Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Formula 1: 2007 mini-league

Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:25 pm

We have been watching the site for a couple of weeks, looks like they have finally procrastinated long enough to put this up in the nick of time.

So I have signed up (this is my high risk, potentially high reward lineup, I will create a 2nd one to participate with my other friends in another mini-league too) and created the mini-league. Information is the same as last year.

Mini-league name: TR Racers
Password: Damage

For those who doesn't know, just pick the drivers and teams that fit into a fictional 75mil budget, 3 transfer windows (you can go across groups during the transfer windows), and see who accumulates the most points at the end of the season.

Again, here's the link.

First round in Melbourne starts next week!

Also, let's keep all 2007 season discussions here too. Let's get it on!
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

brainchild786
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:40 pm

I am in! Team name is No Hopers... see you at the finish line!
Easily Distracted Genius

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:52 pm

Prepare to be beaten again as Captain's Tifosi are ready to go.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:17 pm

I'm in as 'Veywon'

Can't wait for this F1 season. I will be surprised if Raikonnen doesn't speed off into the distance.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:59 pm

Sikthskies wrote:
I will be surprised if Raikonnen doesn't speed off into the distance.
Massa has been owning him the whole winter. Some people want to believe that Kimi is not showing his real speed. I don't think so, at least not until the flyaways are over. He's still getting used to the whole Ferrari system so we will see. And Alonso can steal a race or two in the early stages if they are not careful. Assuming the McLarens are reliable, they may pull a Renault and shortfuel for pole and try to hold on from there.

Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:23 am

Yea i may have to agree with you there. When Massa was on form last season he was untouchable. Same with Kimi and Alonso though. I think this F1 season will be a great one. Haven't been so excited about one for a long time. Wonder if Kimi will enjoy his stay at Ferrari. He's got a big name to live up to.

thill9
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:04 pm

Alright, I'm in!

Team: Fred's Faster N U

Anti tifosi all the way!!! Heh, Kimi sandbagging? Right... he's too busy knocking back drinks for that.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:03 pm

thill9 wrote:
Alright, I'm in!

Team: Fred's Faster N U

Anti tifosi all the way!!! Heh, Kimi sandbagging? Right... he's too busy knocking back drinks for that.
Hahaha, same as computer hardware, being a fanboy won't win you any points. :lol:

I go with the maximum possible points, and right now Ferrari is the team to beat.

thill9
Gerbil First Class

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:30 am

Just like last year, I'm playing with my heart on my sleeve. I'll never pick up a Ferrari driver or the Ferrari team over anyone else. It's like a Red Sox fan betting on the Yankees to win. I just can't do it.

As for being a fanboy, there's nothing wrong with rooting for a particular team in sports. If you think you're an unbiased sports fan, you're kidding yourself. Unlike computer hardware, things in the sports world aren't as black and white.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:24 am

thill9 wrote:
Just like last year, I'm playing with my heart on my sleeve. I'll never pick up a Ferrari driver or the Ferrari team over anyone else. It's like a Red Sox fan betting on the Yankees to win. I just can't do it.

As for being a fanboy, there's nothing wrong with rooting for a particular team in sports. If you think you're an unbiased sports fan, you're kidding yourself. Unlike computer hardware, things in the sports world aren't as black and white.
That's why some of us use a wife/dad/friend's name to register a 2nd team (or more). One for the heart, one for the win. :P

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

notfred, notfred, where are you?

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:18 am

Bumping this so hopefully notfred sees it.

I'm sure he will get his Tifosi hat on soon enough.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:52 pm

Been really busy and almost missed the entry date, but I'm in with notfred's nutters again. Not sure that entering after a long day when tired is the best strategy, but we'll see how this lot go.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:25 pm

notfred wrote:
Been really busy and almost missed the entry date, but I'm in with notfred's nutters again. Not sure that entering after a long day when tired is the best strategy, but we'll see how this lot go.
You can always enter a 2nd team. :)

Speaking of which I need to get my other teams set up too.

Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:12 am

Psssh, 2 teams? Cheats i tell ye. leave it at one and may the best man win :D

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:39 am

Sikthskies wrote:
Hey they do it by email addresses so they use the wife, the brother, the dad's emails of course. :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:22 am

Sikthskies wrote:

I plan to. Again.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:33 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Sikthskies wrote:

I plan to. Again.
notfred and I have other ideas Ned. We will see. :wink:

/trash-talk

freshf1
Gerbil In Training

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:36 am

Are we technically allowed to have multiple teams? :D
<a href="http://freshf1.com">http://freshf1.com</a>

Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:03 pm

After Round one
1) Flying Fox
2) Veywon (me)
3) Captain's Tifosi

Bring on the next race :D

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:43 pm

freshf1 wrote:
Are we technically allowed to have multiple teams? :D
Are you "No Hopers"? Technically it's not allowed, but I need multiple teams because I participated in 3 mini-leagues this year: TR's, one with my other friends, and another one which is a cool idea with that same group of friends: a "loser" (the one with the least points "win" at the end) league. :lol:

Hah, I didn't know mattsteg was into this and fielded a team. Welcome.

So I am leading eh? First time I have done that in TR Racers. Yay! :D

If not for Kubica and Wurz DNFing I would have scored more. Go figure. Looks like Hamilton may be a keeper after all even at 9mil. He's definitely going to worth more than Kova or even Fisi. Let's see if he can keep this up or will he suffer from the inevitable "rookie" mistakes later on. When I started this I had trouble figuring out which 2 to pick from that Group B. My plan would be to move trade them for better teams/drivers later on. If Hamilton keeps this up he is going to make my decisions tougher!

Too bad for Massa, he's my Group A driver in the other team. :cry:

And yeah, bring on Malaysia! Let's see whose engines won't last.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:55 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Hah, I didn't know mattsteg was into this and fielded a team. Welcome.
Figured I'd start following F1 this season.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:15 am

Sikthskies wrote:
After Round one
1) Flying Fox
2) Veywon (me)
3) Captain's Tifosi

You forgot to mention "notfred's nutters" in 4th and only 6 points separate 2 to 4th :o

Looks like it could be an interesting season. I'm expecting Honda to sort out their braking stability issue at some point and the new car to go faster than last year's (i.e. the Super Aguri). I also expect Red Bull to get used to Newey's "Space Shuttle" of a car (as apparently the mechanics refer to it) and go faster as well.

Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:24 am

notfred wrote:
Sikthskies wrote:
After Round one
1) Flying Fox
2) Veywon (me)
3) Captain's Tifosi

You forgot to mention "notfred's nutters" in 4th and only 6 points separate 2 to 4th :o

Looks like it could be an interesting season. I'm expecting Honda to sort out their braking stability issue at some point and the new car to go faster than last year's (i.e. the Super Aguri). I also expect Red Bull to get used to Newey's "Space Shuttle" of a car (as apparently the mechanics refer to it) and go faster as well.

No 4th place on a podium :P

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:08 am

notfred wrote:
Honda may be able to sort out braking stability but I don't expect them to improve dramatically in the aero department. Looks like they are always behind and once you are behind the 8-ball in aero, the front-running teams will leave you in the dust. Not to mention the drivers are nothing to write home about. Button is showing signs to be as washed up and overrated as Webber. At least Button did not pull any excuses, I guess. It's too early to tell, but may be Hamilton has a better chance at the championship sooner than Button. Rubens? Every year will be "his year" and look at what we have got? Massa broke the "Brazilian (not winning at home since Senna) curse" last year when Rubens never managed to do that at all.

As for Newey, I don't know what happened to him. For the past few years it seemed his designs only worked for one and only one setup under one condition only. When it worked the cars were fast, but in other situations the performance went to the toilet. This is actually an odd thing because the new circuits on the calendar are actually more similar than in the old days you had more variety. Why Newey didn't design for the "common denominator" is beyond me. Either he's losing his touch or he's getting old to adapt to the new era of F1? :roll:

Sikthskies wrote:
notfred wrote:
Seconded. :lol: Just like Massa was close but no cigar to Fisi.

Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:18 pm

Check out this link

I would cry if I could get one of these

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:52 pm

mattsteg wrote:
Figured I'd start following F1 this season.
And apparently you have picked a good year to start. This season, at least on paper, looks to be the most interesting in years.

- MS (not that other M$) is gone
- 2-time champ moved to the 2nd best team
- great rookies (this Hamilton seemed to be really something)
- some decent value teams somewhat overachieving (BMW, Williams and to some degree Super Aguri!)
- big spenders floundering (Honda and Toyota)

Yeah, seems like this season has got it all.

crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:52 pm

We're shooting for low scores right? :P
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:43 pm

Sikthskies wrote:
notfred wrote:
You forgot to mention "notfred's nutters"

Well, I'm still hanging on to the side of the podium, and whilst Fred may claim to be "Faster N U", he ain't faster than me quite yet :lol:

Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:05 am

crazybus wrote:
We're shooting for low scores right? :P
You will have to beat my other team (currently "leading" in that loser mini-league), too bad Alonso won this round. Can't wait for the trading window to dump him. :lol:

Your biggest problem is your trust in Honda, based on winter testing alone we knew they will suck. Of course not suck to this level but it's doing wonders to teams that don't have a shread of Honda in them. Kubica is now a problem with his high price. He can't seem to finish a race properly with good grid start positions.

Looks like McLaren inherited the quick start system (in terms of results) from Renault through Alonso? If they continue to be like this I may have to re-examine moving to an all-Ferrari team after the trading windows. Sure will make interesting decisions down the road.

Hamilton still impresses me, we will see if he can keep this up.

notfred wrote:
Well, I'm still hanging on to the side of the podium, and whilst Fred may claim to be "Faster N U", he ain't faster than me quite yet :lol:
22 points is certainly surmountable but just like a frontrunning F1 car, if Captain can maintain the advantage, you can't past him. It will have to be bad luck or a mistake during the next trading window(s) for that to happen. But you 2 Fred's are 3 points apart which is really exciting to watch!

Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:03 am

I really shouldn't have gone for anything to do with honda lol. It will be interesting to see who retains the lead after transfers. I can see mclaren and ferrari being neck and neck in terms of development this year. Mclaren have he edge one race then Ferrari the next, although the next race is only a week away so I think (hope) Mclaren wil have that in the bag
Q6600|Asus P5b Deluxe|Corsair VX550|4gb Cell Shock 6400|4890|320gb Seagate|Zalman 9700|2407WFP