Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

hefley
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Cutting blowholes

Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:06 pm

What is the best way to cut blowholes in the side panel of a case? (Metal side panel)

nismo
Gerbil

Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:26 pm

I am curious as well. I think all you need to do is trace where you want the hole to be cut, and where the screw holes will be. Then use a dremel cutting wheel or other similar cutting tool for steel.

As I haven't done this to my case yet, I'm not sure that is the proper method. I plan on doing this eventually with either a 80 or 120 mm fan on the side of my case, so any advice would be helpfull.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:44 pm

Search on the net, there is tons of how-to's out there, or go to ars and search there.

Some few things, get a good cutting tool, either a dremel which is good for small ones, or a holesaw. Use tape or something to mask both sides, and get a good block of something under it so the metal dont bend at the edges. Cut slowly letting the wheel speed/sharpness do the work, not pressure. Clean up the edges after that. Watch for heat so it doesnt discolour coating and edges of hole if you aint gonna cover it with something.

Those are some few things that i remember seeing.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:49 pm

With a heavy steel side panel, it would be a real chore to cut the hole with a Dremel tool. The Dremel is just not well-suited to the task, especially if you are using the ceramic cutting disks (get the fiber composite disks instead!). A hole saw, on the other hand, is just the ticket for making large and perfectly round holes in things. That's what I used to add a blow-hole to the side of my Antec case last year.

http://www.littleblackdog.com/viewtopic.php?t=9211

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:19 pm

Dremels only really work well on aluminum cases as it is easier to cut through the pannels. Use a hole saw, it can go through the steel a lot better than the dremel. A friend of mine tried to cut a fan hole in the side of his case with a dremel, and he ended up breaking about 20 or so cutting discs before he got the hole cut.