Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

What education level do you expect to have in 2 years?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:35 pm

<high school
5 (6%)
higshool/GED/equivalent
10 (11%)
2 year degree
13 (14%)
4 year degree
33 (37%)
masters
18 (20%)
PHD
4 (4%)
obligatory swiss degree
7 (8%)

Total votes: 90

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:49 am

AAS-EET, Purdue, 1972 .. Spent four and a half years there (9 semesters) and pursued a lot of education outside the classrooms. Never met a 7:30 AM class I could manage to attend.

edit: Would I do things differently if I could get a do over? You bet your ***! I would stick with double E, apply myself, work around early morning classes, and leave with at least a BS.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:41 am

Took me 7years to get a BS in EE, but boy I had fun doing it. I wound up with two associates and one BS. and a worked-over liver. If I had the choice I probably would have not bothered with the two years of vocational studies.

It all worked out in the end. I do PHD level work on a BA, and in the EE field, experience counts as much as a good degree, and I have a mountain of experience. The drawback? I got paid like crap to get the experience.

-LS

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:25 am

idchafee wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
learning how to coexist with the boorish roommate who would boff his girlfriend with me in the room?

Was she at least hot?
/me goes look up the term on UB...

Do you care if it's just a quickie?

:lol:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:18 am

In 2 years I'll have completed my BBA, Accoutning. I'll have also completed my first year to my CMA. I'm also hoping to finish my engineering diploma, of which I'm only a course short.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:58 am

My education level is high school and I also have my CompTIA A+ Certification. Being nearly 35 years old now, I don't think that going back to school in any capacity interests me.

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:20 am

Currently have a BS in CS. College was the best and worst 10 years of my life. :lol:

I'm 50% done with my MSE. Hopefully that will be completed in 2 years, but it's slow going since I've only been taking one class per semester.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:15 pm

I have a phone conference starting in 10 minutes for the presentation of the oral defense of my doctoral dissertation research proposal.

I'm seriously stressed out. I have no idea what to expect, and have never even talked to the members of my committee before. :-?

Help?
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

monts
Gerbil Jedi
Location: Western Australia (Gods Own Country for those uncertain)

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:02 am

Its about 13 years since I finished my BE(IT) and about 11 since my Grad. Dip. Ed. (Sec). Got Long Service Leave coming up next year and trying to work out what to do, one option is to go back and look at a Masters in Engineering.
iMac 27” | MacBook Air.
Cricket and AFL (Fremantle Dockers) tragic.

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:41 am

I've got a BS in computer engineering, and a BS in human-computer interaction, and soon I'll have an MS in biomed eng. My g/f has bachelors degrees in physics and linguistics, and (sometime after me) will also have an MS in BME.
And yet we still can't put Ikea furniture together.

~Turkina

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:53 am

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
I have a phone conference starting in 10 minutes for the presentation of the oral defense of my doctoral dissertation research proposal.

I'm seriously stressed out. I have no idea what to expect, and have never even talked to the members of my committee before. :-?

Help?

One of my profs had some amusing pre-defense advice. He also collected some posts into a page titled, Graduate student guide to automatic weapons.

But, uh, how do you not know the members of your committee? Isn't your advisor at least on the committee?

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:25 am

bitvector wrote:
But, uh, how do you not know the members of your committee? Isn't your advisor at least on the committee?
Well, this was not my thesis defense, this was a defense of my research proposal prior to submission to the IRB for final approval....before I can even begin collecting data.

This has been a crazy process. I am in the last week of the last course of two + years of research and statistics courses. I started working on forming a committee for this study in August. The university sent out a list of 60 candidates to all of the final-year students. We needed to find three who would serve on our committees, one of which would serve as a "chair person." I exhausted the list, only to discover that they were all maxed out with last years group of graduate students. It took my until January 29 to finally form an adequate committee. Then it took the three committee members until last night to reach a point where they could orally agree to sign off on my study. During this time there has been no feedback to me pertaining to changes or modifications needed for my proposal.

Anyway, it went smoothly, took about 45 minutes, and now there's a 23 page IRB form I need to fill out and send to my chair person for his signature; but at least the ball is back in my court.

FWIW, I started the process of forming a committee before finishing all of the required course work because I planned on collecting data during this current school year....which is quickly slipping away from me. I will now need to find a way to incorporate Summer vacation into the collection portion of my plan. :evil:
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:20 pm

I voted PhD (since I have to write a thesis for the JD, and it is officially considered a doctorate).

BS - Psychology and Biology
MBA - Marketing and International Business
JD - Corporate Law
MS - Finance

Currently pursuing the latter two, will be done August of 2008. Done with formal schooling after that.

soccergenius
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:38 pm

I'm just a freshman in chemistry, so in two years I'll be a junior 8)

excession
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:27 pm

Well, I have 4 years of undergraduate Chemistry to get me a BSc (Bachelor of Science). Would have been an MSci but my 4th year was a waste of time - had a really bad project and worse supervisor so I cut my losses.
I am now studying for a PGCE (Postgrad Certificate in Education) which has Masters' level elements.
i5-4670 | Asus H87M-E | MSI GTX 960 | 8GB DDR3 @800 | WD Green 2TB | 850 EVO 250GB | CM Masterkeys Pro L White | MX518 (original!) | Hyper 212 Evo | 6TB Ubuntu/ZFS NAS
I was going to tell a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones argon.

jekyball
Gerbil In Training

Re: Education level

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32 am

[spam placeholder left in place to explain thread necro]

sircharles32
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:36 am

Masters in Geology.
Workstation: Phenom II X4 965
Every-Day: Athlon II X4 630
Servers: Athlon X2 BE-2400, A8-7600
Gym: Opteron 150

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:56 am

Bummer the poll had an end date back in 2008. Would have been interesting to see the current statistics.

I only have a BS in CS. I intend on obtaining a Masters in the same field, but have not pursued this yet.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:06 pm

thegleek wrote:
Bummer the poll had an end date back in 2008. Would have been interesting to see the current statistics.

I only have a BS in CS. I intend on obtaining a Masters in the same field, but have not pursued this yet.

Any particular reason you want the advanced degree? With a few exceptions, most places hiring software engineers won't care. In today's economy it might even hurt your chances of getting hired if a company has a strict pay grade policy and doesn't want to shell out their going rate for someone with a Masters degree.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Any particular reason you want the advanced degree? With a few exceptions, most places hiring software engineers won't care. In today's economy it might even hurt your chances of getting hired if a company has a strict pay grade policy and doesn't want to shell out their going rate for someone with a Masters degree.

I want to learn more. Obtaining a Master's in CS would allow me to focus and specialize on a particular field. Might even open more doors (ie: government jobs, robotics, AI, etc...)

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm working on a master's degree in electrical engineering. I wish I could revote, as I said bachelor's in my original vote.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:17 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I wish I could revote, as I said bachelor's in my original vote.

I wonder if that's up to the OP (SpotTheCat), or the moderators (emkubed, Captain Ned) here, or an admin (JBI)?

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:21 pm

thegleek wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I want to learn more. Obtaining a Master's in CS would allow me to focus and specialize on a particular field.

Those are certainly worthy goals. But you don't *need* to get a Masters degree to learn new things, and specialization can be a bit of a double-edged sword (today's hot area of specialization may be tomorrow's obsolete skill).

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:23 pm

thegleek wrote:
TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I wish I could revote, as I said bachelor's in my original vote.

I wonder if that's up to the OP (SpotTheCat), or the moderators (emkubed, Captain Ned) here, or an admin (JBI)?

It looks like I have the ability to re-open it, but I think the OP should have a say...

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:26 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Those are certainly worthy goals. But you don't *need* to get a Masters degree to learn new things, and specialization can be a bit of a double-edged sword (today's hot area of specialization may be tomorrow's obsolete skill).

Yeah, not only that, since I'm so -late- in the game. Even after obtaining skills in those areas, wouldn't it look rather strange applying for an internship or junior level position within a new field based on decades of other experiences?

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Or you could take a more generalized approach and get a masters in software engineering instead. That's what I did after my B.S. in CS and it seems to have been a boon for my employment prospects.

The masters-level CS degree (at least the ones I looked at) seemed a lot more theory/research-oriented and a lot less practical, IMHO.
i5-9600K · Z390 Aorus Pro · 16GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 · MSI TwinFrozr HD7850 · Intel 760p 512GB · WD 1TB · HP ZR24w · Corsair VX450 · Antec Solo · Win10/Ubuntu 18.10

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:44 pm

nerdrage wrote:
Or you could take a more generalized approach and get a masters in software engineering instead. That's what I did after my B.S. in CS and it seems to have been a boon for my employment prospects.

The masters-level CS degree (at least the ones I looked at) seemed a lot more theory/research-oriented and a lot less practical, IMHO.

Yeah, practical = win. Now that brings up another scenario... Would it not be more worth my time & investment in just taking a lot of cerifications? ie: Microsoft, RedHat, Cisco, etc... rather then going for the prestigious Masters level piece of paper? Then again, I could work towards a Dr. Gleek title! :D

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Dr. Gleek does have a certain ring to it! :lol:

I can't really comment on the certs, not having any myself. Most of my career has been focused more on the engineering side; I do handle a fair bit of IT-ish stuff, but I'm entirely self-taught when it comes to that side of the house.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:55 pm

Then do tell me PLEASE TELL me how these networking noobs withOUT a dime of education (no college, only HS) can have jobs that pay $130-150k (not military jobs) whereas I make 1/2 that salary! wtf! :evil:

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Do they live in Detroit?

Edit: $130-$150K? Sign me up too! (And I've got a much higher cost-of-living than you...)

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:57 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Do they live in Detroit?

Nope. Austin, TX. What is this person doing that over-accels what I am? Are there sacrifices I am not aware of to earning more loot?