Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

brainychimp
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:48 pm

anyone know why windows xp pro is detecting my 3 ide devices as scsi? I haven't actually noticed any performance difference, so I doubt there's any kind of problem. Just curious. Especially since xp detects the promise ide controller on my a7v133 just fine.

here's a ss of <a href="http://www.liquify.org/concept_1/devmanager.gif">device manager</a>

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:54 pm

The NT family treats all disk devices as SCSI devices. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
You are false data.

murray
Gerbil XP

Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:17 pm

Hrm. It isn't enumerating my drives as SCSI devices. I don't have any problems with them, but I'm kind of curious as to why it would label them as such on one system and not on another.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:19 pm

Notice that the Promise controller shows up under "SCSI and RAID controllers". Speed is partially correct. NT bases OSs (NT, 2k, XP) will treat any RAID controller as a SCSI device, hence any drive connected to said controller will show as a SCSI drive. However, disks connected to the chipset IDE controllers will still show as an IDE drive device.

I assume you have all your drives connected to the Promise card.

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:23 pm

One other thing that I can think of is that some IDE RAID cards actually use SCSI chips as their interface to the computer. They do IDE <--> SCSI bridging on the card. So if drives normally don't say "SCSI", they would using that kind of RAID controller.
You are false data.