Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

satchmobob
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Destroying ya Case, How?

Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:37 pm

Hey Modders, i got a nice 120 mm fan to put in me case a while back. The prob is i want to install it in the side of me case so obviously there is no pre-cut hole for me. Now, how do i go about cutting a 120 mm perfectly round hole in the side of me case NEATLY! None of this 'use a dremmel' kinda thing coz a. i aint got one. And B. i cant imagine its the best tool for the job. Ideas please 8)
If we cannot be free, at least we can be cheap! FZ.

Steel
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:51 pm

Do they make hole saws that big?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Destroying ya Case, How?

Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:56 pm

satchmobob wrote:
Hey Modders, i got a nice 120 mm fan to put in me case a while back. The prob is i want to install it in the side of me case so obviously there is no pre-cut hole for me. Now, how do i go about cutting a 120 mm perfectly round hole in the side of me case NEATLY! None of this 'use a dremmel' kinda thing coz a. i aint got one. And B. i cant imagine its the best tool for the job. Ideas please 8)

Isn't a CD 120mm? If it is, just trace a circle and use a knife? hell i dunno. It's hard to cut through aluminum or steel neatly and finely like that without appropriate tools.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

satchmobob
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:20 pm

Hummm, thanks for ya input Funkster! Markin 120 mm is no prob its just cuttin the **** i'm worried about! 8)

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:45 pm

People suggest Dremel because the bits are dirt cheap. If you want more expensive options, a sabersaw with a metal cutting blade would work, but the blade will be much more expensive than a Dremel bit. The postive side is you can use a circle cutting jig. 120mm is still kinda small to be cutting a circle with a saber. You'll need a short (lengthwise, not height) jigsaw-like blade. Could cost some bucks.

edit: Removed router suggestion. I don't think a router would work at all unless you had access to one specifically designed to do metal work. They generally spin way too fast, even if you can buy the right kind of blade for it.

nrobison
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:55 pm

A diamond hole saw can be purchased for around $100 including s&h HERE. The size is actually 102mm, but the difference in air flow is not terribly significant, and the smaller hole (4") may allow easier fitting of silly grilles.

A 120 mm hole saw is probably manufactured somewhere; happy googling.

satchmobob
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:35 pm

Hummm??? Now i have a router.... but didnt think u could use em on steel. Think i'll google for metal work router bits. Dont think i'll find em though :wink:

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:38 pm

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:51 pm

My 046 STHIL WILL work...he he...edges mite be a little ruff,but..hey...thats what chisel bit chains r for>> :lol:

sn_85
Gerbil

Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:32 pm

i think the Miracle Blade III outta do it :D .

if you know someone or have a drill press then get a whole saw with it. i guess u could get someone at a machine shop to laser cut it but that might be expensive. i think the whole saw kit is around 30 bucks for 114mm, i think. and if you dont like the scruff'd edges maybe you could get some edge molding so you dont see them.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:57 pm

A hole saw will cost from $5 to $30, depending on where and when you buy it. I bought mine at Home Depot, but if you can catch a sale at Harbor Freight, they have some amazing deals.

If you take your time with the hole saw, it will cut a perfectly-circular and pretty clean hole. I used a Dremel sanding disk to smooth the edges even further.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:32 pm

I just used a steel cutting blade on my jig saw.... though I scratched the paint, so when I did my brothers I clamped it so the paint was on the other side of the saw, and it's very clean alone, and it is even cleaner if you want to "sigh" take a dremel and round out any misfortunate accedents you are bound to have on a first time cutting though metal with a jig.

just make sure you have it very stead, and don't stop once you start, go all the way around, as for getting into the metal, just take a regular big drill bit and cut a hole into what you did.

I did the same thing to mine (the 120 side fan) and it works amazing, cools RAM well too, so I can have my voltage higher :)

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:38 pm

Hole Saw. Neat, easy, and fast.