Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

lumock
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sony Dru 500A vs Pioneer DVR A05.......

Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:11 pm

Does anyone know the pros and cons of these 2 machines........how they compare with each other from a performance view point?

TIA

b3n113
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Sony Dru 500A vs Pioneer DVR A05.......

Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:14 pm

Pioneer has a superior build quality <imo> and doesn't support DVD+R/RW .. however I don't think that standard is going any where so I picked up a A05, and love it - haven't had a single coaster using everything from **** generic media to pioneer / imation / verbatium media.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:16 pm

The only difference I can see is that for an extra $50. you get dual format support with the sony.

If you don't care for using DVD+RW. I would save the money and get the Pioneer.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:47 am

Let's just hope that the industry will come to an agreement on a standard format. This is getting rather rediculous with all of these variations.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

b3n113
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:53 am

All these variations? Two qualifies as "all these"? :)

You do raise a good point, DVD+RW should give up. ;)

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:49 pm

I read an article that 16X DVD-R is coming along soon. If DVD+R does not keep up, this should leave them behind for good.

lumock
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Is seperate stand alone DVD reader required?

Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:50 pm

I am about to order a DVD burner ( probably the Pioneer DVR A05 over the Sony DrU 500A). When is it necessary or advantageous to have an additional stand alone DVD reader? I will be duplicating DVDs

TIA

The 16X DVD-R isn't due out until at least
March '04....that will be cool!

flying hippo
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:16 am

I had a similar dilemma. I wanted to make DVD and LD video backups when I was looking for a DVD burner. I agree with the above comments. I would also add that Sony doesn't have as good a reputation as Pioneer as far as burners go and Pioneer doesn't isn't as reliable as a company like Plextor or Lite on.

If you want to duplicate movie DVDs be advised that many DVDs are on a dual layer format which has a higher capacity than that of DVD-R or DVD+R so even if you defeat the copy protection you can't copy a DVD movie onto DVD-R or DVD+R to make a back up without ripping the DVD. It is impossible to keep the resolution high and keep the menus and all of the other information from one DVD video disk onto a single DVD-/+R disk. If you are copying DVD-R to DVD-R for example that is another story.

So copying a DVD isn't as simple as a sounds. Add to the fact that both burners are really slow compared to CD-R/RW speeds, I decided to get neither and wait until a more reliable company makes a faster drive. I ended up getting a fast CD-R/RW burner and a fast DVD player. I can still rip DVDs with this equipment at faster speeds, with more reliable technology for less money. The only down side is CD-Rs low capacity.

Whether or not DVD- will beat DVD+ is anybody's guess. So that would make the Sony drive more appealing. I'm thinking that DVD- will win out eventually but buy the time they finally decide on a standard, I'm willing to bet that there will be faster cheaper drives available that you'll end up buying anyway.

As you may or may not know, the Pioneer A03 (or A04?) is being sold in Mac computers. A buddy of mine picked up the slower A03 and hasn't had a problem with it. They haven't had a major recall yet, plus I see more DVD- media in stores. So if you can't wait I would suggest the A05 over the Sony too but if I were you I would save your money wait a year or so until the industry makes a better product.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:40 am

Flying Hippo, check out software called DVDXCopy, it allows you to make backups of your DVDS.

And my vote is the DRU500a, I just picked one up not too long ago, and it's well worth the money. Knowing that I won't have any compatibility issues with any dvd out there is worth it. It's a very fine burner.

menes
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:12 pm

I looked at both these drives and for me they were both missing one format, DVD-RAM. I want the capability to store 9 Gig on a disk for backing up my RAID.

The Panasonic LF-D521U looks like it does it all.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 2-1022%20P
A blessing to you, Menes, who fertilizes the mother. Deep is the secret of what you did to her in the dark.

lumock
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:32 am

Thanx guys. I have DxDV Copy, that's why I'm looking for a burner 8) Once that piece of software hit the market, that made me jump onto the DVD bandwagon. Then again, logically speaking, Flying Hippo is right about one thing, though, "...if I were you I would save your money wait a year or so until the industry makes a better (faster?) product." But the 16x DVD-R isn't due until Mar '04 at the earliest and I can't wait that long :roll: ...... Besides the DVDx, is there any other DVD authoring software that you would recommend as must have?

flying hippo
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:40 am

Yeah, For the most part I meant faster when I said better. It takes a long time to burn a DVD at x4 speed.

I didn't know about DVDx copy. Thanks for the info.

Doom9.org maybe helpful for you. I just check the site, they have a link to new a plextor DVD+R burner. Personally I would trust Plextor over Sony. But I still think DVD-R is better but anyway it's worth a look...I don't know about authoring software, but there might be something on that web site.

menes
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:02 pm

Yeah, its a bummer to have all of the available DVD formats and no drive supporting them all.
Plus recording a 1x, 2x is pretty slow, but not many drives available do 4x using -R, +R, -RW and -RAM.

I ordered the Panasonic LF-D521U today, and will post my experience with the drive if anyones interested. :)
A blessing to you, Menes, who fertilizes the mother. Deep is the secret of what you did to her in the dark.

lumock
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:36 pm

Thanx for the Doom 9.Org site. it really has a lot of info!

Also - I keep wavering between the Sony DRU-500 and the Pioneer DVR-A05 - Does anyone know where the head-to-head Burn-time speeds between these two drives are posted?

Ronin
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:58 am

In my opinion, the Sony is superiour...

lumock
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:48 pm

Hey Ronin,
I'm interested in your opinion as to why you think Sony's Dru-500A is superior to Pioneer's A05 - other than the given that the Sony includes the + R / +RW format - because I keep going back and forth between the two. I need some facts to help me decide once and for all.

TIA

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:36 am

I am just going to wait for the LiteOn Dual standard DVD burner for sub $200 due out second quarter this year. :D

menes
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:32 pm

Just got the Panasonic LF-D521 and I think its better than both the Sony or Pioneer.
Does -R, -RW, DXD-RAM (4.7 & 9.4), CD-R, & CD-RW.
Backup up my RAID on two 9.4 disks.
Ripped/copied "Hannibal", and plays great on my Pioneer set-top dvd drive.

fink
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:45 pm

TomsHardware just did a big article on DVD(+/-)RW drives. You might want to check it out before plonking down you dough.

Toms DVD Info[/url]