Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Mr. D
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Did I get ripped off buying this Samsung CD-RW?

Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:53 am

Can you guys tell me if I got ripped off with my new Samsung SW-248B CD-RW drive? I've heard all of you saying Lite-On is the drive to have but I just went out and bought this Samsung for around $70...just for the 8MB cache. I've never had a coaster yet =) thank you.
Last edited by Mr. D on Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you didn't know, now you know..."

mrfixitx100
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:05 am

I think 'ripped-off' is a relative thing......if you bought something and you are happy with it, how could you be ripped off?

Samsung is not my first choice for ANYTHING, having a box of about 30 CD-Rom drives in my basement, that ALL failed within 3 months of purchase and no where to RMA them, but you may have better luck with Samsung than I did.

Currently I use/sell LG burners cost is about $30 for a 40X (white box) and so far so good....a failure rate of about 5% and PROMPT RMA's.

pez-king
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:45 am

if the drive is performing the way you need it to then you should be happy!

As far as the price you paid, it seems reasonable. Maybe you over paid by alittle but not much.

I have used an old school phillips 404 cdrw for for about 4 years up until last week when i upgraded to an external buslink/lite-on 48x burner. i paid $120 for that.