Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Orville
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Shuttle SN21G5 - A real marketing gaff

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:03 am

I just can't believe that Shuttle's marketing types chose the 6100/410 chipset over the 6150/430. I makes the SN21G5 a truly cheap box, and I don't mean price. I mean performance and features. It isn't good enough to just make it little. It must have the features. The only reason I can figure is that the neat chipset must have cost $25 more than the dud set. The result of Shuttle's decision: no DVI, no TV, no Gigabit and no Azalia. I wish they had ripped out the PATA stuff and left only SATA. The connectors alone would have saved $10. I love AMD, but with this kind of thinking by their OEMs, how can AMD ever win? I guess it's time to rethink the overpriced Pentium Ms via AOpen's new overpriced miniPC. At least the features are there.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:00 am

I must admit I was really looking forward to a 6150 Shuttle. Looks like I will have to keep looking.

Shuttle is usually pretty good at putting out high end boxes (even SLI). Not sure why they did this. I guess if it replaces an older box with something less than the 6100 in it.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

Fire Child
Gerbil

Sun May 07, 2006 11:04 am

Hello - First Post

Shuttle is really good at making SFF computers that have something wrong with them. Its pretty frustrating. The SN25P was largely considered perfect except it didnt have a 32 bit PCI slot and some people thought it looked like a$$. The SN21G5 looks really good and has that elusive 32 bit PCI slot but its missing decent onboard sound, S/PDIF input and DVI. SB86i would have been really decent if it wasnt huge and didnt have ridiculous heat problems (I RMA'ed mine after my hard drive slow cooked itself to death over the PSU).

Normally you will have to find a compromise if you want one. I decided to get an SN21G5 because I have an X1600XT with DVI so its exclusion in this barebone doesnt concern me. I am also unconcerned by the AC97 audio codec and the lack of an S/PDIF input because I have an ADAT rack and a Delta 1010 with all the digital and analogue ins/outs I need for my music project.

Similarly, some people have managed to live with the SN25P using a firewire audio interface. Often fairly expensive but to be fair, soundcards never belonged in a PC case anyway, with their noisy DC power supplies and likelihood of interference caused by other nearby electrical sources.

You can bet your last buck though that if shuttle gets it right and puts all the good stuff into a G5 chasis - it will cost a fortune. The closest they came was that gorgeous pentium M shuttle. Shame it shipped in silver instead of the white review copies and shame about the massive price tag :( oh well...