Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thermaltake Xaser

Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:46 pm

Anyone use these cases?

I am considering getting one probably next spring.

Any info good or bad is appreciated.

Thanx

:o
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:00 pm

I know someone with one. It seems pretty quiet, but I hate the look of it and think it's overpriced.
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

BlueC4
Gerbil First Class

Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:43 pm

I have the Thermaltake Xaser II case... Its very nice, the price is worth it 100%, quiet and has very good air flow, keeps everything cool...

It comes with the Hardcano thing,which cools the HD bay and shows the current temp (wherever you put the Temp. Sensor) and you can control the CPU fan speed right where the Temp is displayed. I usualy just run it on low cause its quiet, but when Im doing any O/Cing, I just set it on high. I would reccomend it 100%, its a very nice case.
Abit AV8 Mobo, AMD 64 3000+ (Venice) (O/C'd to 2ghz)/ 1024mb (512mb x 2) Dual-Channel DDR PC3700 / 2x WD 120GB SATA / Samsung 16x Dual-Layer DVD-RW / GeForce 6600GT / Antec Case w/ 430watt Antec PSU

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:28 pm

Blue C4:
I have a Volcano 7. Is it possible to disable the speed control?
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:29 pm

All the Thermaltake Xaser II is is a modified chieftec/antec dragon type case with some sensors, modified front door, modified colors, and a temperature control and readout. While definately a nice case, it is not too much different from the cases that you can buy for $69 on Newegg.com. I personally don't think that this is worth paying $100 more for the Xaser II, but each to his own. I personally was looking at that case for a while before I finally picked up a blue aluminum Chengming with a window (same case as Xaser II minus some of the extras). I am extremely happy with it. It has room for 5 case fans, more bays than I will ever need in my life, a huge window, and is very roomy inside so it is easy to work on. Any type of case that you get that is of this type I think you will be very happy with your purchase. :)
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:45 pm

hoser - The Volcano 7's fan speed control is the fan and the thermistor, that's all. Cutting off the thermistor and directly connecting the two wires that went to it will force 100% speed all the time, and replacing the thermistor with a variable potentiometer will give you manual speed control.

eric
Gerbil XP

Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:57 pm

I would wait a few weeks and get the Xaser 3 it has a improved Hardcano and a full length front door that gives you access to the front fans filters.
P4 2.4@ 3.0 Asus P4PE, Corsair PC3200, Leadtek Ti4600, WD 80gig SE, Turtle Beach Sound, Enermax Power

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:59 am

Cool....thanx guys. :)

Guess I'd better keep saving! (damn, I like the looks of that case!)

Eckslax: I'm the type of guy that looks for esthetics and performance to be bundled together, and that case does it for me. Thanx for the input though. :wink:
-Unknown Veteran

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:54 pm

Hoser: You are going to be getting one hell of a nice case if you get the Xaser, despite it being kind of spendy, it is in my opinion one of the nicest cases out there. Hope you will be happy with it. :)
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Ronin
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:52 am

I have a Xaser II A5000A and I'm the first to have a Xaser III...the aluminum V2000+ model.

My exclusive review will be up tomorrow. :D

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:57 pm

I'm using a Xaser II A6000+ case. The aluminum is lightweight. The case fans move a lot of air while making very little noise. The large window reveals the sides of the drive cages. I believe that the smaller window would have looked better.

The XaserII lacks front panel air filters like those found in the Xaser III or Antec 1080AMG.

The temperature display in the Hardcano had the battery installed at the factory. Consequently, the original alkaline cell was almost dead when I got the case. Replacing it with a new lithium watch/calculator battery solved that problem.

The case is nice enough, but if I were doing it over, I would get the Chenming/Antec/Chieftec/Enermax version that has the front panel air filter, the smaller window, and the separate front panel USB & firewire ports that would not use a 5¼" drive bay. The black Evercool version of the orange Thermaltake 80x25mm fans in the case can be purchased at five fans for $23.