Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:25 pm

Anyone know what happened to Morpheus.. On the webpage they are saying they had a DOS attack and that someone somehow was able to change registry settings peoples PC. Anyone know anything further about this?

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:28 pm

Havent heard anything about that but I wouldnt have much faith in them coming back to full-speed. Heard there gonna use the gnutella network and their latest beta version of morpheus was just junk. course that was a pre-release so who knows.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:29 pm

Last I heard, Kazaa upgraded something in there network code and didn't tell anyone. The change was large enough that the Morpheus client tanked. Don't know if it right or not, just what I heard.

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:44 pm

yeah it tanked last weekend.. and hmm I think Saturday is when I upgraded to the Preview Edition which is pretty crappy.. But I was just wondering about the DOS attack and the fact that it changed users Registery settings.. haven't seen anything about it anywhere else. http://www.musiccity.com

"Steve Griffin
StreamCast/Morpheus CEO
Continued...

It appears that the attacks included an encrypted message being repeatedly sent directly to your computers that changed registry settings in your computer. Later, it appears our ad servers were attacked resulting in messages being sent to other sites without our knowledge, which threatened our most basic revenue model. We believe some of these attacks continue as Morpheus users attempt to connect to the old Morpheus User Network. This was why it is important to quickly deploy our new software product.

This unprovoked attack is being carefully investigated, as it appears that federal laws may have been violated. We are still attempting to discover who would want to eliminate the community of millions of consumers who are using the Morpheus software product to connect with other users around the world.

These attacks have forced us to more quickly deploy our new software product in order to allow you to bring the largest p2p community back together. Since it appears that the attack on your computers came from the closed proprietary FastTrack-Kazaa software, we have opted not to continue with this p2p kernel. We believe it to have the ability to access your computer at will and change registry settings. In addition, we remain committed to NOT bundling any spy ware with our product."

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:50 pm

...We are still attempting to discover who would want to eliminate the community of millions of consumers who are using the Morpheus software product to connect with other users around the world."

Can you say RIAA and MPAA. :wink:

In all seriousness, I find it very scary that they have written the client in such a way that someone from the outside can tell it to change registry settings.

murray
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:34 am

And this happens after they've had the "REPORTS OF SECURITY HOLES IN MORPHEUS ARE FALSE SO STFU" on the intro page/tab for the month it seems.

Nikto
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:26 pm

ACK!!! I can't find anything on Morpheus anymore. WAAA!

aristheo
Gerbil First Class

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:49 pm

If you're looking for Divx movies, edonkey is the best place to download. The new Morpheus is still pretty good for mp3's. I also use Audiogalaxy once in awhile.

0oALio0

Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:01 pm

Kazaa now has a morpheus converter allowing you to use it to continue ur morpheus downloads and import your settings etc.

Syko
Gerbil

Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:32 pm

Well we can all agree that Morpheus now sucks badly, and we should probably switch to Kazaa. There's always IRC for downloading movies............or my new Geforce4 Ti 4600.