Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

The Mad Duke
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 31, 2001 11:36 am

So here I am with lots of time and nothing to do but post silly messages. My employer requires me to be here since this is a triple witching day (end of month, end of quarter, end of year) but there is remarkably little for a technical consultant to do today. The sales critters are of course dashing madly about trying to get as much stuff as possible out the door today, and I'm sure the warehouse will burn the midnight oil, but nobody seems to need any technical help. Adding to this, it is a very cold gray day here in Hotlanta, I'd much rather be at home playing with my toys. Oh well, I guess I'll go prowl a few computer stores at lunch time. Thanks for listening!
-The Mad Duke

lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:18 pm

I feel & know your pain.
I *might* get outta here by 3PM CST, 5PM is moire likely, 8PM is a possibility (and willmake me serious p1ssed, I might add). Depends upon how much my Road Runner install techs & trouble call techs f-up out in the field today; they're *scheduled* to be done by 5PM, but I doubt it...

Hopefully, you will be done by 5PM, right?

The Mad Duke
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:30 pm

Yeeesh, you know it's bad when you take 2 hours for lunch and the only message waiting for you when you get back is your wife wanting to discuss what to have for dinner! At this rate, I doubt I'll be here much past 4:30. I kinda envy you, since you may actually have something useful to do today. Network troubleshooting can be *tons* of fun.
-The Mad Duke

Veritas
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:50 pm

At least you have a job. I was laid off the Friday before Christmas. I will trade places with you if you like :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Veritas on 2001-12-31 13:51 ]</font>

Tantric
Gerbil

Mon Dec 31, 2001 4:40 pm

Two years ago when I was in the Navy I had to spend all night alone in a room watching a shutdown nuclear reactor. Just what a single 25 year old plans for New Years. It was better than the year before when I was underwater for the entire holidays. Why did I get out you ask? Anyway i hope that you get out of there and can go get your drunk on tonight. Everyone have a good night and I hope that at least one person your out with ends up in a foreign country tonight, which is the true mark of a good night out.

Tantric
Gerbil

Mon Dec 31, 2001 4:40 pm

Edit: The dreaded double post.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tantric on 2001-12-31 15:41 ]</font>

lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Dec 31, 2001 5:12 pm

Mad Duke:
If it's one of the problems where I actually have to leave the office and go on-site, they are *never* fun to fix, plus then I have to be face-to-face with an actual customer, which I despise.

lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Dec 31, 2001 5:19 pm

Veritas:
the dreaded pink slip for Christams. Bastards! Well, if you want to move to the Milwaukee, WI area, I *might* have a position opening up for you in late January. MMMMM....Wisconsin in January. I'm afraid they won't pay your relocation costs, and it's highly dependent upon whether work picks up in January like it's supposed to. If I could, I would hire every1 here to do my job, but that's not up to me. If there is indeed an opening in January, and they don't fill it right away, I'll post in the forums for general perusal. I'll also post my email addy so you can send me your resume ; I'm supposed to be involved in the hiring process, so a favorable review by me of your resume might be the edge you need to land the *entirely hypothetical at this point* postion. Sorry I can't do more for you at this point; I've been there, I know how much it can suck; and we geeks need to stick together.
Have a Happy New Year, let's hope it involves a new job for you in short order!

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2002 9:01 pm

Mmmm... Wisconsin. Wonder what the wife'd think....

Veritas
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jan 03, 2002 6:05 pm

Lenzenm,
Thank you so much for the offer. It is good to know that there are good people around that still like to help there fellow humans out. That being said, Milwaukee is a little of my job searching scope at the moment. I live in central Texas so I think I should be able to dig up something close by that will not move me too far from family and friends. Thanks for the offer though. If nothing comes through then I will definitely keep you in mind.

lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 03, 2002 6:35 pm

I do what I can, in my own way. I know how rough the IT biz has gotten lately. Although, I hear that the Houston & Dallas areas aren't as bad as many others. Keep pushin', you'll find somethin. Vegas is supposed to be a real hot spot right now, ditto Phoenix. I realize they are not houston, but certainly closer than milwaukee.