Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

mattsteg
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Slipstreaming Windows - Integrating new SPs onto old CDs

Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:47 am

I've been meaning to sticky a topic on this for a while, but every time I went to do it all the guides I could locate kinda sucked or were quite outdated. Since I didn't feel like writing my own the sticky never materialized. Insightfill linked this guide in another thread, and it looks pretty good:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/wi ... stream.asp

One side note: instead of messing with making a CD bootable (the most error-prone step) you can rip your windows CD into an ISO, edit the files, then copy them into the ISO in-place using a program such as winiso or another iso-editor.

astrotech66
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:04 am

I use something called Autostreamer to slipstream service packs into a Windows CD. It's very easy to use and I haven't run into any problems with it.

Autostreamer Forum

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:27 pm

Now that SP2 has been out forever and a day, it might be worthwhile to learn how to slipstream hotfixes as well. Has anyone here done this before?

mattsteg
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:30 pm

consider nlite for a convenient interface to automate a lot of this sor t of thing.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Slipstreaming Windows - Integrating new SPs onto old CDs

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:59 am

mattsteg wrote:
I've been meaning to sticky a topic on this for a while, but every time I went to do it all the guides I could locate kinda sucked or were quite outdated. Since I didn't feel like writing my own the sticky never materialized. Insightfill linked this guide in another thread, and it looks pretty good:

One side note: instead of messing with making a CD bootable (the most error-prone step) you can rip your windows CD into an ISO, edit the files, then copy them into the ISO in-place using a program such as winiso or another iso-editor.

Thanks a lot bro.. one more thing i wanted to learn is there a way to pre install DX 9.c some how in the SP2 cd. please help :)

mattsteg
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Re: Slipstreaming Windows - Integrating new SPs onto old CDs

Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:05 am

Jigar2speed5095 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:

Thanks a lot bro.. one more thing i wanted to learn is there a way to pre install DX 9.c some how in the SP2 cd. please help :)
DirectX 9.0c is part of SP2.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... mesp2.mspx

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:25 am

another vote for nlite.

i use 2000, and installing with the original sp4 cd is a pain, considering i have all sata drives, and 2000 doesnt work by default with sata.
(not to mention how many updates the old cd needs.)

updated with the unofficial sp5 and used nlite to add the sata driver.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:38 am

I know i am being a bit selfish over here to learn more :P ... is there a way to pre install any application in XP sp2 cd.. :D

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:50 pm

Anyone thought about using nLite to slipstream it in easy?

red0510
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:30 pm

Here is a site that downloads all the post SP2 hotfixes for you and then slipstreams them into your copy of SP2. I've used this method before and it works great.

http://smithii.com/slipstream_xpsp2

pfntn
Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:22 pm

Try nLite! It works really well. Slipstreaming is soooooo much easier, Windows components can be removed, drivers can be slipstreamed, etc. I didn't see where apps can be added, but that's about all it can't do. I mucked around for about 20 minutes and was able to create a WinXP SP2 CD with SATA and video drivers for a new HP laptop and it worked first time.
Last edited by pfntn on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fearless Leader
Gerbil

another vote for nLite

Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:28 pm

I too vote for nLite, as it will not only slipstream in service packs and hot fixes, but it will allow you to remove most unused "features" that bloat up and bog down XP.

TheDVDMan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:32 pm

Another vote for nLite. That program rocks. Best thing about it? I can yank IE and Media Player out 8)
[/posting]

shade
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:49 pm

i try to download nlite from the site.. and it tells me that it has this error with reffers or something like that and it tells me how to fix it and i try to fix it. I even use different browsers and it still doesnt work. soo does anybody know of a different place where i could download it.
[Shade]™

golfmore
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:16 am

A_Pickle
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:08 pm

Is there anything that can do this with Vista?
Sagan: Core i7 4790K + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 | Mushkin Striker 480GB | 1 TB Hitachi HD31000 HDD | Sapphire Radeon R9-290X | Rosewill Line-M
My HeatWare
The Great Graphics Card Warranty Thread

WebHobbit
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:06 pm

BIF

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:20 am

I'm preparing to slipstream my old pre-SP2 Windows installation disc.

This is a bit of an old thread, so I thought I'd ask if the winsupersite referred to in prior posts above is still current, and/or if there's anything new that I should know about slipstreaming?

Thanks!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:40 am

BIF wrote:
I'm preparing to slipstream my old pre-SP2 Windows installation disc.

This is a bit of an old thread, so I thought I'd ask if the winsupersite referred to in prior posts above is still current, and/or if there's anything new that I should know about slipstreaming?

Thanks!
Should still be relevant. However nLite should have been updated to the point that it incorporates most if not all of the information listed there.

Now that VM technology has matured so much and is available for free, I would suggest testing any slipstreamed images on a VM first (or just for trying out various slipstreaming techniques), then you can be sure you are good.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BIF

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:12 am

Well, this is for a new build.

I do have high speed at home and I only plan to do this one build, so a slipstreamed disc is not "really" required.

However, I've never done a slipstream before. Partly this is out of curiosity and desire for learning, and partly, it's a "just in case" I need to re-install on the new system at a later date...

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:24 pm

BIF wrote:
I do have high speed at home and I only plan to do this one build, so a slipstreamed disc is not "really" required.

However, I've never done a slipstream before. Partly this is out of curiosity and desire for learning, and partly, it's a "just in case" I need to re-install on the new system at a later date...
I would still do one with all the up-to-date updates/patches rolled in but leaving the hardware drivers out. Then you get a "generic" one that you can use should the need arises in the future.

My suggestion for doing VMs is to test-drive your slipstream'ed results, without wasting some blank CDs.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BIF

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:36 am

I understand it now.

Well, the slipstream idea just got deep-sixed. The old system could not read certain files from the original install disk. And I didn't bother trying to do it with my company laptop.

I'll just skip it and do an old-fashioned install and upgrade. No biggie; maybe next time!

BIF

Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:47 am

BIF wrote:
I understand it now.

Well, the slipstream idea just got deep-sixed. The old system could not read certain files from the original install disk. And I didn't bother trying to do it with my company laptop.

I'll just skip it and do an old-fashioned install and upgrade. No biggie; maybe next time!

Figured out why the old system couldn't read the install disc.

It had a stress-fracture on the media side! By the time I figured this out, I had already gutted the old system and built the new one.

I was able to use an alternate disc to do the install.