:41 pm

FubbHead wrote:
They deserve every penny they charge for their browser. Compared to IE and FF, it's lightyears ahead IMO.

In all seriousness, because I have no idea, what can it do that FF can't with plugins or the like? Hey if it's free and better I'll use it.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:48 pm

pete_roth wrote:
FubbHead wrote:

In all seriousness, because I have no idea, what can it do that FF can't with plugins or the like? Hey if it's free and better I'll use it.
Very little or nothing, but it's more integrated and probably feels a tad more cohesive. Some people like that, some prefer firefox.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:59 pm

It can do tons of stuff that Firefox needs extensions for, and be smaller and faster than Firefox WITHOUT any extensions.

The main advantage to Firefox? The ability to add extensions.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:16 pm

Well I have a free ad-free version now, no reason not to give it a whirl. I'll throw it on my home pc when I get there. Posting in support of posting at work!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:47 pm

it's not a bad browser, at least on the Mac. It's as faster with Flash than Safari (which also cheats; I was trying to get CPU usage with a flash animation and as soon as the Safari window lost focus, it paused the anmation...) and CPU usage with flash is lower. My scroll wheel was touch at first, but it's because wheel scrolling in Safari is fewer lines at a time. Once I reset that, I really like it. Nice little browser, very fast and clean and uses less memory than Firefox, though more than Safari. Wouldn't have paid for it at this point (until some Opera-only feature I can't live without comes along) but now that I have it, it'll probably be my default, at least until the novelty wears off.

NeRve
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:50 pm

How much better if Opera to Firefox? I got the free registration key, but Im wondering if I should migrate from FF to Opera?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:55 pm

I don't know how much better it is than Firefox on the PC...Firefox in Windows is an awesome browser, though I haven't tried Opera in Windows yet. It's pretty awesome, though, with the exception of not rendering my company's Exchange webmail in a readable fashion. :-?

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:42 pm

Press F12, click "Identify as Opera". Try getting on your Exchange webmail again.

What's happening is that OWA is sending a page that uses IE's features, b/c Opera is ID'ing as IE. Set it to ID as Opera, and you'll get a page that just uses JavaScript.

Also, keep it set to ID as Opera - that way, Opera's market share will be more properly reflected in UA logs that incorrectly ID Opera as IE (even when Opera's pretending to be IE, it says Opera in the UA. However, some UA logging apps check for IE first, instead of Opera, and undercount Opera.)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:49 pm

I hit F12 and got my Dashboard (the default hotkey for both things), but I did find the identifier under a "quick preferences" submenu. That worked like a charm.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:52 pm

Ah... I forgot you were on a Mac.

According to the Opera keyboard preferences, the default key for Quick Preferences in the Mac version is Alt-F12, not F12...

I see you found it in the menus, though :D

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:26 pm

I tried to register my opera when I got it usingthe key in my email and It didn't work. *sigh*

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:29 pm

Hmm... that's not good...

I'll ask in the My.Opera IRC channel... right now, the community's down for MAJOR upgrades...