Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Whither SN27P2?

Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:18 am

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/10435

Given that review, is anyone going to be getting one? I'm going to be soon in the market for a SFF box and it seems like this one is a decent machine. Its main drawback appears to be overclocking, and I don't OC my machines. Newegg has it at $370, which seems reasonable.

Thoughts?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:23 am

Only thought is maybe wait and see if Core2Duo SFF's come out?
Unless you want to stick w/ AMD or alrady have Socket AM2 CPU's to use.
Or maybe you don't want to wait and see. Either way that looks like a nice little box. Nice to see the beefier PSU too.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:21 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Nice to see the beefier PSU too.

That's a huge plus. I have several Shuttles and they always seem to suffer from PSU envy.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:23 pm

I'm with you idchafee (like a stocker :o j/k), but I'm waiting for the DX10 cards to come out before I go with the new AM2s. It may be that Shuttle has a revision 2 by then anyway.

Can you wait for December?
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Fire Child
Gerbil

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:41 am

There is a C2D Shuttle using exactly the same chasis called the SD37P2 and its Crossfire (no 32-bit PCI slot). It isnt out yet but theres a review of it over at Sudhian.com. Warning: It is very expensive :\

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:42 am

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
I'm with you idchafee (like a stocker :o j/k), but I'm waiting for the DX10 cards to come out before I go with the new AM2s. It may be that Shuttle has a revision 2 by then anyway.

Can you wait for December?

I can wait, yes. I don't want to, but I can.

Fire Child wrote:
There is a C2D Shuttle using exactly the same chasis called the SD37P2 and its Crossfire (no 32-bit PCI slot). It isnt out yet but theres a review of it over at Sudhian.com. Warning: It is very expensive :\

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/artic ... p2_review/

17 pages. Now I know how I'll be spending lunch today!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:19 pm

OK so I think I wanna wait for the SD37P2. From the review:

Pricing hasn’t been set yet but expect the SD37P2 to retail in the $400-450 price range which is quite a hefty chunk of change. Those willing to shell out the money for an SD37P2 will have to wait though as it won’t be available till August

I don't think $450 is at all out of line. August is the expected ship date? Hey, its August today! Where is it????

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:06 am

I have purchased one for my HTPC. However I am having some difficulty partly the reason is I am using NON approved Ram methinks.

I will post more As I iron out the bugs.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:12 am

I would think given Conroes fantastic performance and how little they consume, they'd be a perfect candidate in the future for a SFF system.

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:51 am

I've built two Shuttles...wondering when (if) I'll build a third.

They're not the company they used to be, and I'm glad for their success, but I've gotten the general feeling that their Barebones side of things (especially the support) has suffered as they've ramped up their system sales.

That aside, personally, the thought of a bare bones Core2Duo shuttle makes me giddy, the thought of the SD37P2 doesn't appeal to me though.

First of all, I'd rather get a 965 chipset designed for C2D rather than a rehashed 975X.

Second, I have issues with the P2 chasis in the fact that it omits one of the things that made the P chasis so great. Toolless (well, almost completely) installation work. At least as far as all the drives are concerned, they were tooless, which was great considering that you had to move the drives around in order to get at anything else.

After getting that on the P1, the bolt on trays look kind of tacky and 80s to me. :S

Not having the integrated card reader is also a bumber for me. I use tha ton my SN25P more than I would've guess. It's super convenient...and it didnt take up the 3.5" slot, which I used for my primary HDD.

Most importantly though is the two small HDD zone fans (40mm I believe). The TR's general stance proved right in that case. One of them started to go about 9 months in, and is currently making an annoying rattling noise. I'm shopping for a replacement as we speak.
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted