Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Favorite Fruit, Worst Rotting Fruit... Your Opinion!

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:13 am

Im that bored yes....

Favorite Fruit: Watermelon

Worst Rotting: Oranges (Such a musty smell)
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:17 am

Favorite: strawberry (with watermelon a close 2nd)
Worst rotting fruit: any rotting fruit...

Apples are good too, especially baked apples. ;)
Twitter: @xmunos

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:35 am

I'll pick Apples as my favorite, since I've been eating them a lot lately, and they're very good in pie, strudel, and other various forms.

Worst rotting? When fruit rots at my house, a black haze of flies gather above the dining room table, but it doesn't really smell.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:51 am

Ranier cherries for raw eating pleasure (but only rarely because they're so bloomin' expensive most of the season), apples for a pie.

Worst: almost any rotting fruit begins to smell really objectionable after a couple days (albeit nothing on earth short of a rotting egg can compare to the smell of rice gone bad...)
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:59 am

Favorite Fruit: Durian (King of the Fruits) then Custard Apple or Mango.
Worst Rotting: No stand outs.
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:59 am

Rice??? I have never heard of rice "Going bad" per say...

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:03 am

Welch wrote:

It can, but that's not even the worst smell. The worst smell is rotting animal carcass, swimming in a stew of liquified meat and fruit & veggie waste, being eaten by maggots.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:11 am

Meh, the stench of rotting fruit pales next to coming back from a five day trip to find out your monitor lizard threw up two rats from it's last meal; that happened to me some years ago and god I almost threw up.

Best fruit? A good pear. No competetion.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Best/Worst Fruits

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:47 am

Actually I got into a debate with a friend over which fruit is the best a while back. Before we could even begin to agree on which fruit was best, we had to find a good "all-around" fruit to base the pros/cons against. We decided that the apple is the most balanced in "features:" How portable is it? Can you dig right in or do you need a tool? How many flavor variations are there? What's the shelf life? How consistent is the texture/flavor from one sample to the next? Does it have any inedible parts? Cost per unit/pound? All these features were considered for the debate.

From thereon, we would arbitrate how many apples you would trade for just one fruit. If a fruit wasn't that desirable, then I would trade only 1 apple for it, or in some cases less than 1 apple. From that point, I could narrow things down much more quantitatively.

The Runner Ups were: Kiwi( 2 apples), Tangelo (3.5 apples), and Mango(4 apples).

While scoring low for odor and inaccessibility (1.5 apples), an Honorable Mention goes to the aforementioned Durian for having the unique feature of doubling as a weapon.

We eventually agreed on a winner at a whopping 5.5 apples to trade for just one: Canned Peaches.

Sure, it was a controversial decision, but the judges all had to agree that the pros outweigh the cons. The texture/flavor practically never deviates. The shelf life is nearly forever. They have a low cost. You can purchase them in either light or heavy syrup. They're delicious, and unlike their counterpart found in nature, they don't have that bothersome inedible pit. The only drawback is the need for a tool, a small setback for such a great treat.

The losers of the bunch were Tomato, a single blueberry, papaya, and the worst was the Coconut--if still in it's husk. I wouldn't give a single apple for that paperweight.

:)

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Best/Worst Fruits

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am

ssidbroadcast wrote:
We eventually agreed on a winner at a whopping 5.5 apples to trade for just one: Canned Peaches

Should it count if its covered in a sugar syrup with added flavour enhancers, etc? I was assuming fresh fruit, canned goods, chocolate covered strawberries, etc don't really fit.
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711

Severus
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:40 am

Mangos, kiwis, melon, raspberrys, strawberrys, pineapples, oranges, pears, more or less in that order, are my favourites. The only fruit I don't like are bananas and I'm indifferent toward apples.

What an odd poll :lol:
"We are such stuff as dreams are made on, rounded with a little sleep"

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:50 am

Best/favorite: strawberries pwn life.

Worst rotting: bananas. Maybe not so much any smell as the appearance. I just shudder when I see (much less pick up) a rotten banana. I did let some go bad at work one time, and when I picked them up to trash them they were nearly liquefied. Got all over my khakis, and yes it smelled awful.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:52 am

Fun Fact: I am allergic to most fresh fruits and veggies. I wash them and all so I don't think it's pesticides. I get a very itchy throat and swell up just a tad. Bing cherries are deadly to me.

Favorite fruit (and one I happen to have no reaction too) Blueberries! Least favorites fruit: I had a mango the other day, maybe it wasn't ripe, tasted like a carrot.... I like carrots but not like that.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:52 am

Pagey wrote:

Worst rotting: bananas. Maybe not so much any smell as the appearance. I just shudder when I see (much less pick up) a rotten banana. I did let some go bad at work one time, and when I picked them up to trash them they were nearly liquefied. Got all over my khakis, and yes it smelled awful.

Put them in the freezer, make banana pudding or something with them :D

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:55 am

pete_roth wrote:
Pagey wrote:

Put them in the freezer, make banana pudding or something with them :D

Actually, my wife freezes bananas quite often. However, I am not a big fan of desserts, so I only like plain ole bananas - no banana based desserts. :-? The kids, on the other hand, will eat anything that they perceive to involve sugar/dessert.

zaedion
Gerbil

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:18 am

FireGryphon wrote:
The worst smell is rotting animal carcass, swimming in a stew of liquified meat and fruit & veggie waste, being eaten by maggots.

That's about the correct description of how those "Durian" mentioned by dragmor smell like when it's ripe, and it's not even rotten yet!! If you can stand the smell and get used to its taste, I suppose they are not too bad heheh.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:29 am

Favorite: Oranges

Worst fruit, rotten or otherwise: Watermelon. Nasty nasty stuff
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Fly Boy
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:55 am

Favorite fruit is Mango... but it has to be eaten and from Central America. When I was living there we got mangos all the time. They were really quite tasteful.

Worst fruit only because I had such a bad childhood experience with is a durian. I've heard they taste amazing but since my dad ate one in the car on the way to Texas from Georgia... the smell almost killed me. That was about 2 days worth of torture.

Severus wrote:
What an odd poll :lol:

I'm just as bored as him... maybe even more. I would have been the one to make a poll like this one if he hadn't
| AMD64 3000+ Venice | eVGA 133-K8-NF41 | eVga Nvidia 7800GT | 80 gig Seagate SATA drive | 1gig (512x2) Corsair ValueSelect | ENERMAX EG425P-VE | Sony Dru-720A |

fishmahn
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:42 am

Favorite: So hard to say. Banana I guess, but Grapefruit (and Pommello sp?) comes in a very close second. Along with Peaches and apples and oranges and grapes and... (I'm a fruit nut)

Worst: I'll have to say the peach that I 'lost' on top of the refrigerator last year. The black goop from it dissolving is still there. :gag: But rotten watermelon comes close.

Mike.
Someone on some other forum wrote:
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:53 am

Favorite Fruit: Anything that is just right in terms of being ripe.

Most disgusting fruit when rotting: Peaches, they look and taste very nasty when they past their prime.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:22 am

ssidbroadcast wrote:
Actually I got into a debate with a friend over which fruit is the best a while back. Before we could even begin to agree on which fruit was best, we had to find a good "all-around" fruit to base the pros/cons against. We decided that the apple is the most balanced in "features:" How portable is it? Can you dig right in or do you need a tool? How many flavor variations are there? What's the shelf life? How consistent is the texture/flavor from one sample to the next? Does it have any inedible parts? Cost per unit/pound? All these features were considered for the debate.

From thereon, we would arbitrate how many apples you would trade for just one fruit. If a fruit wasn't that desirable, then I would trade only 1 apple for it, or in some cases less than 1 apple. From that point, I could narrow things down much more quantitatively.

The Runner Ups were: Kiwi( 2 apples), Tangelo (3.5 apples), and Mango(4 apples).

While scoring low for odor and inaccessibility (1.5 apples), an Honorable Mention goes to the aforementioned Durian for having the unique feature of doubling as a weapon.

We eventually agreed on a winner at a whopping 5.5 apples to trade for just one: Canned Peaches.

Sure, it was a controversial decision, but the judges all had to agree that the pros outweigh the cons. The texture/flavor practically never deviates. The shelf life is nearly forever. They have a low cost. You can purchase them in either light or heavy syrup. They're delicious, and unlike their counterpart found in nature, they don't have that bothersome inedible pit. The only drawback is the need for a tool, a small setback for such a great treat.

The losers of the bunch were Tomato, a single blueberry, papaya, and the worst was the Coconut--if still in it's husk. I wouldn't give a single apple for that paperweight.

While I respect your attempt to quantitatively decide which fruit is the best (and I'd like to know your method in more detail), I am shocked and horrified at the outcome of your experiment. Canned anything should not have been in the poll, since we can artificially make anything taste great. I agree that canned peaches are better than, say, canned pears (canned pears are sometimes hard, but peaches don't suffer from this problem), but choosing canned peaches as your favorite fruit is woefully inadequate given the large differences between fresh food and canned food. I think it is obvious that the two occupy vastly different categories.

For argument's sake, I'll concede that canned peaches are the best kind of canned fruit, and up until now, canned lychee nuts are by far the worst (fresh, though, lychees are excellent).

Please allay my severe disappointment in your result by using your quantitative method to select a fresh fruit as the winner, and explain your method in more detail along the way.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:30 am

Although I did not specify whether my intent was targeted towards a users liking of a FRESH or CANNED fruit... I'm interested to hear another long quantitative explanation and a good Apples rating of your favorite fresh fruit :P.

But for the record, canned peaches are by far the best type of canned fruit like Gryphon agreed. Your decision is acceptable.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:19 pm

First, it has to be cooked. Dry, uncooked rice has an extremely long shelf life; cooked rice does not.

Second, it has to be stored correctly. Store it in an open container, and it will simply dry out, and you will throw it out regardless; store it in a sealed container, and it will stay moist for a nice meal of leftovers. Unfortunately, if you forget that carton in the back of the fridge for a couple weeks, rotting fruit will not even compare. If you mingled whole milk, a piece of uncooked whitefish, a chicken wrapper, and a baby's diaper into a carton and then set it in the sun for a couple days, it might come close.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:28 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:

a single blueberry hahahahaahah.

and i agree about the coconut, i dont think we were ment to eat a fruit if we have to take an axe to it to get at it.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

The Method

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:01 pm

By request, I will clarify further the apple rating system by bringing up a few examples. With this method, you too can quantify any fruit you come across subjectively but with the air of objectivity.

First off, where the apple stands, and all of the eight different features a fruit is rated by:

Overall flavor. How's the fruit taste? Apples vary a bit from color and breed, and some are certainly better than others, but overall I'd say that most apples taste "okay." The lemon, lime, or tomato rate poorly in terms of flavor.

Accessibility. This is a combination of how portable it is, and the "can-I-dig-right-in" factor. An apple shines in this attribute, weighing no more than 1-2 lbs. and being almost a perfect sphere, and you can sink your teeth right into an apple without worry of natural defenses. Peaches, Nectarines, Plums, etc all rate high here, whereas fruits like Pineapples, the Durian, Watermelon, Cantelope, etc all score poorly. You do not want to try to stick a Durian in your book bag, lemme tell ya.

Size per unit. People often overlook this. An apple rates well in this aspect as well. It's not so small that it doesn't put a dent in my appetite, but it's not so big that I wouldn't be able to eat two in one sitting unless I was really hungry. People often say "Oh man, strawberries are the best." This rating system is interested in rating the best single fruit. Plurality is a disqualification. And yes, while a single strawberry tastes great, it won't provide an appreciable amount of sustenance. Blueberry, Huckleberry, Raspberry, Kumquat, a cherry tomato etc all rate very poorly here.

Consistency. Some fruits very a lot from sample to sample. Fruits that are uniform in shape, deliver an expected flavor range, and keep their texture rate high here. An apple is an "okay" example, but sometimes they are soft and sometimes quite crisp. Cantelope, Grapefruit, and Nectarine do a bit better. Fruits like the Strawberry, Orange, or Pear do poorly.

Shelf Life. How long will this fruit last in a fruit bowl? Note that some fruits are typically stored in a refrigerator, and those fruits take a hit in this department because anything lasts longer in a chilled environment, so it would be unfair to give those fruits a handicap. The apple does pretty good here as well, being surpassed only by the lemon, lime, and the larger melons. Bananas by far were the worst in this category.

Inedible parts. Some fruits become garbage after being consumed, while others are simply ate whole and are done with. It's a bit inconvenient to try to find a garbage can if you're on the couch, so fruits should be measured by this rating. Apples have a core with seeds that are even egregious enough to contain [url-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple#Apple_facts]deadly poison[/url]. However, this core is relatively small and while still a nuisance, not nearly as bothersome as the Mango pit, Peach pit, or black seeds in a watermelon.

Variations. Let's face it, options are nice. Some fruit come in only one kind really: Cantelope, Honeydew, and Pineapple to name a few. The variations of the apple are great, here. There was some debate as to whether if Satsuma counted as a variation of the orange or was it's own distinct fruit. It was eventually agreed that the Orange had almost as many variations as the apple.

Cost per pound/unit. While just about all fruits can be had for a relatively little amount of money, it's nice to be able to just fork a buck or two. Watermelon perhaps is the best per pound cost, but it has a relatively high up front cost. Apples seem to be always decently priced, except for the Honeycrisp variety. Oranges are good as well, but Satsumas have a high up front cost since they almost always come in boxes.

So now you understand why Canned Peaches took the gold metal. They're unrivaled in flavor, consistency, shelf life, and size per unit. I've seen them on sale at the grocery store for as little as 79¢!! Sure, they have an inedible part and low accessibility, but overall these are outweighed by the previously mentioned strong suits.

However, in the interest of sticking to natural fruits, there is only ONE fruit that seems to do well in all of these categories: Grapes. Grapes actually tied Mango at 4 apples, but wasn't mentioned due to complications in the Size category. A grape isn't a berry, but should just one grape be judged, or the whole bush? Grapes also have a unique advantage in the Consistency category. If one grape is bad, you can just pluck another at your whim. Each grape is a new chance. While one grape is puny, an entire bush of grapes is plenty. Or, I could just rip off one branch, thus customizing how much Grape I want. They seem to last only a little less than an apple. Overall, I'd say grapes are great.

If judging by the entire bush, I'd trade 5 apples for a bush of grapes, making them winner by technicality.

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:45 pm

Welch wrote:
But for the record, canned peaches are by far the best type of canned fruit like Gryphon agreed. Your decision is acceptable.

No way, canned lychees, longan or plumbs all beat peaches.

gerbilspy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:07 pm

My favorite is a tree-ripened peach grown in the orchards near Cobden, in southern Illinois. They are soooo delicious. Nothing like them! Cobden of course has a peach festival every harvest to celebrate! Great small town fun. Too bad the orchards were decimated this year by a late spring 2 day deep freeze. :( Hopefully next year will be OK.
Not retired anymore

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Favorite Fruit, Worst Rotting Fruit... Your Opinion!

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:54 pm

I just read this thread again for old time's sake. Still good! :D
2014 21" iMac w Intel Iris Pro

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:31 pm

You necro :P

Srsly tho.
GRAPES. Not only are they awesome as fruit, but when they rot we get wine.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:51 am

wow what a necro.....

But seriously Durian. Its all things revolting but the taste is absolutely wonderful.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!