Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:02 am

Not sure if any of you guys agree with me on this one. I do understand that CPU and Graphics belong in the same cataegory. But I just liked the catageory system that you guys had before mixing them together to be honest. Even though they are in the same order, it just feels like they are all scrambled together :?. I dont think the system before was bad at all, made it very very easy for people that were new to the forums to find exactly what they were looking for.. If anything they should be put back the way they were and just catageorize the other hardwares a bit more.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:34 am

The hardware section is a bit large and unwieldy. The forums are now logically grouped so I can't think about how they'd be rearranged, but it'd be nice to whittle Hardware down a bit.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:06 am

meh, the hardware section is fine. I like it better now.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:09 am

Needs to be split into Processors (with the General Processors forum in there), Graphics (with General Graphics), and Other Hardware (with General Hardware), IMO.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:42 pm

The system builder forum is working quite well. It seems to be very popular with first-time posters, too.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:52 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
The system builder forum is working quite well.
The only drawback that I see is that almost every thread to which I reply shortly thereafter gets whisked off to System Builders Anonymous. I'm not intentionally collecting them. Honest!
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:09 pm

Yeah, that is one thing I've noticed.

We need to make it more clear that ANY requests for component selection should be made in SBA. I'm no mod, but something tells me that the mods' lives would be made easier if they weren't moving threads to SBA all day...

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:03 pm

If you ask me (which you didn't :lol: ) the AMD and Intel forums are almost pointless. Not quite, but almost.

"Which Athlon should I use?" -> SBA
"How far can I OC this Pentium?" -> Overclocking, Cooling
"AMD's stock went down again" -> OK, that can stay

Wierd.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:06 pm

flip-mode wrote:
"AMD's stock went down again" -> OK, that can stay.

Heh...up .60 cents today...im lovin it too :lol:

Get rid of the AMD forum and we would have to listen to you know who most of the time :wink:
Last edited by LicketySplit on Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:08 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
flip-mode wrote:
"AMD's stock went down again" -> OK, that can stay.

Heh...up .60 cents today...im lovin it too :lol:

LOL, cool! Is there a thread in AMD Asylum yet? :lol:

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:10 am

Although I didnt think about it... The Intel and AMD forums are very close to pointless, he is right. But still yet, I think it gives people a sense of where to post their topics on each brand as they do vary so much these days, even more so with the advent of Dual Cores. I do miss having an ATI and Nvidia section under graphics..

The thing with the forums espeically including myself is that not to many people seem to be making posts to state things or give information out... its people (again like myself) asking questions out of the yeng yang in order to learn as much as possible. The point of the Intel/AMD and the likes is for people to state information about the topic area, not to ask for help. I agree that the majority of the threads created under any catageory almost always belongs under SBA. IMO id say that we need sections similar to before but reformed with a forums in each catageory for people to go get help on that target area if they need to. SBA shouldnt be for evey single little question about hardware for christ sakes, at that rate all of the other forums are virtually useless.

At this point I find it VERY difficult to come up with a good forum map. I have a basic idea of things, but it repeats itself which is of course what we do not need in TR.

Administration
-Announcements

Proccessors
-AMD
-Intel
-Proccessor Help

Graphics
-ATI
-Nvidia
-Graphics Help

Other Hardware
-Motherboards
-Sound Cards
-RAM
-Hard Drives
-Optical Drives
-Monitors

Overclocking, Tweaking & Cooling
-Proccessor
-Graphics
-System

Software
-Linux, Unix, and Assorted Madness
-Windows
-Developer's Den
-Software Help

The things you see saying "Help" at the end are supposed to be for people who specifically need help instead of putting every topic in SBA. When you see the brand or normal catageory, its supposed to be for discussion ect, not saying "OMG this isnt working" as i typically do. So lets review..

EXAMPLE
Nvidia Help = "OMG My 6600 is screwed, someone help me"
Nvidia = "The comparison between a 6800 LE and 6800 Vanilla"

Its a pretty simple concept and would allow for mods to not have to keep moving all posts to SBA... Im TOTALLY for someone revising the list i made above, it was a crude rough draft to give you an example.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:26 am

I think its too finely aggregated.

Hardware
-Processors
-Graphics
-Other Hardware
-Overclocking, Cooling, Tweaking, Moding
-System Builders Anonymous

Software
-Windows
-OSX
-Developer's Den
-Other Software

Technology
-(leave as is except move Apple to software)

General Discussion
-(leave as is)

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:28 am

Klyith wrote:
Phlaim Beight wrote:
1. Overclocking forum is redundant
I'm probably the only one that thinks this, but I think the Overclocking, tweaking forum is redundant. You're either overclocking and AMD, an Intel, an ATI, or an Nvidia. so post about overclocking in the respective forum.

I don't think that's a good idea. Most of the time overclocking depends on multiple components. CPU, mobo, and ram are often all a part of the porcess of getting the best overclock.

Who is this Phlaim Beight joker? I find this individual to be very annoying.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:47 pm

I dont agree on the overclocking thing. I think that it should be seprate from all of the others. Having cooling, tweaking overclocking in one is a great idea as all of them go hand and hand, that forum is labeled properly as is now.

I will admit that what i posted for the layout is very maticulous at this point, but it was supposed to be. I liked the old way of doing it even though half of it didnt make sense, the half that I used was great. I want peoples feedback, people need to actually use their heads so that we can come up with something that makes sense. I would really like to see it change from what it is now, i still havent gotten used to it still dispite trying.

However, seprate forums for the two main brands of procs and GPU's would be a good idea. Otherwise people have to go into the same forums and pick through hoping to run into something they want to talk about. Id say keep them seprate with a catageory like "Other" or something to signifiy the trace of other brands.

Administration
-Announcements

Proccessors
-AMD
-Intel
-Other
-Proccessor Help

Graphics
-ATI
-Nvidia
-Other
-Graphics Help

Other Hardware
-Motherboards
-Sound Cards
-RAM
-Hard Drives
-Optical Drives
-Monitors
-Other Hardware
-Hardware Help

System Builder Annyomous (Help)
-New Build
-Upgrading

Overclocking, Tweaking & Cooling
-Proccessor
-Graphics
-System

Software
-Windows
-Developer's Den
-Software Help

Ok, changed a little bit. Other was added. I figured an SBA of course with 2 options... New Builds and Just upgrading existing systems would make some sense. This is not to replace the Help sections under each catageory. The help is for troublshooting, problems.. ect. The Upgrading is for "What part do I buy now!!!"

With the above system (modified names or whatever) I think it will allow for a much more organized community. Should also take some of the spotlight off of SBA and give that forums a rest. That thing blew up within the first few weeks of being made and has become exetremely active. The goal of organizing the forums is to allow users to find topic and post topics much faster and easier... is it not?

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:11 pm

meh, not too taken with your proposals.

1.) [repeat]too finely aggregated - lump some stuff together[/repeat]
2.) what are the "help" forums all about? just get help in the normal forum as it has always been done.
3.) isn't the current arrangement pretty much set in stone for a while?
4.) what's bad about SBA being active?

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:08 pm

Nothing against SBA being active, its one of the best forums they ever added given that a high % of the people who come here are trying to build a rig, and to bring new people that is by far the best thing to have. Im just saying that if all traffic gets redirected into SBA we might as well just have a few less forums.

<Repeat> Im TOTALLY for someone revising the list i made above, it was a crude rough draft to give you an example.</Repeat>

I want anyone who feels like it to do the same I did, or take what I did and modifiy it in any manner you want, give your 2 cents.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:35 pm

I think they are pretty much ok the way they are. Just like before a couple forums got cut cuz they werent being used, if thats the case here , im sure that will happen again. Kinda like your car engine, you know, get a few miles on it before you change the oil again :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:13 am

I still think it would be better to have a general troubleshooting forum...

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:37 pm

Yahoolian wrote:
I still think it would be better to have a general troubleshooting forum...

It's called general hardware.
Or at least that's where we mods move those type of things, unless it's obviously a windows problem.

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:13 pm

So pretend you're new to the site, and you're trying to fix a problem. You don't know what kind of problem it is, so you don't know where to put it. So perhaps you'll just go to a different site or put it in the wrong one, requiring the mods to move it to somewhere else. A general troubleshooting forum would make for less moving of posts that are asking for help, which would mean less work for the mods.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:58 pm

Well I can't speak for the rest of the mods, but I for one do not mind in the least moving threads by first-time posters.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:31 am

I guess we could go on and on forever with this and people would still be unhappy. Nevermind on the changes, I figure as long as I can understand it then I should be unhappy. Unfortunatly there are going to be people that are new to the site and they arent going to know where to go when they want to make a post. I guess it is a form of Natural Selection lol, if they arent un-noobish enough to find the forums they want to post in then they are going to die off :P

Deathright
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:15 am

Hey i was wondering if we could create a security fourm for one finding holes around secruity features in window,linux,Macos,etc......I am not a hacker per say, however my school has unquie arangement with the students, if we can hack do it but then tell us and we will plug and force you to becoming better type deal, a fourm to deal with this would be most helpful.
Network theory sucks.

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:09 am

I'm pretty sure that the entire forum would be against the rules.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:09 am

Deathright wrote:
Hey i was wondering if we could create a security fourm for one finding holes around secruity features in window,linux,Macos,etc......I am not a hacker per say, however my school has unquie arangement with the students, if we can hack do it but then tell us and we will plug and force you to becoming better type deal, a fourm to deal with this would be most helpful.

Um, read Forum Rule #1.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Deathright

Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:05 pm

There is nothing in rules about it, rule #1 pretains to p2p and such things.
Network theory sucks.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:09 pm

Deathright wrote:
There is nothing in rules about it, rule #1 pretains to p2p and such things.

Doesn't matter, not going to happen. 1st of all, its borderline illegal at best, outright illegal at worst. Go ahead and post that question though, it'll get locked with a quickness. :roll:
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Deathright

Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:55 pm

How is it illegal to look for ways to get past os sercruity inoder to patch it.
Network theory sucks.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:01 pm

:roll:

idchafee, it's technically not ILLEGAL.

Now, back to you, Deathright. First, TR is not a security research forum - it's a PC enthusiasts forum. If you want to discuss security research, there's other forums that are specifically for that.

Second, the main problem with security research is that even if someone isn't meaning to cause attacks on a system by revealing a flaw, someone else will find out about that flaw and cause attacks, without giving the developer a chance to patch it. There's a protocol for security researchers to reveal their findings, involving giving the developer a chance to fix the problem before revealing the flaw to the public.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:09 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
idchafee, it's technically not ILLEGAL.

Hacking is technically ILLEGAL and all we have is his word that he's not hacking. You might be the trusting type. I'm not. And TR shouldn't be either.

edit: and like I said, go ahead, go ahead and post your question. We have a networking forum, we have a Windows forum and we have a mac forum. Go ahead and post your question about hacking them in any of those forums, and then start a stopwatch and see how fast it gets locked.
Last edited by idchafee on Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!