Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

LogicDrive
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Two cases... Trying to decide which one, could use some help

Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:28 pm

After much google searches and reading a lot of reviews, i have narrowed my case list down to the Cooler Master ATC-111C-BXJ and the Lian Li PC-61.

Both seem to be great cases, but since i can't see one face to face, it's hard to decide.

If i buy the PC-61(without the side window), i will probably try to stealth the drives. My concerns with it are the motherboard tray (looks a bit flimsy) and the motherboard mounting standoffs. Good USB, plenty of thumbscrews and removable HD rack.

The ATC 111C looks a lot more solid, but it's also more expensive. Also, no USB and there isn't any kind of ventilation near the PCI slots(PC-61 has plenty of vents near them). Solid motherboard tray and front door.

I'm having trouble to decide, so if someone owns one of them, or similar, i could use some help with pro's and con's.

Thanks!

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:41 pm

Out of the two, I would go for the Lian Li. Ive read a few reviews on both cases, and both look to be good cases, you cant really make a bad choice here...

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:34 am

Have you looked at other cases? I kinda like the Antec Plusview1000AMG. It ain't too pricey, has a nice window and is solid enough.
*yawn*

LJ
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:47 am

whichever one is quieter

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:53 am

Lian-Li makes good cases, so I don't think you really should worry about the integrity of the motherboard tray. Sure, you don't want to use it as a snowboard, but it should hold up well if past Lian-Li products are of any example. I personally like my Chenming blue aluminum case. It's very roomy, attractive, convient, and is a pleasure to work with. Both of the cases you mention however are excellent choices. It may simply come down to which one has the better appearance.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

LogicDrive
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:28 am

Thanks for the replies!

Both are very nice cases, if the Chenming had an aluminum bezel i would go for it. Only items that i'm really sure is that it must be all aluminum, with the "minimalist" look.

About the case space, do you think that with the new processors coming, the motherboard format is going to change? I'm hoping to stay with the new case for a long long time, it would be great to be sure that it can fit most motherboards without problems.

Cooler Master case website was updated with a new case: Wavemaster TAC T01, too much curves for my taste, but the air guide seems interesting. Couldn't find any info about how it is inside, though.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:50 am

LJ wrote:
whichever one is quieter

lol i never realized that cases made noise.

hmm TURN DOWN YOUR FREAKIN CASE its giving me a headache!!!
:lol:
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:23 am

lol i never realized that cases made noise.

hmm TURN DOWN YOUR FREAKIN CASE its giving me a headache!!!

Well... they can made some noise (case fans) and provide better or worse isolation from the noise inside.
no sig

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:35 am

I have had two Lian-Li's and a Coolermaster. The CM's mobo tray was, indeed, quite rugged, but the CM used funky standoffs, a major PITA. The LL uses these neat little expanding doodads instead, works tons better.

I had a Coolermaster... I'm now on a PC-82 (PC-6* plus top fan, second rear fan, different front fascia, and a stock window... All the things I was GOING to do to my PC-62) I find everything but the mobo tray to be superior, on the LL.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:03 pm

I have the same case as forge, and it is extremely well made and keeps my system nice and cool. It is really worth getting one of these cases.

LogicDrive
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:30 pm

Thanks, i will most likely buy the Lian Li.

About the PC-82, most that i've found had only 3 fans, where did you find one with a second back fan and the top fan? I was considering to add a second back fan to the PC-61(PC-61 B has a top fan too).