Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:50 pm

Hot Chrysanthemum Tea.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:00 pm

thegleek wrote:
ah neat, not too expensive either.... what is the worlds most sought
after coffee? either for its rarity, or how expensive it is...
Kopi Luwak is the most expensive. The rather "unique" method of processing and collection ensures that its production is extremely limited to a few hundred pounds a year iirc. Jamaican Blue Mountain is usually relatively pricy, although again that's based largely on limited supply and branding. Hawaiian Kona's usually a bit pricy, stuff from places like Australia is rare so it's expensive. Moka is traditionally highly sought after. Sumatran has been in high demand lately. Kenyans can go for high prices, and certain plantations traditionally make really good coffee and command a higher price for it (i.e. La minita estate in costa rica.) Overall all of the major coffee producing regions have enough variety in flavor profiles that it's tough to really declare one "winner". There's good and bad coffee from lots of places, and crop quality from a given plantation can vary a lot from year to year as well. Short of winners of competitions like the Cup of Excellence competitions in many south/central american nations, there,s little to assure something will be great. Unless you're looking at a very specific plantation Like La Minita or a Cup of Excellence coffee, you really can't trust a coffe's origin to tell the whole tale - there can be great sounding crappy coffees. If you want absolute assurance of good coffee you basically buy from someone who you trust to separate the good from the bad.
thegleek wrote:
anyways... that site had a very interesting way of rating coffee with their
flavor quality analysis web, which looks like:

but mattsteg, which is better in your opinion, the city or the full city type?
That varies with the bean somewhat. In general, I prefer a city roast or something between city and full city, especially with central american or african coffees. That way there's more of the brightness and interesting tastes that make the best coffees from these origins so great. Some beans taste a little underdeveloped at that roast and do a bit better at a full city or somewhere in between. With "body" coffees like good sumatrans and javas, I'll generally roast a bit darker than full city. It all depends on what flavors you're looking to accentuate and what the strengths of a given bean are. I think my favorite roast of the rwandan was around halfway between city and full city.

And in the spirit of the thread I'm sipping some MacAllan Cask Strength.

Justice
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:26 pm

Sobe: Black & Blue Berry Brew. MMmmmmm
|FN|Steel wrote:
Millions of sheep doesn't make [Censored] right.

Klyith
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:23 pm

thegleek wrote:
should i consider quitting mt dew?
Yes.

Of all the negatives, the infertility is fake. As for BVO, I think that site FroBuzz linked is overstating things... Just because injection kills mice doesn't mean anything; tons of harmless things will kill you if you inject them. Your blood isn't meant to have veggie oil floating around in it. More reputable links say BVO is fairly safe as long as you don't get too much of it. But it isn't good for you, see here and here.

thegleek wrote:
how is that possible?
I know several geeks who drank way too much soda and kicked the habit. Caffeine is a physical addiction, so you will feel crummy for a while. But it's much easier than cigs.

Gleek, it's new year's pretty soon, maybe time for a resolution? I gave up all soda and potato chips a few years ago. I wasn't a major soda addict, only drank one a day at most. But if you start now you could kinda taper off over the next two weeks...

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:31 pm

Klyith wrote:
thegleek wrote:
how is that possible?
I know several geeks who drank way too much soda and kicked the habit. Caffeine is a physical addiction, so you will feel crummy for a while. But it's much easier than cigs.
For that matter, plenty of things contain caffeine if the goal is just to quit Dew.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:43 pm

I quit all soda for about a year, but am getting back into the habit mainly because of availability. I should probably get back to my Gatorade and/or water diet. I was losing weight nicely that way even before I started watching my food intakes. :(
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:02 am

Earl Grey, hot, with milk.
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:04 am

mattsteg wrote:
Kopi Luwak is the most expensive. The rather "unique" method of processing and collection ensures that its production is extremely limited to a few hundred pounds a year iirc.

I just had to click the link to see what this unique processing method is. Whoa! Partially digested coffee poop (more or less)! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

es265
Gerbil In Training

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:49 am

sake.

chilled.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:36 am

es265 wrote:
sake.

chilled.

Barbarian. Sake is supposed to be between room temp and body temp, towards the high end.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
Kopi Luwak is the most expensive. The rather "unique" method of processing and collection ensures that its production is extremely limited to a few hundred pounds a year iirc.

I just had to click the link to see what this unique processing method is. Whoa! Partially digested coffee poop (more or less)! :lol:

Yeah, one of my profs proselytizes about this: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~shivers/luwak.html. He says you can get it from J. Martinez (you have to ask for it) for $300/lbs, although it's probably gone up since he wrote that.

"Are you telling me that..." and the teller always nods and says, "Yes, that's exactly right. Roasted **** for $300/pound."

BigMadDrongo
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:37 pm

OJ right now.

drsauced wrote:
Ardbeg 10.

Good stuff that.

thegleek wrote:
so seriously, before i drop $20 on a 6 pack of this stuff,
is stella artois worth the money?

No.

Buy a can of it and see whether you like that. Stella's not bad as mass-produced lager goes, but it's definitely nothing special.

AliceCooper
Gerbil First Class

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:39 pm

A pint ofd Brahma brazilian beer. Quite nice actually, not gassy and very smooth.

Was on Xmas do from work yesterday and overdosed on Stella and Guinness. Feel fine now especially after Man United's 2-0 win at Villa.

Cus Man United will never die.
Warrior on the edge of time

C2quad Q6600, Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo, 2x2gb PC6400 ram, ATI HD 5850, LG 24" LCD 1920x1080, XFI XtremeGamer, 250gb SATA Seagate H/D & 1TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, NEC D/L Burner & SATA HD Burner.

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:27 pm

A nice COLD bottle of Okocim
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:58 pm

Hot buttered rums once again...damn im a shameless bitch :lol: Tis the season.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

monts
Gerbil Jedi
Location: Western Australia (Gods Own Country for those uncertain)

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:05 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
Hot buttered rums once again...damn im a shameless bitch :lol: Tis the season.

Yes you are,

But here I am having my morning coffee waiting for the Test Match to start on TV
iMac 27” | MacBook Air.
Cricket and AFL (Fremantle Dockers) tragic.

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:15 pm

Rum with a cola chaser.
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:28 pm

A homebrewed Robust Porter.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:38 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Tsk tsk...not good for the bp and cholesterol fella :wink: Of course it sucks to get old...you just have to adjust accordingly :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:42 pm

Diet Vanilla Pepsi
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:04 pm

Obviously...NOT ENUF...thank you...Leslie thanks you..and the nite is still young :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:14 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Tsk tsk...not good for the bp and cholesterol fella :wink: Of course it sucks to get old...you just have to adjust accordingly :lol:

Hey... I am adjusting! :D

I've started eating a small bowl of plain oatmeal for breakfast, stopped eating anything deep-fried, have been eating more veggies, and have cut back (but not eliminated) beer, sugar, and other "empty" carbs like white rice and pasta.

In just a little over a week, I've already lost 5 pounds. And that's without an increase in physical activity level. Just imagine if I actually start to get some exercise! :o

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:18 pm

The wife's having a nice glogg tonight. Highly recommend trying it if you haven't.
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:

In just a little over a week, I've already lost 5 pounds. And that's without an increase in physical activity level. Just imagine if I actually start to get some exercise! :o

Hey...thats great fella. You dont need to really elevate your activity level as much as cutting out the carbs and sugar..trust me. Ive lost 45lbs in the last year..and its still staying off. BP down..cholesterol down..now watch..im gonna have the big one when i finally get a hard body :lol: Ahhh...but damn..what a way to go :wink:

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:58 am

idchafee wrote:
Diet Vanilla Pepsi

Okay, and you call Dr. Pepper swill? Yet you drink the cola equivalent of throwing your legs over your head and pissing in your own mouth.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:11 am

Now I'm having some proto-Irish Red and proto-Bock. Allow me to explain...

~3 weeks ago I brewed a double batch -- an Irish Red, and a Bock. But things have gotten kinda busy around here, so they've been neglected, just sitting in their fermenters in the corner of my home office. I may not have time to bottle them until after the holidays, and they've been sitting on the spent yeast and other sludge a bit too long as it is. So tonight I transfered both batches to clean fermenters, to get them off of the spooge before they develop any off flavors from decomposing yeast, etc.

Well, you have to drink the hydrometer test samples... it's a homebrewing rule! It also turns out both batches were slightly larger than intended... I went to transfer them into 3 gallon carboys, and they didn't quite fit. Can't waste that extra beer, can we? :lol:

Both are somewhat warm (given that the area they were fermenting in is ~65F), and flat. But it's amazing how great beer tastes when it's straight from the fermenter... even if it isn't cold or carbonated. I suppose the Bock being 7.6% ABV doesn't hurt! :wink:

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:42 am

bitvector wrote:
idchafee wrote:
Diet Vanilla Pepsi

Okay, and you call Dr. Pepper swill? Yet you drink the cola equivalent of throwing your legs over your head and pissing in your own mouth.

QFT!! :o

I just drank the rest of the milk from a giant bowl of Apple Jacks :)

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:57 am

just brew it! wrote:
Now I'm having some proto-Irish Red and proto-Bock. I suppose the Bock being 7.6% ABV doesn't hurt! :wink:

That just made me BP go up 20 points :o

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:36 am

mattsteg wrote:
And in the spirit of the thread I'm sipping some MacAllan Cask Strength.

$66.51 a fifth... thats not a cheap single malt scotch is it?

although there are hundreds more single malt scotches that are well beyond that price.
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:40 am

Klyith wrote:
Gleek, it's new year's pretty soon, maybe time for a resolution? I gave up all soda and potato chips a few years ago. I wasn't a major soda addict, only drank one a day at most. But if you start now you could kinda taper off over the next two weeks...

yeah every year though, i try to give up drinking soda pop, and it always
fails... but i can at least cut out all mt dew drinkage.. and stick with coke,
dr pepper, and other non-citrus pops...

an interesting snippet on the wiki of BVO goes like this:

Brominated vegetable oil (BVO) is vegetable oil that has been mixed
with the element bromine. Brominated vegetable oil is used as an
emulsifier in citrus-flavored soft drinks such as Mountain Dew to help
natural and artificial citrus flavors stay suspended in the drink.
The bromine is mixed with the vegetable oil so that it will have a density
identical to the water in the drink.
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-