Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Guilty pleasures (music)

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:23 pm

So what are some musicians/bands you like to listen to, that other people just love to hate (or make fun of)?

Here are two of mine:

- The Knack

Sure, "My Sharona" has to be one of the top 3 overplayed singles of all time; the tongue-in-cheek Beatles references got old pretty quick; and their second album did kinda suck. But they're great songwriters and musicians, who really know how to write and play an infectious 3-minute pop song. They've also got a warped sense of humor, which doesn't hurt. :wink:

Plus, they actually put out some really great stuff after they weren't popular any more. Their 3rd album Round Trip (which is out of print) is stylistically more diverse, and IMO even contains some moments of musical brilliance. After Round Trip they broke up, but got back together a few years later and have been putting out some decent pop albums ever since.

- Pat Benatar

Another example of someone's best music coming after they had started to fade from the public eye. Her 5th album Tropico is one of my all-time favorite albums, and her more recent Innamorata album is very good as well. She's got an incredible voice, and her husband is an excellent guitarist (even some hints of SRV on the more bluesy numbers).

Forget "Heartbreaker" and "Treat Me Right"... she really started to shine when she stopped worrying so much about making that next hit single!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: Guilty pleasures (music)

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:
- Pat Benatar

Very underrated.

For me, its the Bangles and the Go-go's.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Rookie
Gerbil XP

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:52 pm

oldschool - the Doors

Many have told me that they are overrated or that they are not truly talented. I have to disagree and I must say that they created some truly unique music.

newschool - Evanescence

Women are not generally found in the rock/hard rock genre, but Amy Lee belongs there. I think she is an incredible singer and as a rock/hard rock/metal fan, I never thought I would say that I wish there were more female singers in this area, but I do.
Look on the bright side...when you hit rock bottom - there's no where to go but up

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:03 pm

Rookie wrote:
Women are not generally found in the rock/hard rock genre, but Amy Lee belongs there. I think she is an incredible singer and as a rock/hard rock/metal fan, I never thought I would say that I wish there were more female singers in this area, but I do.

Not as "new school" as Evanescence, but check out the first (self-titled) album by the band Baby Animals; it kicks some serious butt. Avoid their other (2nd) album... mediocre power pop.

Rookie
Gerbil XP

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Not as "new school" as Evanescence, but check out the first (self-titled) album by the band Baby Animals; it kicks some serious butt. Avoid their other (2nd) album... mediocre power pop.

Alright :D

I'm always up for new music experiences. I have never heard of the Baby Animals, but I want to check them out now. Thanks.
Look on the bright side...when you hit rock bottom - there's no where to go but up

totoro
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:33 pm

Le tigre.
(Ive been told it's for teenage Emo girls, but whatever.)

And Everclear.

:oops:

house
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:40 pm

totoro wrote:
Le tigre.
(Ive been told it's for teenage Emo girls, but whatever.)

And Everclear.

Wow, another Le tigre fan :D . It's more like for angy feminist lesbians but they still rock.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:58 pm

Spoon, Collective Soul, Maroon 5, and (I guess not so bad) DMB have all been used in the car to pass time (with plenty of vocals by me). I had the radio on at as I pass someone once, I looked the next car over and the person was singing the same song out loud as I was. funny stuff.

edit: "do you know how I know you're gay? you listen to cold play."
coldplay too

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:02 am

I don't give a damn what anybody says, I love Sarah McLachlan and Tori Amos. This really throws people off because a majority of the music that I listen to is really heavy and aggressive. What people don't realize is that I love music that is very well written and has passion behind it. Which is a major reason why I love metal, but both Sarah and Tori have very well written and passionate music, but in a different style. I wouldn't call myself a music snob, because I don't think anybody's opinion is better than someone elses. I will however, call myself a music connoisseur.

I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure, but I know that a lot of people hate Linkin Park. I'm not a fanboy or anything, but I know talent when I see it. I know a lot of people don't like them now because they got really popular really fast. In fact I can't stand people that don't like something simply because they're no longer the only person that knows that they exist.

Rookie wrote:
Here are a few suggestions for you if you don't think woman aren't prominent in the heavy music scene: Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, The Gathering, The Birthday Massacre, Leaves' Eyes, Arch Enemy, Otep, Kittie, Tristania, I could go on and on. All are fronted by female vocalists. A lot of them have beautiful singing voices, such as Christina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil and Anneke van Giersbergen from the Gathering. Whereas Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy has a voice that you could have sworn came from a very pissed off man.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:06 am

Everclear is defintely one of the underrated bands of our time.

Check out Toy Matinee from the early 90's. One album and if you look on Amazon, it is one of the best.

Kevin Gilbert, who was lead singer and instrumentalist in Toy Matinee was awesome as well, until he died anyway.

Jude Cole is underrated, as well.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:08 am

everclear is pretty girly :p
still a good band though. no shame unless you take it too far :wink:

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:43 am

Fleetwood Mac.

I don't know why, but everybody says I'm a wuss for listening, but man, that band is awesome, between Stevie's voice & Lindsey's guitar they rock. I could listen to Big Love & Landslide all day.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:19 am

Fleetwood Mac rules.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Nimrod_Long
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:45 am

Ok, music that I get picked on about huh? In general I am a big fan of Metal (In all it's varied facets). But I do have a few oddball favorites.

Tom Jones - He is the man. He's like 90 and still gets more love than I ever will. My favorite is the cover of "Burning Down the House" he did with the Cardigans.

Johnny Cash - He was country, but he was hardcore. That NIN cover was awesome.

Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks - Ya I like em too.

Assorted 80's Hair Bands - I have seen Skid Row, Winger, Slaughter, Poison all live in concert. And I liked it.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

I play WoW on the Sargeras server. - Bullone 70 Shaman - Niimrod 70 Hunter - Bullwar 70 Warrior

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:07 am

I like Beth Orton and some Lucinda Williams stuff. Of course I catch hell for listening to trance. The benefits of living in a rural, backwoods area where trance is something only associated with eating the magic mushrooms!

I'll back you up on the Sarah McLachlan and Tori Amos. Though I never really caught any flack for listening to them, I really enjoy their music. I've got a BT remix of "I Love You" from the Surfacing album that I like to play out in my sets. Good stuff. 8)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:28 am

The thread has turned from "guilty pleasure" into "underrated bands"...:lol:

idchafee wrote:

Oddly enough both of these bands came up last night...a couple of people were trying to figure out if one of these two bands did that lame "you've got the beat" song

Trying to decide what music I own that I wouldn't want anyone to know about...

Depeche Mode
Tori Amos (I have no idea what she's talking about sometimes)
REO Speedwagon
Guns 'n Roses

My wife's guilty pleasures are much easier to expose because, well, I think they're hilarious (and they're certainly not mine)...Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, a ton of emo rock.

I also can't understand why certain list members like The Doors and Johnny Cash are here.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Nimrod_Long
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:35 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I also can't understand why certain list members like The Doors and Johnny Cash are here.

I have no idea about The Doors, but it has only recently become "cool" again to like Johnny Cash. But I have been a fan for over 15 years. And I got alot of strange looks and comments for it. I tried to get a band I was in to do "Ring of Fire" and I didn't hear the end of that for months.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

I play WoW on the Sargeras server. - Bullone 70 Shaman - Niimrod 70 Hunter - Bullwar 70 Warrior

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:33 am

Pagey wrote:
I'll back you up on the Sarah McLachlan and Tori Amos.

Me too. McLachlan's voice gives me chills, and Amos is incredibly creative (and more than a little bit warped). My wife likes them too, but can't understand why I rate Boys For Pele as my favorite Tori Amos album...

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:48 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
The thread has turned from "guilty pleasure" into "underrated bands"...:lol:

idchafee wrote:

Oddly enough both of these bands came up last night...a couple of people were trying to figure out if one of these two bands did that lame "you've got the beat" song

IIRC that was the go-gos.

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:49 am

I have a penchant for "gay european club music".

So I listen to Depeche Mode, New Order, Culture Club, Madonna, etc.

But I listen to almost everything, so my playlist is nice and cross genre.

On the underrated tip, I wanted to agree with the above props to Pat Benatar and Tori Amos.

Actually I think I have a general tendency to appreciate a strong vocal, so that guides my listening quite a bit.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:51 am

emkubed wrote:
Actually I think I have a general tendency to appreciate a strong vocal, so that guides my listening quite a bit.

So you're a Mr. Big fan then? Power Ballad FTW!! :lol:

Magnus
Gerbil XP

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:01 am

emkubed wrote:
So I listen to Depeche Mode, New Order, Culture Club, Madonna, etc.

Ive also been known to get a guilty enjoyment from those. And also tag on Erasure and Pet Shop Boys.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:04 am

Okay. 80s all the way, baby! I need to find those CDRs with my small 80s collection.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:10 am

idchafee wrote:
So you're a Mr. Big fan then? Power Ballad FTW!! :lol:

:D

Bit o' Mr. Big trivia for ya: Their former bass player's current band -- Niacin -- is one of the best jazz/rock fusion outfits currently in existence. Saw 'em live a couple of years back at a little club on the north side of Chicago, and was completely blown away. One of the best live shows I've seen. Ever. Hammond B3 organ FTW! :lol:

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:14 am

Ooh, obscure 6-degrees of separation 80's bands trivia extravaganza FTW!

Edit: The Hammond B3 is the shez-nit.

Action Jim
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:29 pm

idchafee wrote:

Susanna Hoffs is still incredibly hot, even now in her mid 40's. Maybe even moreso now that the '80s are over and no sane person has that hair anymore.

EDIT: On topic, 80's music rules. I still have a weird facination with glam metal - Poison, Winger, Skid Row, Slaughter, old Bon Jovi, and so on.

DOUBLE EDIT: As a matter of fact, Queensryche's "Revolution Calling" is playing on my ipod right now. :oops:
Last edited by Action Jim on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good bye everyone.

Norphy
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:38 pm

There are several things that I enjoy listening to that attract weird looks from other people

Billy Joel (An Innocent Man album is fantastic, always cheers me up :))
The Corrs
Pet Shop Boys
William Shatner (Has Been album anyway)
Barenaked Ladies
Spandau Ballet

People make fun of me for liking them, the Pet Shop Boys stuff especially but screw em, I like it :)

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:47 pm

emkubed wrote:
Ooh, obscure 6-degrees of separation 80's bands trivia extravaganza FTW!

Ooh, ooh...

Billy Sheehan (the former Mr. Big member who went on to form Niacin) released an obscure CD a few years ago with drummer Terry Bozzio. Bozzio was also the drummer on The Knack's "Zoom" album. So there, I've tied Mr. Big back to the post that started this thread! :lol:

For additional '80s tie-in, Bozzio's wife Dale was the singer for Missing Persons (remember them?)

newtrip
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:53 pm

Ok, I'm gonna jump in here with Jack Johnson (I love the Brushfire Fairytales album and can't stop listening to it!) and I really like Chris Isaak too. Yeah, a lot of people call this stuff chick music, but I'm not a chick and I like it.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:55 pm

Jerry Jeff Walker
Johnny Cash
Fleetwood Mac
THe occasional Billy Joel.
Those're mine.