Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:13 pm

Gungir wrote:
For my part, my grandfather left me a Luger P38 in his will, but at eighteen I'm still too young to take full ownership. For the moment, it's in the safe of one of my great uncles.

Not to be too picky, but that's not a Luger. It's a Walther P38:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg68-e.htm

Lugers look like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luger_pistol
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:15 pm

Gungir wrote:
For my part, my grandfather left me a Luger P38 in his will, but at eighteen I'm still too young to take full ownership.

No offense, but it's a Walther P38, not a <a href=http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=1>luger</a>. Take some time and research it before you get it. I'm not trying to be a dick. It's a nice piece and I'm just saying that I wish I was getting one as a gift, and would enjoy learning about it before hand. :D

Gungir wrote:
I'm not fond of the idea of a gun in the house, but as I'm the only one in my immediate family who can handle firearms, the pistol's fallen to me. It will stay under lock and key even if someone broke into the house. I would never risk it being stolen. For burglar deterrence, I have a rapier on my bedroom wall.

Is there a local range you could go to? Would you go? Most of the "unfondness" of having a gun in the house has the potential to go away with familiarity. Most guns are perfectly safe. It tends to be unsafe practices that lead to problems.

edit: dang...Ned beat me to it!
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

bwoodring
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:38 pm

Aphasia wrote:
As for gun pr0n - wasnt there a H&K gun that used caseless ammo around a few years ago. G11 i think the name was. Whatever happened to that idea.

Yeah. The HK G11. It was never mass-produced. By all accounts is tested out pretty successfully, but nobody seemed interested in a new, incompatible round. It's a shame though, the idea of a 2000rpm burst was really cool. Supposedly, but the time you could feel recoil, you'd already put out three rounds in a tight pattern.

Gungir
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:55 pm

Hm. Good catch, gents. I've only ever heard my dad mention the gun, and 'Luger P38' on Google returned results that led me to the right place. Most of the information I came across said P38 all over the place, and there were a lot of mentions of how the Walther P38 replaced the Luger, so I must have joined the two in my head. Thanks for the correction.

Thanks to BSA, I know how to handle most common firearms, including semi-automatic handguns, revolvers, rifles, and shotguns, but familiarity still doesn't mean I like the idea of having one. Having been shot in the foot before by a moron with a .22 LR revolver, it's not something I'd wish on anyone else. Target shooting I enjoy, but as far as I'm concerned, the trigger lock never comes off once I leave the range.

My OP has been corrected. For reference, most of the information I cited about the P38 came from here, a collector's web site.
Asus A8N32-SLI - AMD X2 4200+ @ 2.7GHz - 2 x 1GB Corsair PC-3500LL @ 266MHz, 3-3-3-6 - SLI 7800GTs @ 505/1206 - Corsair HX620 PSU - Cooler Master RC-690

The two great evils of system tuning: YMMV and IIRC.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:43 pm

For my part, my grandfather left me a Walther P38 in his will, but at eighteen I'm still too young to take full ownership.

Actually, it is usually legal for a handgun to be gifted to someone who is not not 21 yet (assuming that you are at least 18 ).

How can you sell an AK? I thought that was illegal in the US, unless I'm incorrect in assuming you're in the US

LFK's gun is simply a semi-automatic centerfire rifle. Some states like California, New York, etc. classify it under the ridiculous term of assault rifle for cosmetic and political reasons, but since LFK's gun doesn't have a giggle switch on it, the assault weapon classification doesn't change the fact that it is no more or less deadly than your average hunting rifle. Private sale to another person is typically allowed in most states until you start getting into more complicated issues like interstate sales and whatnot.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

tsoulier
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun May 13, 2007 5:31 pm

Here is my newest member and my pride and joy.
Just bought it this weekend , didn't even put a shell
in it yet , this coming weekend I will be in a skeet shoot
should come in handy.
benelli super sport
Core I7 2600K @ 4.6 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | EVGA GTX 570

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sun May 13, 2007 8:57 pm

Sweet looking shotgun. Spendy lil bitch tho and a tad outta my price range :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sun May 13, 2007 9:08 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
Sweet looking shotgun. Spendy lil bitch tho and a tad outta my price range :lol:
I was thinking the same thing. :wink:

tsoulier
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon May 14, 2007 5:47 am

Yeah its high dollar , 1700 bucks , glad i didn't have to pay for all of it.
It was part of a gift
Core I7 2600K @ 4.6 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | EVGA GTX 570

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon May 14, 2007 8:05 am

A mate of mine just brought this:

IIRC he said it's a Enfield Number 4 Mark 1 or something like that. The date stamp says 1943

It's deactivated of course, no real guns allowed in the UK and pretty soon even deactivated guns won't be allowed either.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon May 14, 2007 1:21 pm

We're getting lots of Lee-Enfields offered up for sale over here in recent years. I don't like calibers that seem like they'd be hard to find ammunition for, but somewhere I read about .308 conversions or some such offered... which might be interesting.

Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue May 15, 2007 4:38 am

I'm just starting my gun collection as I just turned 18(a year ago). It's starting to look a lot like the collection that eckslaks has.

My first rifle was a Mosin Nanant exactly like his just it's from 1945 instead of 1946. Those are fun rifles I didn't even intend to buy one when I went to the store.. at 90 bones I couldn't help myself(the non laminate ones were only 80). Cheap ammo and fun rifle FTW.

I finally made it to VA for my buschmaster CAR-15 just like that one except for the sight(I've got the stock removable iron sight/carry handle. I'm planning on getting a front pistol grip and rail system for it as well as a 3 point sling perhaps(not sure why I need that really but they're cool). Have to get a few military surplus magazines because the one that came with the rifle is really bad, it doesn't lock the bolt back when the ammo is expended.

I'll post pictures up some time in the near future.

My next rifle is going to be an M1 Garand when then CMP gets them in stock.. after that I'll probably hold off until I'm 21 and can buy some pistols.

havanu
Gerbil First Class

FAL

Tue May 15, 2007 5:17 am

Hey Guys,

Recently directed a short called "FAL". It's actually still in post-prod stage.
The title refers to the FN-FAL, a Belgian assault rifle that packed some serious punch back in the days.
It's french spoken, and the main actor, Claude, is a sight to behold.
I wanted the whole FN back-catalogue on display in the background, but some of those guns proved to be impossible to find, like the F2000, or the FN SCAR. We did manage to get a hold of fully decked out P90 and a rather impressive looking Minime.
Anyway, some pics for all you gun nuts out there...

(Oh, and in case some of you question the inclusion of the M16 pictured below, FN Manufacturing has a contract to produce these for the American army, along with the Minime, which they have designed by the way...)
I7-3770@4ghz, Asus P8H77-M, NVIDIA 980ti GTX, 16 gig DDR3-800 Kingston, 1x Samsung 840 EVO 512gb SSD, 2x 3000GB 7200rpm SATA WD Black, Lite-on Blu-ray 16x DVD+-RW, X-fi Titanium HD, Corsair 550D Obsidian.
Asus Zenbook UX302 with i5 and 256gb SSD.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Wed May 16, 2007 4:40 pm

I'm just starting my gun collection as I just turned 18(a year ago). It's starting to look a lot like the collection that eckslaks has.

I demand pics! :)
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

panzerlied
Gerbil

Re: FAL

Wed May 16, 2007 4:52 pm

havanu wrote:

(Oh, and in case some of you question the inclusion of the M16 pictured below, FN Manufacturing has a contract to produce these for the American army, along with the Minime, which they have designed by the way...)

Yeah, FN designed or builds all US small arms except the 9MM Baretta 92FS.

Did you manage to snag an FN-MAG?
The tank is the primary offensive weapon in mounted warfare. Its firepower, protection from enemy fire, and speed create the shock effect necessary to disrupt the enemy's operations.

DASQ
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 16, 2007 5:00 pm

In .30-06. '42 Reciever, bolt and trigger group, '61 rebuilt Danish barrel. Going to get my bayonet from a co-worker.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 16, 2007 7:07 pm

May you soon learn the "ping" of the ejected clip and the agony of "M1 thumb".

havanu
Gerbil First Class

Re: FAL

Wed May 16, 2007 7:21 pm

panzerlied wrote:
havanu wrote:

Did you manage to snag an FN-MAG?

Sadly, no. We came close, but all they had was an M60. Similar gun, although not quite the same thing. So we ended up leaving it out.
We did have a Hi-Power, awesome gun BTW. Great handling, especially when you consider how long it has been in service. Truly a great showcase of Pre- WO II craftsmanship. Would have loved to have a Five seveN, but that proved equally hard to come by. And the FN FNC is just impossible to find around here. Bizarre, seen how it was build here in the first place (I'm Belgian...).
I7-3770@4ghz, Asus P8H77-M, NVIDIA 980ti GTX, 16 gig DDR3-800 Kingston, 1x Samsung 840 EVO 512gb SSD, 2x 3000GB 7200rpm SATA WD Black, Lite-on Blu-ray 16x DVD+-RW, X-fi Titanium HD, Corsair 550D Obsidian.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed May 16, 2007 7:39 pm

havanu: I think we'd all appreciate your explaining more about your short film. What the purpose of it is, where it will be released... and if there will be any way for those of us w/o the capacity to understand French to understand it (maybe a translated script or something?), that sort of thing. Any extra information you care to give would probably be of some interest.

DASQ
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 16, 2007 9:08 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
May you soon learn the "ping" of the ejected clip and the agony of "M1 thumb".

Haven't had enough of the first, and one too many of the second :/

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 17, 2007 12:48 am

I've already got a computer monitor and a laptop purchase lined up in the queue, and now you guys are going to get me started on guns, too??! Drat you all!! :evil: :wink: All I've got that's halfway unique is a CO2 long-barrel pistol that fires .22 wadcutters. Heavy duty air pistols have just about disappeared from the market since then, it's all BBs or Airsoft these days until you move up to rifles.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

havanu
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 17, 2007 8:08 am

Ragnar Dan wrote:
havanu: I think we'd all appreciate your explaining more about your short film. What the purpose of it is, where it will be released... and if there will be any way for those of us w/o the capacity to understand French to understand it (maybe a translated script or something?), that sort of thing. Any extra information you care to give would probably be of some interest.

Well, it's basically a short that critises our rather ambiguous stance towards our weapon production, and how many of these guns (often part of older stocks...) end up being sold to third world nations. How these weapons inflict massive damage on the population there, and how they are being used as a tool to control/enforce certain groups of people. How they dictate the outcome of certain conflicts, and how we, as a country, profit from this. (Belgium owned one of the biggest colony's (Congo). In fact it's about 75 times as big as Belgium itself.) Needles to say, the natural resources available made us filthy rich, and are making us a lot more money up 'till this day. Part of dealing with the local rebels is supplying them with weapons, and letting them fight their battles for us.

Thing is, I've always been fascinated by weapons. I like to look at them, hold them, shoot them. But the more I read about them, the more I got interested in the history of how a small country like Belgium became such a big player in the weaponbussiness.
I mean, government and law enforcement contracts I have no qualms with. But that's only part of the picture. So I started delving into the historybooks and newspaper articles. And finally I made this film about it.

This is the promo flyer:

I tried to keep it nuanced. The black man in my film is dangerous, and a killer. But he's also a victim of his upbringing, and is trying to make something out of his "new" life. The small boy is a bit of a spoiled brat. But you can feel that, more then anything, he just wants to be accepted. That he is not fully aware of his fathers' past, and even though he knows something is wrong, he'd rather bury his head in the sand then look up and face the music.

The short is funded by the Flemish governement. We have a long running feud with the French part of Belgium. (We speak Dutch...)
The only reason I could get this film made in french is because I won a "Wildcard", which was a fund granted to the two most succesful graduation shortfilms that year. And because of this I got "carte blanche", and could do whatever I wanted. And since most Congolese speak French, and FN is actually located in Herstal, which is part of French Belgium, French seemed like a logical choice for the main language.

Once the film is released, it will be subtittled in English. It will be shown in the festival circuit first, then hopefully find it's way onto the numerous shortfilm compilation DVD's out there. Finally, an internet release (Youtube maybe) will be possible as well. But that's only after the festivals have shown it. (They demand exclusivity...)

So there you go.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu May 17, 2007 11:19 am

I see. I deserved that, I suppose. :D

While I don't much want to get into politics (we have a separate forum here for such discussions), I don't think most of the people reading this thread would agree that weapons themselves are the problem. And as for me, I'm not a big supporter of the "resources make you rich" notion of despising the West. It's a bit Marxist for me. Japan and Hong Kong didn't become wealthy because they had natural resources, and natural resources weren't worth anything until Europeans and Americans invented uses for them.

Nice looking pistol, and thanks for the response. :wink:

havanu
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 17, 2007 6:06 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
I see. I deserved that, I suppose. :D

While I don't much want to get into politics (we have a separate forum here for such discussions), I don't think most of the people reading this thread would agree that weapons themselves are the problem. And as for me, I'm not a big supporter of the "resources make you rich" notion of despising the West. It's a bit Marxist for me. Japan and Hong Kong didn't become wealthy because they had natural resources, and natural resources weren't worth anything until Europeans and Americans invented uses for them.

Nice looking pistol, and thanks for the response. :wink:

You're quite right. Weapons are only the means, and never the end goal.
But things change when a company is created with governement money, to produce weapons for the governement, and then, somehow along the way, starts making more money catering to the private market by selling them military grade weapons. I mean, I don't care that the average hobbyist prefers to shoot with a highly advanced state of the art weapon as opposed to a simple generic pea shooter. Hell no, laser sights and nightvision for the winnar!
What I don't like is obscure rebel groups who get these kind of weapons so they can the wipe out a competing tribe/gang who are guarding and exploiting a diamond mine in some far away province.
After which this gang can, once they've taken over, sell the diamonds to the person that sold them the weapons in the first place.
Now, could these rebels have the same kind of "persuasion" without superior firepower? Maybe.
"Sure, the average 14 year old couldn't kill ten grown men. But give him a machine gun, and suddenly all bets are off."

Oh, and about the "resources" remark. Just one example: Belgium is the biggest diamond processing and trading country in the world. And Congo is one of the major Diamond suppliers in the world. See what I'm aiming at?

Shall we start a seperate thread about this in the political part of the Fora?
Unless of course none of you really wants to get into this. I mean, these kind of discussions could get real ugly, and that was not why I posted in this thread in the first place. Just wanted to show of the beauties. The political story that goes along with it is just optional...

VaTech Hokie

Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:27 pm

My new addition Daly 1911 45 I just bought at a gun show. Gun laws are pretty weak here in IN, I handed over 400$, and got a yellow receipt, 2mags and a pistol. Not even a background check.

My fun gun 1894c Marlin 357/38

Always Proud to be Hokie

ric
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:34 pm

Yeah, some states are kinda lax

I use Glocks (preferably .45s) I feel comfortable with the .45 'stopping' power. It's the 21 and 36 (for back up) and I also have a 19 and 26 (9mm)

For basic home defense, I have a 870P, a 870MCS and couple of black Kalashnikov 47s with folding stocks
Veritas vos liberabit
--------------------------------------------------------
Sugo evo (falcon nw handle) - gigabyte ga-g33m-ds2r/ 1:1 divider - corsair 620watt psu - QX6700 - patriot eXtreme 4gb - evga 8800Ultra 768mb - 150g raptor - dell 24"

VaTech Hokie

Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:35 pm

Uh well mine are not for defense. They are for shooting paper targets at the shooting range and having fun. I try not to think of them as a defense mechanism. I keep mine in a safe at home, and I hope to expand my collection a gun every couple of months, but again all for fun, I do not carry. Though I do fully respect those people who have them for defense mine are an extension of my childish desire to acquire more toys, whether it be electronic, fishing, firearm, or vehicular. :D

Edit: Anyone know where I can get some nice rosewood grips for my 1911?
Always Proud to be Hokie

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:43 pm

VaTech Hokie wrote:

http://www.woodgrips.com/1911%2045%20grips.htm

Plenty of good stuff there.

VaTech Hokie

Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:49 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
VaTech Hokie wrote:

http://www.woodgrips.com/1911%2045%20grips.htm

Plenty of good stuff there.

O sweet they have the safety cut as well, thank you I am going to order a set now :D
Always Proud to be Hokie

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:04 pm

A new Bushmaster flat-top and 2 Romanian AK's. :D

Anyone else worried that post 08' elections hold a re-enacting of the AWB?