Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Come join the... uh... er... fold.

Moderators: just brew it!, farmpuma

Postposted on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:00 pm

Dr. Evil: Still slowly catching you, though you keep pushing me behind.

Something has happened to just brew it!'s output, by the way. Hopefully he's on vacation or something.

notfred: I ran that apt-get you mentioned above, but... what's the executable name, and where is it? I can't find whatever it is that was installed, though a "find / -name tftp -print" showed me some header files. :-?
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Postposted on Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:21 pm

To search, you want to do 'apt-cache search tftp' in this case.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 21294
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Postposted on Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:02 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote: I ran that apt-get you mentioned above, but... what's the executable name, and where is it? I can't find whatever it is that was installed, though a "find / -name tftp -print" showed me some header files. :-?

If you want to find what a package just installed, then
Code: Select all
cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/<blah>.list

I don't think you will care about the executable name, you want it to be started at boot, so edit /etc/default/tftpd-hpa and change RUN_DAEMON="no" to .RUN_DAEMON="yes" (with whatever editor you like, but you need to do it as sudo), and then you can
Code: Select all
sudo /etc/init.d/tftpd-hpa start
You just need to put your files in /var/lib/tftpboot/ and it should all work.[/code]
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3736
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Postposted on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:02 pm

notfred wrote:If you want to find what a package just installed, then
Code: Select all
cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/<blah>.list

I don't think you will care about the executable name, you want it to be started at boot, so edit /etc/default/tftpd-hpa and change RUN_DAEMON="no" to .RUN_DAEMON="yes" (with whatever editor you like, but you need to do it as sudo), and then you can
Code: Select all
sudo /etc/init.d/tftpd-hpa start
You just need to put your files in /var/lib/tftpboot/ and it should all work.


That /var/lib/dpkg/info thing did it. Thanks. Every time I learn something new, something else has to leave my brain. :D Really, it just doesn't seem to stick in there very well unless I really need it. And the truth about the tftp thing is, I don't really have much use for it. If I was running your CD, maybe.
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Postposted on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:11 pm

Dr. Evil: Lend me some of the spinach you're feeding your machines today. :o
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Postposted on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:57 am

Ragnar Dan wrote:Dr. Evil: Lend me some of the spinach you're feeding your machines today. :o


Dan, I like you lots, but I have a confession. Andy has been a friend since high school, and I just happened to have a pre-production test box with dual Xeon 5160s laying around... and a Radeon X1900 XT. Andy offered them a good home with lots of electricity and network connectivity, so.....

He says the Xeons alone are turning in 1167 points every 24 hours. I'm bugging him to add the X1900 XT to the mix.

Hey, it's for a good cause, right? :lol:
Scott Wasson - "Damage"
Editor - The Tech Report
Damage
TR Staff
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Lee's Summit, Missouri, USA

Postposted on Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:10 pm

Damage wrote:He says the Xeons alone are turning in 1167 points every 24 hours.


Actually, I said the Xeons alone are turning in 1167 points every TEN hours. It's a little crazy watching the SMP client tick off percentage points every six minutes, but I'm coping. :wink:
Dr. Evil
TR Staff
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Lee's Summit, MO

Postposted on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:43 pm

Dr. Evil wrote:
Damage wrote:He says the Xeons alone are turning in 1167 points every 24 hours.


Actually, I said the Xeons alone are turning in 1167 points every TEN hours. It's a little crazy watching the SMP client tick off percentage points every six minutes, but I'm coping. :wink:


That's one problem I'd like to have to be able to cope with myself.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!
flybywire
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:28 pm
Location: Springfield, VA - USA

Postposted on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:49 pm

That is so not fair :D
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 21294
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Postposted on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:40 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:That is so not fair :D


Whats not fair? Dr E's and Wire's OCD? I'm sure they'll let you join the club if u pass the secret initiation rite.
Image
BenWang
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:21 pm

Postposted on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:30 pm

BenWang wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:That is so not fair :D


Whats not fair? Dr E's and Wire's OCD? I'm sure they'll let you join the club if u pass the secret initiation rite.

That damage lets people borrow such purdy hardware :wink:
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 21294
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Postposted on Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:40 am

Xeon, eh? What's it clocked at? I'm assuming you're talking about the quad core solution.
Image
Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3280
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:51 am
Location: Minnesota

Postposted on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:28 pm

Damage wrote:Dan, I like you lots, but I have a confession. Andy has been a friend since high school, and I just happened to have a pre-production test box with dual Xeon 5160s laying around... and a Radeon X1900 XT. Andy offered them a good home with lots of electricity and network connectivity, so.....

He says the Xeons alone are turning in 1167 points every 24 hours. I'm bugging him to add the X1900 XT to the mix.

Hey, it's for a good cause, right? :lol:

Hmph. I think I'll quit warning him when I get close to catching him, if that ever happens again which isn't looking likely right now, especially with Stanford seemingly punishing me by not giving me any new SMP WU's. It's been > 14 hours now and nothing. (Edit: Fixed it by disabling -advmethods).

Nitrodist: 2 dual-core Xeons, each at 3.0 GHz stock. The WU's he's getting look to be ones I've never received, which may be because they'd take forever on my machine, though that assumes more intelligent behavior on Stanford's part than I've ever seen.

2nd edit: For all the good cause, our team's PPD has been dropping lately, and it looks bad right now. Hopefully that's because it's a weekend, but maybe some are having the same problems I had getting a new WU. If so, one would think all teams would be affected, but our chasers are catching us faster, and our prey are not falling back as much as we are. :x
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:49 pm

Dr. Evil: I'm catching you at a fairly quick pace, lately. Almost all on account of my Gigabyte 8800GT giving me ~5000 PPD. Cheap folding power, at least for the present. And they run on slower old machines.

I've even passed just brew it!, which I didn't expect to happen for a long time, if ever.
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:38 am

Gah, i just did a post, then lost connection to the fora. oh well.

Anyway. I havent done any folding/rd5/seti in a while, and when i last did, i had the run of a small IT-department to give me cycles. But I've been thinking abit about it. So, im wondering how much a single comp or perhaps two can do. And how much would that contribute to the whole for the team. Although right now i only have a single comp thats on 24/7, and thats my Core 2 E6550 file/web/mail-server. The workstation is only on when im at home right now. The problem i have at home is related to heat management and power in my flat though. Which is why i dont run them all day round. Bit expensive, and the room gets too darn hot.

But how much could a fully featured Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 running at 3GHz or perhaps 3.2GHz to together with a ATI 4870(if it can take folding) actually produce. I do need something to perform stresstesting with when i try out the above overclock so to speak :wink:
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Solna/Sweden

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:06 pm

This is probably not the best thread to ask your questions in, but I'll try as best I can to answer anyway.

Right now Team 2630 is producing slightly above 500000 points per day. If you ran a Q9450 at 3200 MHz as a dedicated folding machine with no GPU help you could produce over 4000 Points Per Day before the recent updated folding cores were released. Now, easily in excess of 5000 PPD, probably in the range of 5500-6000 PPD. That would mean your machine alone would be more than 1 per cent of our current output. Of course, this would be running 2 SMP clients with each getting 2 cores.

As for the 4870 GPU, I think they produce over 1000 PPD, but I forget the numbers people in this forum have reported. You can search on 4870 if you want. Over at the folding forum there's a chart that makes claims of around 2000 PPD, but i'm somewhat suspicious of it because of the numbers on the nVidia chart in the same forum (different subforum).

The only way to use the GPU client is in Windows. The best way to do that presently appears to be under Vista, because it seems to use a lot less CPU time than Windows XP does. Pegasus has been running a Q9450 and an nVidia GPU, and I think he's using VMWare to run the Linux SMP client on cores 0 and 1, and then another Linux SMP client on cores 1 and 2, leaving core 3 free for the GPU. Or something like that...

Your other Intel box with the E6550 in it, you could probably fold on it and lose little responsiveness, but it would produce more heat and draw more electricity. It's up to you. You can always test it and see how you like it. If you're running Linux it is much more reliable than what people report about Windows SMP clients.

You could run the standard console client on your workstation. They have long enough deadlines (31 days for the ones I'm currently folding, for example) that they'd still be useful, if not a huge difference. But many small contributions can make a difference. Every bit helps. :)
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:19 pm

Thank you. Thats a really good write up really. I run Vista x64 on the workstation and Win 2003 x64 with a few VM's on top on the server. So that should work decently if start. If i put everything i have on folding i could probably manage 10'000 PPD a day or something, which is a decent amount really it seems. Oh well, i might try it for a while. Especially in winter when it starts getting cold anyway. :wink:

Thanks again for the write up.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Solna/Sweden

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:48 pm

If you've tried getting it running yet, what username are you folding under?
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:44 am

Havent had the time yet, I quaked under the pressure from a friend and managed to get hooked on Battlefield 2 instead. Had to have something that at least tried to use my 4870... :P

I hope to have time trying the overclocking and getting around to doing the serious stuff this weekend. But if its available it would be the same as my nick, which doesnt seem to be taken yet from what i can find.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Solna/Sweden

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:37 pm

I think that as long as the team number you join doesn't have that name then you can use it, though it's been so long since I started this stuff that I'm not certain about it. I have the vague memory, though, that I've looked up names on Stanford's stats page and that some of them reported a list of team names/numbers and figures in separate boxes.

(I just checked it, since it's easy enough to do, and yeah, it does that.)
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:12 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:Dr. Evil: I'm catching you at a fairly quick pace, lately. Almost all on account of my Gigabyte 8800GT giving me ~5000 PPD. Cheap folding power, at least for the present. And they run on slower old machines.

I'm still catching you, though more slowly since my fastests SMP client is much slower though currently running again, and the other 2 are folding WU's that take lengthy periods to complete and deliver few points for the effort. Even so, it should be 5 days or so before I pass you. And that would be a darned shame, especially since you at least used to have all of that potential folding power available.
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:00 pm

I passed the formerly Evil sawbones 2-3 days ago, and not a peep from the zombie. Normally they moan or something. Though, admittedly, they also try to eat your brains. A couple of nVidia-GPU'ed video cards and and it would have been a contest. Heck, even an ATI would have helped.

Sure, the electricity isn't cheap, but it's not that bad.

I've been losing steam lately, too, but it was mostly temporary. Still, it's a shame when someone with Damage's help can't fend off a minor irritant like me. :P
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:I passed the formerly Evil sawbones 2-3 days ago, and not a peep from the zombie. Normally they moan or something. Though, admittedly, they also try to eat your brains. A couple of nVidia-GPU'ed video cards and and it would have been a contest. Heck, even an ATI would have helped.

Sure, the electricity isn't cheap, but it's not that bad.

I've been losing steam lately, too, but it was mostly temporary. Still, it's a shame when someone with Damage's help can't fend off a minor irritant like me. :P


Yeah, it's a real let-down when your competition gives up. *cough* Leor *cough*
Image
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.
Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3292
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:57 pm
Location: The Smoky Back Room

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:11 am

david00214 wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:I passed the formerly Evil sawbones 2-3 days ago, and not a peep from the zombie. Normally they moan or something. Though, admittedly, they also try to eat your brains. A couple of nVidia-GPU'ed video cards and and it would have been a contest. Heck, even an ATI would have helped.

Sure, the electricity isn't cheap, but it's not that bad.

I've been losing steam lately, too, but it was mostly temporary. Still, it's a shame when someone with Damage's help can't fend off a minor irritant like me. :P


Yeah, it's a real let-down when your competition gives up. *cough* Leor *cough*


I think it is just a setup from Leor. :roll: He is going to "pretend" he doesn't care and that his ego isn't fragile and that he can tolerate being thumped by a band of furry rodents even though he detests the idea of a "subteam". He is going to pull some points out of his butt when we get close and post some pictures of his new "Whiz-Bang, Whamodyne" folding farm. :o Yeah, that's what he's gonna do. :roll: :lol: :lol:
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
Image
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!
jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3181
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:38 pm
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:17 am

Once the cooler weather sets in, I'll be running dualcore smp, + gpu + work machine, and possibly a ps3.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 11913
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 5:55 am
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:24 am

jeffry55 wrote:
david00214 wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:I passed the formerly Evil sawbones 2-3 days ago, and not a peep from the zombie. Normally they moan or something. Though, admittedly, they also try to eat your brains. A couple of nVidia-GPU'ed video cards and and it would have been a contest. Heck, even an ATI would have helped.

Sure, the electricity isn't cheap, but it's not that bad.

I've been losing steam lately, too, but it was mostly temporary. Still, it's a shame when someone with Damage's help can't fend off a minor irritant like me. :P


Yeah, it's a real let-down when your competition gives up. *cough* Leor *cough*


I think it is just a setup from Leor. :roll: He is going to "pretend" he doesn't care and that his ego isn't fragile and that he can tolerate being thumped by a band of furry rodents even though he detests the idea of a "subteam". He is going to pull some points out of his butt when we get close and post some pictures of his new "Whiz-Bang, Whamodyne" folding farm. :o Yeah, that's what he's gonna do. :roll: :lol: :lol:


I think Leor doesn't have that much fire power with him, he might be able to produce 50K ppd, but that will still not help him from stopping the mighty power of UGN. Currently we are even out producing the undisputed folding champion of TR, Segfault7...
Intel i5 4670K @ 4.0GHZ|ATI Radeon HD 7970| 12 GB RAM| Xtreme Music with G500 5.1 | Panasonic "TH-L42E60".
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4599
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:00 pm

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:13 pm

pete_roth wrote:Once the cooler weather sets in, I'll be running dualcore smp, + gpu + work machine, and possibly a ps3.


I hope Fall comes early to Pittsburg! :P
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
Image
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!
jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3181
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:38 pm
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Re: Dr. Evil, I'm coming for you

Postposted on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:09 pm

david00214 wrote:Yeah, it's a real let-down when your competition gives up. *cough* Leor *cough*

Especially when he could have put up a fight.

I'm also waiting for Aphasia to return and show us something.
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Previous

Return to TR Distributed Computing Effort

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests