Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:28 pm

I finally got down to cropping some of my pictures into 16:10 ratio backgrounds. So I now have a random cycling of 142 wallpapers for my background. Check them out if you want:
http://usacomp.zapto.org/gallery/Someofmywallpapers

Some are artistic, some are memory, some are just cool, but all were taken by me 8)

EDIT: if anyone wants a more high-res, I can probably provide that. 8)

90º to Reality
Gerbil XP

Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:52 pm

nice collection there! quite a few of them are very interesting.

Im lookin for a place to throw up a few images i have shot/edited for one of my classes. Any suggestions?
Head on collision is inevitable.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:45 pm

For just hosting, use http://imageshack.us. Or do you mean a more permanent gallery?

90º to Reality
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:45 am

imageshack looks like it would do for the short term. Much appreciated, thanks!

i suppose i should kinda look into finding some sort of permenant solution.

time to slim down some of my images i guess.

90º to Reality
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:05 pm

Edit:The first is the original, the second is photoshopped a bit. Let me know if edited pictures should find another home and i shall gladly remove it.

Edit: Since this is the "photography" thread I moved the edited to here
Last edited by 90º to Reality on Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:13 pm

You're a talented 3D artist, 90, but a render doesn't belong in this thread.

It'd be nice to see the original version of the second photo. With the exception of the green, the edit isn't all that bad.

I'm not sure what others think of this, but I'd like to keep greatly edited images absent from this thread.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:28 pm

Gryphen, why doesnt it? I would say photoshops work just fine. Or where do you draw the line. Cross-processing, dark-room editing, which can all do the same effects. Its not like its a 3D render or something.

To clarify my standpoint a bit. I think its the image that matters, and what it shows, editing or no editing. Retouching is a fact of the real world and you just about doesnt see any image in the daily commercials or anything that hasent been edited. Its one thing to claim you have a perfect documentary piece but you have edited, but as long as one specifies its edited i see absolutely no point in not having them.

Also, its a matter of taste. Drawing the limit for editing goes where? A bit too high bump in the saturation, or the levels, retouching dust, full composites, and so forth.

Take a look at VelvetG's photos in the Perpetual Photography Thread on arstechnica for instance. All of them are tweaked, and are the better for it.
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee ... 1884/p/289
Last edited by Aphasia on Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:33 pm

90: That's a beautiful original image. Nice work.

Aphasia wrote:
Gryphen, why doesnt it? I would say photoshops work just fine. Or where do you draw the line. Cross-processing, dark-room editing, which can all do the same effects. Its not like its a 3D render or something.

Otherwise we would have to take out a good deal of the images already posted, and with the fact its underused as it is...

I'm not against editing images. I do it myself -- some contrast, corrected exposure -- it's all part of taking good photographs and making sure they come out right.

I am, however, against taking a photograph and changing colors, hues, and otherwise altering an image wildly from its original form and posting it in this thread. That's no longer photography, as post processing is more important than the actual picture-taking. Such art has merit in its own right, but it is not as pure photography as this thread has become, and belongs in a thread all its own.

EDIT: I like 90's render and his photo alteration very much, and think he should start a new thread that is dedicated to digital art.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:43 pm

The problem is drawing the line. If you take a look at VelvetG's images there, those are clearly on the photography side IMO. The thing that matters is taste. A single one now and then thats more heavily edited wouldnt matter one bit for me. And also, its not like theres a huge influx of images right now as it is, and i doubht two concurrent threads would live on.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:56 pm

Aphasia wrote:
The problem is drawing the line. If you take a look at VelvetG's images there, those are clearly on the photography side IMO. The thing that matters is taste.

VelvetG's images are on the photography side. They are greatly enhanced, but still true to the original photo. If you look at 90's edit, on the other hand, you'll notice that the second photo is completely different from the first. The feel is different, the colors are different, the hues are different... the list goes on. 90's edit is not photography. It is digital art. There's a grey area, but dude... this isn't even close.

And also, its not like theres a huge influx of images right now as it is, and i doubht two concurrent threads would live on.

I think a thread about digital art would be a great idea. It can live alongside a photography thread just fine, being as photography and digital art are completely separate topics.Yes, there's a grey area, but that happens even with regular forums. We move threads around if they're in the wrong forum, so whatever small grey area there is between photography and digital art can be handled in a similar manner.

There's lots of artistic merit in 90's digital artwork. I especially like the render that he has removed since earlier today and would like to see more stuff like it. His photograph is beautiful, considering the difficulty of capturing such a majestic scene. His edit is nice, too, but I'm aghast that you can look at his edited photograph side by side with the original and consider them both photography.

90º to Reality
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:00 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
Sweet! im glad u enjoy it!

FireGryphon wrote:
EDIT: I like 90's render and his photo alteration very much, and think he should start a new thread that is dedicated to digital art.

I really like this idea. I'll throw something up a bit later, maybe it can even get a sticky! :D

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:01 pm

I didnt say i considered em both photography, even though they are based in that. What i said was that it doesnt bother me one bit having a heavily edited image in the photography thread as long as it doesnt swamp the thread. And i wouldnt consider the "render" as you call it especially different from a darkroom crossprocessing and solarization or similar.

Oh 90, i like the editied version, it gives a good surreal look to the whole thing.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:05 pm

Aphasia wrote:
I didnt say i considered em both photography, even though they are based in that. What i said was that it doesnt bother me one bit having a heavily edited image in the photography thread as long as it doesnt swamp the thread. And i wouldnt consider the "render" as you call it especially different from a darkroom crossprocessing and solarization or similar.

Then it's merely a communication issue. :) I'd just rather see digital art in another thread.

As for the "render", 90 actually posted a 3D render of a scene. It was very nice indeed, but it was a complete fabrication -- so much so that even you might question its place in the thread ;) He has since taken it down and replaced it with the original photo of the lake. I can't wait for him to post it in another thread so I can see it again. :D

EDIT: By all means, let's let some other people chime in on this. You all know where Aphasia and I stand :wink:

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:13 pm

DOH :oops:

Ahh, never did saw a 3D render, thought you meant the heavily edited version of the lake-photo. I havent had time to cover the fora at all today. Well, perhaps we dont think that different after all. :D

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:28 pm

90º to Reality wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

FireGryphon wrote:

I really like this idea. I'll throw something up a bit later, maybe it can even get a sticky! :D

oooh I'll post volumes in it. Get it up soon! I love digital art. I think you should do this asap.

90º to Reality
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:56 pm

pete_roth wrote:
90º to Reality wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

FireGryphon wrote:

oooh I'll post volumes in it. Get it up soon! I love digital art. I think you should do this asap.

roger that!
I have some other pictures i shall post once i get them cut in size a bit. Also i edited my previous post to show only the original picture. The edited one is now in the digital art thread.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:17 pm

Since 90 has moved his digital art to another thread, let's keep "digital art" to that thread and photography to this thread. Yes, I know that the boundaries between the two are not well-defined and quite fluid. My attempt at dividing the baby goes like this:

If it's clearly photography, it goes to the photography thread.

If it's clearly digital art (all pieces of the image are computer-generated), it goes to the digital art thread.

For those mixtures of photography and post-processing, if it still looks "real" it's photography. If it looks "generated", it's digital art. I know, I wasn't much help here.

Given the nature of these threads, I'm confident that posters will take the time and put their pics in the proper threads. Given phpBB's inability to reassign posts from one existing thread to another existing thread, any comments I make as a mod will be along the lines of "please repost in the proper thread and delete from the improper thread".

I'm posting this to both threads and stickying the digital art thread.

Any questions/comments/gripes/solutions for world peace, please PM me.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JavaDog
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:19 am

Back to Photos! :lol:

Some at took at the abandoned Bethlehem Steel Plant in Buffalo, NY.

90º to Reality
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:13 pm

Twas a cold brisk night out, perfect for taking some pictures.

A shot from on campus.
click for full size

and 20 miles away.
click for full size

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:23 pm

The other day I took a rather nice picture of some of my mom's flowers.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:27 pm

Took this in the line to Poseidon's Fury here at Islands of Adventure. Just FYI, it was close to pitch-black in there. After about 10 minutes of my eyes adjustment I noticed there was something on the wall, so I used the camera to see what it was. Using the exposure time setting, I set it to 2.5 seconds, and shot it. It was great. (that's one of the first pictures that has actually turned out good, and that's because I almost knew what I was doing as opposed to using the auto setting.

Just for context, here's what the 'auto' shot.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:48 pm

That's pretty darn good for a 2.5 second exposure. You did that handheld? Good man!

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:56 pm

I couldn't do that for 2.5 seconds. that's crazy.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:07 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
I couldn't do that for 2.5 seconds. that's crazy.

Mini-tripod set on the railing. And looking at the EXIF info, it was actually 4 seconds.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:10 pm

mini tripod, that makes sense :P

4 seconds probably counts the dark frame for noise reduction.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:24 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
That's pretty darn good for a 2.5 second exposure. You did that handheld? Good man!

i dont get it... both pictures look black. what did u take a pic of???
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:49 pm

thegleek wrote:
both pictures look black.

Same here?

I'm digging the first steel mill pic. Nice. :)

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:47 pm

Second is supposed to look black. If the first one also does, you REALLY need to setup your screen properly. I run on a calibrated screen and it looks real nice. But abstract. Reddish.

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:17 pm

They're probably on CRT's.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:47 pm

I'm on a CRT (check sig) and I see the first pic just fine. More yellowish than reddish, but I haven't calibrated this screen. Still looks nice though.