Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

What should we do with photography threads?

Create a new "Photography" forum?
75 (82%)
All hardware goes in General Hardware, software in General Software, and picture threads in Back Porch
7 (8%)
Camera threads should go into Mobile Tech, software in software, pics in Back Porch
10 (11%)

Total votes: 92

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:39 am

So Damage, now that you have the t2600 review done, what do you think :wink:

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:24 pm

Any chance of this getting implemented to provide a suitable place for Alex's excellent assignment idea and general photography/imaging discussion? The general thread just seems to have gotten too unwieldy these days, especiallly if we try to do something of this nature.

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:27 pm

I wouldn't mind an AV forum, but I don't like the idea of a dedicated photography forum.
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:37 pm

king_kilr wrote:
I wouldn't mind an AV forum, but I don't like the idea of a dedicated photography forum.
Well, whatever is narrow enough to be appropriate while being wide enough to not be a ghost town is fine by me.

tesmar
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:02 am

A separate photography forum would be perfect. Would it also be possible to offer some TR webspace in order to upload pics? Of course there are other options, but this might be a way to raise some extra dough?
The world is indeed full of peril. But there is much that is fair. And though in all lands love is mingled with grief, it grows the greater. J. R. R. Tolkien

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

I suspect that there are enough good, free photo hosting sites that such a service would sit unused while providing implementation and security bugaboos. Flickr is relatively nice and seems to be the trendy choice these days.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:27 am

Well, normally I'd suggest (or agree with) an A/V forum. But given that there's an existing Echo Vale, and it already does a good job, perhaps the new forum should be sort of its visual counterpart -- a Photo/Video forum. So you'd have photography stuff, but also HDTV, video cameras, outboard tuners, STBs, etc. (Video cards obviously still belong in the appropriate mfr forum).

Can't think of a witty title to parallel Echo Vale, however.

And I agree: there are plenty of free picture hosting sites; the only advantage TR might see is additional adviews, but it probably won't pay for all the necessary added storage. So folks can just use any of the free ones. On sites like Flickr that support tagging, you could even add a "TechReport" tag and create a shared pool (these can be public or private) -- some sites actually pull pictures from Flickr based on their tag -- see the *st blogs like Seattlest, etc

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:58 am

Do we really need *another* forum section? After all, this is not a photography site nor a camera review site.

I think it's bad enough that we have separate intel, amd, nvidia and ati forums.

Now that we have lost several of the more, ahem, vocal "proponents" of certain brands, I wouldn't mind seeing the hardware forums merged back into just "CPU" and "GPU" and try to have reasoned, enlightened discourse.

OK, I'm not smoking anything, but maybe I caught a whiff of something from the ventilation. :p
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:32 am

UberGerbil wrote:
perhaps the new forum should be sort of its visual counterpart -- a Photo/Video forum. So you'd have photography stuff, but also HDTV, video cameras, outboard tuners, STBs, etc.

That's a good idea.

Voldenuit wrote:
Do we really need *another* forum section?

Yes, we do have quite a few forums sections, however...

Voldenuit wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing the hardware forums merged back into just "CPU" and "GPU"

This has been in discussion for awhile. I'll try to speed it along.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

Corrado

Re: Photography topics

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:05 am

I'm thinking rather than 'Photography' you could call it the 'Digital Imaging' forum. That way all software, hardware, scanners, cameras, related to anything digital imaging could go into a single place.

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Previous post was in 2007.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Corrado

Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:01 pm

morphine wrote:

Wth? This showed up in my latest topics list.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Corrado wrote:
morphine wrote:

Wth? This showed up in my latest topics list.

It was revived by a post that has since been culled (seemed spammy, but had no link etc. in it at the time)