Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:02 am

In terms of wireless, no there's nothing special. XP SP2's built in wireless config is quite good. Plus most network card drivers have their own managers, which some prefer. Be prepared that wireless is going to be rather slow, and I wouldn't recommend it except for the occasional file access. In my experiences, it is just too slow for largish transfers.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:21 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Be prepared that wireless is going to be rather slow, and I wouldn't recommend it except for the occasional file access. In my experiences, it is just too slow for largish transfers.

I'll second that. In my experience as well, the current crop of wireless protocols just can't cut it with regards to streaming videos. If you expect seamless streaming of video files using wireless then you'll be sorely disappointed.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:40 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
Damn, that sucks, even at 54mbps? I am guessing it never comes close to that speed then huh. :(

You have to remember that 54mbps can only be achieved under 'optimal' operating conditions. And we all know how rare those instances can be, given the sheer number of variables that can affect wireless performance. I've had so many headaches dealing with wireless that I only use it for web browsing on my pda and one remote computer in my home.

I wish I could say better things about the current wireless technology. Oh well, we can always hope that the next generation of wireless tech provides more bandwidth and reliability.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:21 am

flybywire wrote:

I'll second that. In my experience as well, the current crop of wireless protocols just can't cut it with regards to streaming videos. If you expect seamless streaming of video files using wireless then you'll be sorely disappointed.

How can this be, when DVD video averages 6-8 mbps? You'd think wireless would be more than enough to transfer that.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:35 am

Vrock wrote:
flybywire wrote:

How can this be, when DVD video averages 6-8 mbps? You'd think wireless would be more than enough to transfer that.

Yeah, you would think. But from my experiences, it just didn't work very well. Perhaps other people out there are having better results than I have. :-?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:26 am

flybywire wrote:

Yeah, you would think. But from my experiences, it just didn't work very well. Perhaps other people out there are having better results than I have. :-?

I would bet it has less to do with bandwidth and more to do with signal drop out.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:45 am

Vrock wrote:
flybywire wrote:

I would bet it has less to do with bandwidth and more to do with signal drop out.

I suppose that would be a better explanation. I just wish that wireless would be more reliable and not be so finicky. It really is true that one can't have a cake and it eat it too. :(

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:36 pm

XP home allow "simple file sharing" which is essentially the same as normal file sharing with a dummy-down interface. The way to map drives and stuff are the same.

For real streaming, there are streaming server apps out there that you may be able to find. VLC is supposed to be one.