Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Public Movie databases

Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:10 pm

I'm working on a custom web application for tracking a DVD collection. What I need to know, is there a public DVD/VHS database out there that provides movie info for published movies. A la CDDB. Basically I want to query a title, download a nugget of info about it, then parse the info to locate what I need to populate my DB. Basically to avoid having to input simple info like genre, director, runtime, parental ratings, and such. An SDK would be terrific, but simple text or such would be fine.

Anyone got any info???

Anyone???
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:23 pm

1 address:

imdb.com
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:54 pm

element wrote:
1 address:

imdb.com

However, that doesn't answer the OP's question. He's looking for an automated process.

Z-Man:

I've been looking for the same for some time now. I've gotten quite accustomed to CnP from IMDB.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:14 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to find people have tools that search and parse imdb. But I don't know of any specifically.