Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Bruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:26 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to vent my spleen and see if others have had similar experiences.

I recently bid on a lens for my SLR camera. I spotted the auction about 6 days from completion - reasonable start price, no reserve, and the exact model of lens that I wanted. All was going quietly then somone bid. Just once. Opening bid, ~5 days from auction completion. Then the next day two others did the same, one bid each. All the while pushing the price up on a no-reserve auction.

Now for the frustrating bit: at auction close, these three initial bidders have not returned! Not once, unless they looked only. Why oh why do these people bid on something, bump the price up for us serious prospective buyers, and then never bid at the death? I've had this a couple of times and been annoyed that a prospective bargain has become just an OK deal. Is it just me? Is price-fixing on eBay widespread? Or have I just met some morons on my travels?

Bruce

Nikto
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:38 pm

I have heard of people bringing others in to bump the prices up on their stuff, thus forcing the serious bidder into a higher payment. I wonder if you waited until the last day of the auction, whether those lone bidders might have popped up at all.

lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:10 pm

The reason why is hw the Dutch auction is handled. I've done that a few times: say for instance, you decide the maximum you are willing to bid on item X is $500, and the min bid is $10. You set the max bid at $500, and the first bid lists at $10. I come along, see it and say only $10? "Hell yah!" 0 But to me, its only worth $300. So I set my maxbid at $300. Wait a few seconds, and you're still winning at, but now at $310. I say "Screw It!" and move on. I have both done this and had it happen to me. Its the nature of the auction.

Bruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:52 pm

Yeah, I understand that, but these people only bid the minimum.

Prelude
Gerbil

Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:12 pm

Just out of curiosity, what kinda camera are you using?

Peace,
Will

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:21 pm

Are there any free auction sites that are respectable. Im having hell trying to sell my car audio stuff.

Bruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:24 am

It's a Nikon F80 (called an N80 in the USA).

Bruce