Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Which do you do first?

Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:50 am

Building an ASP webpage, do you get the website to function first or design the layout first or do you do both simulateneously? I'd just like to know from experience which works best.
*yawn*

boobyne
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:53 am

I make the site.

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:04 am

boobyne wrote:
I make the site.

eh?
*yawn*

element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:50 am

I work with cgi and I always make the design first and later , the cgi code gets added.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:08 am

So I guess you must be very familiar with cgi? I'm still learning ASP, and while it's similar to other programming languages I've done, there's plenty of syntax I don't know.

Maybe I'll just stick to simple design layouts.
*yawn*

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:33 am

Design first, code later, *always*. Changing design is easy, changing code is not.

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 06, 2003 2:19 pm

I dunno if this is relevant or not, but I'll give it anyways...

When I was making my GCSE (yes, I know, lowly GCSE, but stick with the story) IT projects, I used to totally ignore what they told me to do. Instead of writing out "what this program should do blah blah blah, and how it should do it," I always liked to make a basic setup of the project, so that I could see where everything was going in my head.

Just before I left A-Level Computing (wanted different course), I did the same thing. I left a few weeks before the first coursework hand-in was supposed to be done, with only ~50% of the write-up done, but the Access database I was working on pretty much perfect.

So, in my experience, designing the thing first will always let you work through with fewer mistakes, because you can "see" what you're doing.

If I was to make something now, I'd probably do:

Design
Pseudocode (maybe, depending on complexity)
Code.

Hope that helps,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

fc34

Wed May 07, 2003 8:11 am

I was taught to code first, design later

However, I found that designing first allows me to see whether the code that i plan to write makes sense.

For an example, in my head, I write up javascript for some nice rollover buttons in my head.

If I were to design the site first however, I might find that rollover buttons dont really suit it, or maybe pop-up menus might be better. If i had coded it first, i would have just wasted all my time.
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Wed May 07, 2003 8:31 am

I think it b4, probably sketch it on paper, and then decide what gets done first :D . Sounds pretty obvious but some people get really smacked for not doing so.

BTW try to leave ASP alone. Perl, PHP, and JSP are so much better, more standard, better supported and cross-platform. No M$ hating here, just plain experience.
no sig

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 07, 2003 9:05 am

muyuubyou wrote:
I think it b4, probably sketch it on paper, and then decide what gets done first :D . Sounds pretty obvious but some people get really smacked for not doing so.

I'm speaking as a formerly smacked by the way, I used to just try and code away, but it takes so much longer that way, as you have no clear objective in your head...

Can feel the burn now,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

fc34

Wed May 07, 2003 9:19 am

I dont really plan unless its:

-A Client related project(need documentation, expected outputs, plan etc)
-Large(multiple files, graphics, subfolders)
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition