Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Cyril
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:01 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
Another one:

In the archives page, when viewing page 1 (as opposed to page 0) or greater.

Should be fixed now.

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:02 pm

king_kilr wrote:
EDIT: In other words(I think), just give add the line:

#archivenav:{width: 485px;}

and you should be good, I think!

Confirmed working now in Opera. 8)
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:06 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
king_kilr wrote:

TR stole my css, sweet 8)
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

Cyril
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:07 pm

king_kilr wrote:
SuperSpy wrote:
king_kilr wrote:

TR stole my css, sweet 8)

Actually, I saw your post after fixing that. Code's still pretty much the same, but you were off by a few pixels (have to account for padding.) ;)

SuperSpy

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:08 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
The 'related articles' sidebar shows the current artice in it's list as well (I.E. the article is related to itself).

Also, the shortbread pages' related articles sidebar just shows a bunch of 'shortbread' posts, with no description of any kind.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:18 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
SuperSpy wrote:
The 'related articles' sidebar shows the current artice in it's list as well (I.E. the article is related to itself).

Also, the shortbread pages' related articles sidebar just shows a bunch of 'shortbread' posts, with no description of any kind.

++ Related Articles

As for the Shortbread, I think that's more to do with the title of the post. Maybe the staff should consider a new format for the Shortbread. Maybe "Shortbread for MM/DD"?

There's still the issue, well not so much an issue as a nitpick I guess, of when you click "More Stories..." of it taking you to a seemingly random date. (I know it isn't random, but at first glance it seems like it.) On other sites, when you click to go to the archive it shows you the current date first and allows you to select an older date via the calender object. If that were to change it should appease those of us who want to see a synopsis of the news articles. Is this intentional behavior or something else?
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

SuperSpy

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:33 pm

Another visual hiccup, the 'last post by' line on the bottom of the articles is a different color on the last page (I'm assuming it shares the color with the 'next page' text).

Also, in the beige color scheme, the next page text is placed on top of the arrow picture.

EDIT: I found the missing arrow in Opera (in IE it is just drawn over).

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:02 pm

Damage wrote:
The great thing is, Steve wrote all of the new tools, so we can add features much, MUCH more easily than before. We have a whole roadmap now. Like Intel or AMD, but with shorter product cycles. ;)
LOL, that is so cool. Do you have code names?

Cyril
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:03 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
Another visual hiccup, the 'last post by' line on the bottom of the articles is a different color on the last page (I'm assuming it shares the color with the 'next page' text).

Fixed. That was embarrassing, I was closing a span with an /a tag in the navigation area.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:05 pm

Cyril wrote:
SuperSpy wrote:

Fixed. That was embarrassing, I was closing a span with an /a tag in the navigation area.

It's ok. We still love you :D

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:48 pm

By the way, whats with the .x file extensions?

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:01 pm

king_kilr wrote:

Nothing much. It's just PHP, really.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:08 pm

Oh, wow, man. I agree that good'ol TR could use a refresh.

I don't like color scheme too much, though, perhaps a little too beige. I was thinking something more refined, like a lighter blue/blue-gray, or even Office 2K7 looks, maybe. Maybe.

I also think that you should run featured articles straight down the middle, not on the left. Put the news there. Put the forums there. Something! But, perhaps it is a design choice, you know, keep the articles away from the blinking ads.

I hate static sites with a passion. I love the little caption pictures, and would draw the eye a little better if you killed the static and went liquid. Or, if you really want to stay static, then at least having the articles be somewhat wider would be nice.

Other than that, I like it!
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

Shinare
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:15 pm

I really hate to nit-pick, and I realize that you are basically asking for debugging help only here, but if I could make one small suggestion, backed up by reason, it would be this. Perhaps the default color scheme should be the toggle of the current A/A button (the blueish one) rather than the beige? And I say that because of branding. I think I would consider your somewhat unusual colorscheme you have had for the past 4 years I have been reading your site to be a sort of distinguishing characteristic. Something like your logo only as a whole "feel" for the "specialness" (is that a word?) of your site.

I think you have a unique look with the colorscheme, good or bad, that stands out against all the other hardware review portals out there, and I would hate to see that go away. A new user should be presented with this "specialness" and then, if he can't stomach it, be given the option to change to the beige color. :)

BTW, I'm not sure if this is by design, but the flipping box does not change every time the refresh button is pressed, seems like it just happens at a random number of refreshes. Firefox 2.0.0.6 XP

Edit: Changed Vista x64 to XP (forgot I was on my XP box :blush:)

Plinth
Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:14 pm

I agree with Shinare's point about your blue colour scheme being part of your branding. It's what makes TR TR.

I noticed that on this page the time machine calendar is still beige in the blue colour scheme. Is this just me or is it intentional?

sroylance
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:26 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
I won't post a screen shot to this one.

http://trweb2.techreport.com/discussions.x/13073

I assume this shouldn't be so.

thanks. there are a few code paths that find related items. That particular one was missing the restriction not to include the item that related items were requested for. nice catch, thanks.

EDIT: Also, I figure I'll throw this one in as well: When you do a search for nothing (I.E. just hitting the button without typing anything in), using the main nav bar's google thingie, you get a totally empty page, instead of some sort of 'hey, you forgot to put in a search term' page.

Thanks for the report. I'll add that to the list.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:40 pm

Will the forums be going over to to the newer version of phpBB anytime soon?

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:41 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Also will there be new forum themes to match the site, and will it be one preference to adjust both?

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:54 pm

king_kilr wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

Also will there be new forum themes to match the site, and will it be one preference to adjust both?

For obvious reasons, we are avoiding other software upgrades while we work on transitioning to a new core site engine and layout. phpBB 3 is on the radar, and we kind of half-assed the forum template this time around because we expect to be upgrading to ver. 3 before too long. We'll work up some nicer themes for 3, possibly with integrated color switching and width options. And also free candy and popcorn!
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:08 pm

From what I have read the upgrade is very smooth, there is a script that migrates it all to a fresh install, and then all you have to do is get rid of the old one, not sure about addons or anything like that though.

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:11 pm

king_kilr wrote:
From what I have read the upgrade is very smooth, there is a script that migrates it all to a fresh install, and then all you have to do is get rid of the old one, not sure about addons or anything like that though.

That's nice. How is the jazz integration? Oh right! No one else does that. ;)

We've set a non-idiot condition for our staff, man. We just have to tackle our problems in the right order here. In due time...
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:27 pm

Damage wrote:
king_kilr wrote:

Nothing much. It's just PHP, really.

I'd actually love it if the files have a .tr extension. Kinda like Ars.

Did people fix the mouseover bug I posted?

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:32 pm

Something I just noticed on the Top News Stories list. There are 2 Shortbreads listed.

Is there a way to prevent that from happening, or will it just have to knocked off the list over time. You may end up with 2 Etc's also if it's a slower news week.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:41 pm

Hoser wrote:
Something I just noticed on the Top News Stories list. There are 2 Shortbreads listed.

Is there a way to prevent that from happening, or will it just have to knocked off the list over time. You may end up with 2 Etc's also if it's a slower news week.

They are two different ones though, I think they just need a date appended, there's no reason we can't have them, they just need to be identified.

PS: Does the jazz do anything besides user authentication with phpbb?

sroylance
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:45 pm

Hoser wrote:

Yea, that's just the result of the fact that during slow times, like weekends, shortbread is the only content that's added.

sroylance
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:49 pm

Damage wrote:
Guys:

I posted this on the new site in a comments thread, but it probably bears repeating here:

The feature box will rotate various interesting bits through. It's not written yet, but we'll apply some logic to show you the oldest thing you haven't yet seen in the rotation first, which will generally be our last big review. Then you'll get newer news stories of note after that. One way we'll keep the site fresh is working this box like mad.

This feature is working on a simple rotation basis now. Reload the front page a few times by clicking the TR logo and you'll see it in action.

I just finished writing this bit. It was just randomly picking an item out of the headline pool to put in the main spot. Now it's showing a rotation, starting from the oldest, up to the newest and then starting over.

It uses a cookie to determine where in the rotation you are, so it's somewhat dependent on the client. As with everything else on the new site, bug reports are welcome.

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:49 pm

We're going to add the day to the name, i.e. "Tuesday Shortbread". Highly technical fix.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

gibson
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:47 am

Unfortunately, I don't have much in terms of bug testing and the like. I know, I'm useless.

As a designer, there are lots of things that I can't stand about it. There are also things I like about it. But that's not really the point - I think it has room for improvement (as does the current one, although less so), but like you said Damage, it's past that point. So no big deal. :)

The one thing I kinda wanted to mentioned was this though - the thing I adore about TR is the news summaries. I go to http://www.techreport.com and I have a clean list of the news titles and a paragraph blurb about it. This new one just makes news a list of titles, and that's lame. For example, 'Tuesday Shortbread' with a number next to it is not at all interesting (especially to a new reader). But put 'Tuesday Shortbread' with a list and descriptions like there is now, and I'm hooked. There is a world of difference. But I digress. I dislike it, but it's ya'lls website and I like the content, so I'll keep reading.

Anyway, best of luck with it. I hope it works out! ;)
"Not the wind, not the flag; mind is moving."

Klopsik206
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:13 am

gibson wrote:
The one thing I kinda wanted to mentioned was this though - the thing I adore about TR is the news summaries. I go to http://www.techreport.com and I have a clean list of the news titles and a paragraph blurb about it. This new one just makes news a list of titles, and that's lame. For example, 'Tuesday Shortbread' with a number next to it is not at all interesting (especially to a new reader). But put 'Tuesday Shortbread' with a list and descriptions like there is now, and I'm hooked. There is a world of difference. But I digress. I dislike it, but it's ya'lls website and I like the content, so I'll keep reading.

I couldn't put it better...
Maybe a solution would be dedicated news page, which would be more similiar to current home, for us old schoolers?

Kevin
Administrator

Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:50 am

Klopsik206 wrote:
gibson wrote:
The one thing I kinda wanted to mentioned was this though - the thing I adore about TR is the news summaries.

Maybe a solution would be dedicated news page, which would be more similiar to current home, for us old schoolers?

This has been mentioned as on the list of things to do for several pages now.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.