Is it possible to be in love with a monitor? (pics)

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Is it possible to be in love with a monitor? (pics)

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:15 pm

I don't know, but I am getting close!

Ordered my Westinghouse 1080p LVM-37W3 37" LCD last Saturday night from Crutchfield, arrived today via Eagle Freight. (I am in Central FLA) Friendly, quick service, and just in time for the weekend! This baby is amazing!

As a monitor it is amazing, full 1920x1080 resolution via DVI. HDTV looks amazing as well as Xbox 360. Best thing is (and I wasn't expecting it) it supports DPMS in Windows. Nice!

Pics! Enjoy!

Click for large version
Image

Click for large version
Image


Click for large version
Image


Click for large version
Image

No large version needed
Image

Click for large version
Image
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | Seasonic M12II 620W PSU | Fractal Define R4 | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7923
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:02 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:27 pm

Very nice, just wish I could afford one like that myself.
iMac 27" | 13" Macbook Pro all running Mavericks
monts
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1513
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 6:58 pm
Location: Western Australia (Gods Own Country for those uncertain)

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:44 pm

Wow, that's bootyful!
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:55 pm

Ye gods, that's gorgeous. Not to mention the impressive multimedia setup you have atop the desk.
Asus A8N32-SLI - AMD X2 4200+ @ 2.7GHz - 2 x 1GB Corsair PC-3500LL @ 266MHz, 3-3-3-6 - SLI 7800GTs @ 505/1206 - Corsair HX620 PSU - Cooler Master RC-690

The two great evils of system tuning: YMMV and IIRC.
Gungir
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Sol System

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:07 pm

I'm sure the TV is wonderful but sitting at that distance from it, you'll turn your eyes into little smouldering pulps of nothingness very soon (and probably your neck too).

It's a 37", it should be a few yards away from you.

In any case, enjoy it :D
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9859
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:51 pm
Location: Portugal (that's next to Spain)

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:11 pm

Heh yeah, that really is a big monitor thats so darn close to you. Do you find yourself moving your head to look at something? :P

One thing i wondered though, how come computer LCD monitor's do not support HDTV resolutions? Like 720 and 1080? What is the difference from a computer monitor resolution and a HDTV resolution.
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Jive
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:14 pm
Location: San Francisco, California

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:21 pm

Mysty wrote:One thing i wondered though, how come computer LCD monitor's do not support HDTV resolutions? Like 720 and 1080? What is the difference from a computer monitor resolution and a HDTV resolution.


Well there's the 16:10 vs. 16:9 aspect ratio for one......
Some 1920x1200 displays do support 1920x1080 input without scaling afaik.
Q9400@3.2GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW
crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:25 pm

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:27 pm

PerfectCr, rarely do I actually like other peoples' computer desk setups because I am extremely picky and semi-OCD when it comes to my choice of hardware, organization, and etc.

Your setup is much like something I would like to copy. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Nice setup.
Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:28 am
Location: Seattle, Washington

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:29 pm

He's always so darned organized! I'm jealous. hehe.

Nice monitor *salivates*
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Core i7 3770 | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600| Samsung 830 128GB SSD | Gigabyte HD7950 3GB | Win 7 Pro x86-64
CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1311
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:53 pm

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:32 pm

So with such a large size and relatively low resolution, doesn't that leave things looking fairly stretched?

I'd love to do something like that myself when I get a new monitor, but I'd be afraid that at only 1900x1080, with a 37inch screen it'd leave things looking awkward.
Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1514
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:57 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:46 pm

You make me jealous. I am still waiting for the goddamn prices to drop. Even a decent 26" HDTV costs 1000$ here :cry: And I can't import them like all the other things I've did due to their size
lordT
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7426
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:11 pm
Location: Writing

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Spyder22446688 wrote:PerfectCr, rarely do I actually like other peoples' computer desk setups because I am extremely picky and semi-OCD when it comes to my choice of hardware, organization, and etc.

Your setup is much like something I would like to copy. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Nice setup.

Thanks man :) And to the others, not it doesn't bother me at all to sit that close. I am about 2 feet away and it's great. When I play the 360 I sit even farther, like 5 to 6 feet.

Inkedsphynx no it's doesn't look awkward. It's extremely sharp at this resolution. I am very pleased with the text quality and clarity of the monitor.

morphine wrote:I'm sure the TV is wonderful but sitting at that distance from it, you'll turn your eyes into little smouldering pulps of nothingness very soon (and probably your neck too).

It's a 37", it should be a few yards away from you.

True but I played a nice session of UT2004 tonight and it was great. Didn't bother me at all!
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | Seasonic M12II 620W PSU | Fractal Define R4 | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7923
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:02 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:08 pm

PerfectCr wrote:True but I played a nice session of UT2004 tonight and it was great. Didn't bother me at all!

Yeah, we, UT2K4 players are resilient beasts :wink:
lordT
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7426
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:11 pm
Location: Writing

Postposted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:53 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:True but I played a nice session of UT2004 tonight and it was great. Didn't bother me at all!

Yeah, we, UT2K4 players are resilient beasts :wink:


Not resilient enough to overcome my **** 17" LCD. Time to upgrade. Oh, but with another LCD, I'll want to run dual monitors. That means I'll need a video card with dual DVI. That means I'll need a new motherboard that supports PCIe. That means I'll also need a new CPU, new cooler, and new RAM. Damn, we're talking like $1400.
Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:28 am
Location: Seattle, Washington

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:25 am

Spyder22446688 wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:True but I played a nice session of UT2004 tonight and it was great. Didn't bother me at all!

Yeah, we, UT2K4 players are resilient beasts :wink:


Not resilient enough to overcome my **** 17" LCD. Time to upgrade. Oh, but with another LCD, I'll want to run dual monitors. That means I'll need a video card with dual DVI. That means I'll need a new motherboard that supports PCIe. That means I'll also need a new CPU, new cooler, and new RAM. Damn, we're talking like $1400.

Hard times, eh? :lol:
lordT
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7426
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:11 pm
Location: Writing

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:30 am

Hard times indeed. The life I live. But wait until this summer, muhahaha.
Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:28 am
Location: Seattle, Washington

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:33 am

Spyder22446688 wrote:Hard times indeed. The life I live. But wait until this summer, muhahaha.

I just dropped 3.5k on my laptop which means I am broke for the next month. Have just started saving for a nice HDTV + Xbox 360 + Wii + gfx card upgrade for UT 2K7. Damn, it sucks to be a consumer whore
lordT
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7426
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:11 pm
Location: Writing

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:02 am

crazybus wrote:
Mysty wrote:One thing i wondered though, how come computer LCD monitor's do not support HDTV resolutions? Like 720 and 1080? What is the difference from a computer monitor resolution and a HDTV resolution.


Well there's the 16:10 vs. 16:9 aspect ratio for one......
Some 1920x1200 displays do support 1920x1080 input without scaling afaik.


So how would it affect viewing HD content of 1080/720 on a 1920x1200/1680x1050 screen?
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Jive
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1570
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:14 pm
Location: San Francisco, California

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:06 am

Mysty wrote:So how would it affect viewing HD content of 1080/720 on a 1920x1200/1680x1050 screen?


It depends on the specific monitor and it's input and scaling capabilities. While I haven't actually hooked up my 20" dell to a HD source like an xbox360 I have output a 720p signal to it over dvi. I can either display it 1:1 on the monitor, have it scaled to fill the screen, or use aspect scaling which maintains the 16:9 aspect ratio and leaves narrow black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. I haven't tried it but I imagine it would do the same to a vga signal. Viewing 1280x720 input on a 1680x1050 screen is not ideal though as the scaling makes it a little blurry.

As far as 1920x1200 screens go I've heard that the Dell 24" can't display a 1080p signal over component cables. But I think as long as you used vga or hdmi/dvi it would work fine, and displaying the input 1:1 wouldn't waste any horizontal screen space.
Q9400@3.2GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW
crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:25 pm

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:48 am

Mysty wrote:
crazybus wrote:
Mysty wrote:One thing i wondered though, how come computer LCD monitor's do not support HDTV resolutions? Like 720 and 1080? What is the difference from a computer monitor resolution and a HDTV resolution.


Well there's the 16:10 vs. 16:9 aspect ratio for one......
Some 1920x1200 displays do support 1920x1080 input without scaling afaik.


So how would it affect viewing HD content of 1080/720 on a 1920x1200/1680x1050 screen?

Depends. Mine shows black bars on the left and right

Edit: Sorry, top and bottom
Last edited by lordT on Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
lordT
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7426
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:11 pm
Location: Writing

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:25 am

lordtottuu wrote:
Mysty wrote:
crazybus wrote:
Mysty wrote:One thing i wondered though, how come computer LCD monitor's do not support HDTV resolutions? Like 720 and 1080? What is the difference from a computer monitor resolution and a HDTV resolution.


Well there's the 16:10 vs. 16:9 aspect ratio for one......
Some 1920x1200 displays do support 1920x1080 input without scaling afaik.


So how would it affect viewing HD content of 1080/720 on a 1920x1200/1680x1050 screen?

Depends. Mine shows black bars on the left and right

You probably mean on the bottom and top. On a 16:10 monitor there is a faint black "line" or "area" that is not filled with content because 16:9 is wider than 16:10.
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | Seasonic M12II 620W PSU | Fractal Define R4 | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7923
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:02 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:37 am

PerfectCr wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
Mysty wrote:
crazybus wrote:
Mysty wrote:One thing i wondered though, how come computer LCD monitor's do not support HDTV resolutions? Like 720 and 1080? What is the difference from a computer monitor resolution and a HDTV resolution.


Well there's the 16:10 vs. 16:9 aspect ratio for one......
Some 1920x1200 displays do support 1920x1080 input without scaling afaik.


So how would it affect viewing HD content of 1080/720 on a 1920x1200/1680x1050 screen?

Depends. Mine shows black bars on the left and right

You probably mean on the bottom and top. On a 16:10 monitor there is a faint black "line" or "area" that is not filled with content because 16:9 is wider than 16:10.

Erm..yeah. I mistyped :oops:
lordT
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7426
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:11 pm
Location: Writing

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:14 am

sweet looking monitor
Core I7 2600K @ 4.8 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 570 | WD Black 1 TB HDD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | Sapphire 4890 1 gig
tsoulier
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:17 am
Location: South Louisiana

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:46 am

The answer to your question is YES!
Absolutely gorgeous! :D
Retired!
gerbilspy
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:38 pm
Location: Southern Illinois

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:08 am

gerbilspy wrote:The answer to your question is YES!
Absolutely gorgeous! :D

Thanks, although my wife might disagree. :P
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | Seasonic M12II 620W PSU | Fractal Define R4 | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7923
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:02 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:24 am

PerfectCr wrote:
gerbilspy wrote:The answer to your question is YES!
Absolutely gorgeous! :D

Thanks, although my wife might disagree. :P

Blasphemy, I say, blasphemy
lordT
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7426
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:11 pm
Location: Writing

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:29 am

Gah that was the TV I was looking to purchase, as my tv for my living room, and here you are using it as a computer monitor :o

I was planning on getting it from the egg, I guess Ill check out crutchfield too now.

It is out of stock now how much was it on Crutchfield.
Always Proud to be Hokie
VaTech Hokie
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2214
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:45 pm
Location: Waiting for the return of the great TB

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:50 pm

That is one sexy setup right there. <3
Silverstone SG06: 2500K@4.5Ghz on Corsair H80 Push+Pull Scythe Kama Flow 2, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670, ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT, 16GB Patriot DDR3-1600 @1T, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3154
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:10 pm
Location: Burlington MA

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:55 pm

Man crushes abound.
Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:28 am
Location: Seattle, Washington

Postposted on Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:19 pm

I could use some 1920x1200 action though. (i wanna see Oblivion at that res)
Silverstone SG06: 2500K@4.5Ghz on Corsair H80 Push+Pull Scythe Kama Flow 2, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670, ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT, 16GB Patriot DDR3-1600 @1T, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3154
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:10 pm
Location: Burlington MA

Next

Return to General Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Pez, Scorpiuscat, wildabeast56 and 12 guests