Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

VaTech Hokie
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Silverstone sff?

Sun May 07, 2006 12:03 am

What are your opinions on the silverstone SST-SG01-B? anyone have one like it hate it? what are the options on throwing a cpu cooler in these things? im considering switching over to sff. any help would be appreciated
Always Proud to be Hokie

flying hippo
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun May 07, 2006 1:49 am

I've seriously considered getting one for my next rig. Oggled a couple in the stores here, it looks good. Altough I didn't care for the fact that the rounded bevel on the front doesn't sit flush with the top of the case. Call me picky but if I'm going to spend that much money on a case, I had better like all of it.

I liked the idea of a smaller mATX case, somewhat portable and very upgradeable by virtue of being able to swap out standard mATX motherboards and full sized power supplies. It's definately the best looking one I've been able to find but also among the most expensive cases. I've read that it runds a little hot and noisy, although I can't remember who said that.

www.case-mod.com says:
SG01 compatibility notes:
- CPU cooler cannot exceed 78mm in height
- The combined depth of power supply and optical drive cannot exceed 355mm

If you can afford it, and you like the looks and upgradability, its a decent case. It's a little on the big size for an ssf though. If you want something smaller, a shuttle is probably a better idea.

080119-deactivated
Gerbil Jedi

Sun May 07, 2006 3:27 am

I dont have it, but its a really nice case IMO :roll:. But I dont have it because its mATX :lol:. Anyway, there might be a few limitations because there is not many room in it, but you can also buy a special casefan for that case (its on their website somewhere). I didnt heard any bad things about that case yet, but thats alsmo because I wasnt searching for it :wink:.
EVE-Online
Corporation: Nexus Legion
Alliance: NxT LeveL

VaTech Hokie
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2006 4:40 pm

flying hippo wrote:
I've seriously considered getting one for my next rig. Oggled a couple in the stores here, it looks good. Altough I didn't care for the fact that the rounded bevel on the front doesn't sit flush with the top of the case. Call me picky but if I'm going to spend that much money on a case, I had better like all of it.

Thats my one gripe with it. Also I dont need incredibly small shuttle sized, and i definately want to be able to swap out motherboards in the future, im going fro a tsunami dream so its considearably smaller. My room next year will be alittle smaller so every inch i can save will be worth it, also droppiing my 19 crt for 1 or 2 19in dell flat panels. :D

I think the silver stone it will be, itll only have a 7600gt not too hot, plus if there are cooling mods ill probably go for them. Although i am still open to ther options anyone else have anyother sff cases for recomendations? even tiny microatx minitoweres, im looking at a silverstone microatx midtower actually as well...any recomendation would be great as long as small :D
Always Proud to be Hokie

flying hippo
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon May 08, 2006 9:03 am

Space was a concern for me too. Apartments are small over here. I've looked and I've couldn't find a mATX case that comes close. I haven't found a better mATX with the motherboard flat. But that bevel REALLY bothered me so I decided to pass and wait for a sleeker design to come out. I considered some of the nifty mATX towers as well. I ended up getting a full sized ATX tower though. Go figure.

Is this the mid tower you were considering? I would recommend getting that over an SFF case IF it isn't too big. Better cooling, cleaner design and cheaper.

This is the second generation design for the SST-SG01B, I think they modified one of the fans if memory serves due to clearance issues with the pci card slots. I think there were still some issues with the second revision (I've been looking for that review but I still can't find it :-? )

You may have trouble fitting all of the powersupply cords in the upper part of the case. If you have the cash to splurge, I would strongly suggest getting a powersupply with modular cabling support to save space.

You won't have these issues with a mid tower.

Steeeeve
Gerbil

Wed May 17, 2006 9:06 am

VaTech Hokie wrote:
flying hippo wrote:

Thats my one gripe with it. Also I dont need incredibly small shuttle sized, and i definately want to be able to swap out motherboards in the future, im going fro a tsunami dream so its considearably smaller. My room next year will be alittle smaller so every inch i can save will be worth it, also droppiing my 19 crt for 1 or 2 19in dell flat panels. :D

I think the silver stone it will be, itll only have a 7600gt not too hot, plus if there are cooling mods ill probably go for them. Although i am still open to ther options anyone else have anyother sff cases for recomendations? even tiny microatx minitoweres, im looking at a silverstone microatx midtower actually as well...any recomendation would be great as long as small :D

Hello there fellow Hokie. I am a recent Alumni from VT and I run http://www.sffclub.com where we actually test the cases at Virginia Tech.

Anyway, the SG01 is a nice case...it does have a few cooling problems and some think it is loud. The maximum height for a CPU is 78mm I believe but http://www.sffclub.com has all this information available along with other options for SFF (such as the Qmicra or Ultra Micro Fly).

If you have any questions let me know
http://www.sffclub.com
Where small is the next big thing

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

pick up a Silverstone

Mon May 29, 2006 11:54 pm

I am looking forward to getting a Silverstone for my next build. I have dealt with an Antec Aria, and that ARIA seems flimsy by comparison. I actually like the look of the Silverstone, and it also seems sturdier. The best thing about these mATX cases is their flexibility and (somewhat) lower prices than an equivalent Shuttle or iDEQ.

kgwagner
Gerbil In Training

Re: pick up a Silverstone

Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:45 am

riviera74 wrote:
I am looking forward to getting a Silverstone for my next build. I have dealt with an Antec Aria, and that ARIA seems flimsy by comparison. I actually like the look of the Silverstone, and it also seems sturdier. The best thing about these mATX cases is their flexibility and (somewhat) lower prices than an equivalent Shuttle or iDEQ.

I've built units using the Antec Aria, and I wouldn't call them "flimsy" at all, although the <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811163055">Silverstone case</a> I recently built a HTPC in was certainly a fine piece of work, in the same class as Lian Li cases, which are my favorite for general purpose computers.

The SFF case that gets the "flimsy" award is the <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144162">Aspire X-QPack</a>. I've known several people who've built more than one, and I'll finally be building in one come Monday, and they all say the same thing: flimsy. But, that's really just until they're built. Once they're whole, they're mechanically rigid enough.

Coran Fixx
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:40 am

Well, if space is a major concern then just realize that the desktops are going to have a bigger footprint than a tower.

I've been thinking about getting this coolermaster microatx:
http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=RC-541&other_title=+RC-541+Centurion%20Micro%20ATX%20541

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:21 pm

Coran Fixx wrote:
Well, if space is a major concern then just realize that the desktops are going to have a bigger footprint than a tower.

I've been thinking about getting this coolermaster microatx:
Centurion 541

Looks like you and I need to compare notes. I have been watching the Cooler Master case, the Asus TM-21, and even the SilverStone TJ08.

Based on the pictures I like the Asus best, but they are still in the paper launch stage. :x The SS is going to be expensive and it will be the biggest, so it is not exactly my cup of tea. The 541 is currently running 2nd place on my list, so I am paying very close attention to it.

Since there Antec has thrown another hat into the ring: the NSK 3300. It looks good also, but the only concern is I need a mod to fit my Seasonic in. Since I eventually plan on putting an X2 and a real video card there, I would like my S12-430 rather than the included SFX (WTF is that form factor? :roll:). Although I am now reading that SFX is actually a rebadged Seasonic 300W, so may be it will be sufficient after all? (well it will be definitely ok for my A64 3200+, but what about an X2 3800+ or Opty 170?

Severus
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:54 am

A friend has the silverstone and its a thing of beauty.

OK, I'll own up, I'm a complete Silverstone whore :D I have a TJ-06 for my gaming rig and an LC-16M for my MCE box. But still, I'm not biased!

Anyway, the construction is very nice. It is all aluminium, so the side panels are much flimsier than steel, but the case itself is rock solid and EXTREMELY well ventilated for a SFF. IIRC he has an x2 3800+, 7800GT and Antec Neo 480 and the thing is to all intents and purposes quiet. Only major issue is cramming a double width after market cooler into an mATX board (not a case-specific problem) and the PSU overhangs the CPU which, with a 120mm fanned PSU is probably a great idea but you can't really use OMG HUGE HSFs (I'm also an Arctic Cooling Freezer whore).
"We are such stuff as dreams are made on, rounded with a little sleep"

Homerr
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:05 am

I've built 2 SG-01 Evo's and they are indeed nice cases. I'm wishing now that I'd used them sooner on some other builds I've done. The two I've built are silver and they seem smaller than they are because they fade into the background a little. The black ones seem to standaout more.

Steeeeve
Gerbil

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:09 pm

I just reviewed this case and it is amazing. Close to the quality of the Qmicra but is lower in price (by a lot)

http://www.sffclub.com/index.php?option ... iew&id=152
http://www.sffclub.com

Where small is the next big thing