Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:41 am

bitvector wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
It looks like the crappy fixed width is about 960 pixels.

Here is a greasemonkey script I hacked up to "fix" the forum layout back to the width I like...

...code...

A more precise one would replace the child with another copy of style.css that has the fixed width removed. :)

Edit: fixed include header

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:58 pm

A couple other comments:
1/ Is there any way to get the pictures that are used on the front-page feature-article thing to be part of the post. Particularly for the news/blog posts. For example, the hard drive acoustic one has a nifty picture of the sound meter, but said picture is nowhere to be found in the actual blog post.

2/ Could the "Top news stories" on the front-page be the link to the news.x page? That'd be really convenient.

sroylance
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:39 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
A couple other comments:
1/ Is there any way to get the pictures that are used on the front-page feature-article thing to be part of the post. Particularly for the news/blog posts. For example, the hard drive acoustic one has a nifty picture of the sound meter, but said picture is nowhere to be found in the actual blog post.

2/ Could the "Top news stories" on the front-page be the link to the news.x page? That'd be really convenient.

The CMS image handling code gives the author the flexibility to set any image as the lead image, even if it's not otherwise part of the item. This is by design. TR feature content was, up to now, pretty much completely free-form. The TR staff is used to complete control and flexibility and one of the design goals of the CMS was to preserve as much of that as possible.

2 is not my department

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:26 am

posted in the wrong place...deleted taht post and put it here:

I'm occasionally getting threads marked unread that i've already read with no new posts...no idea how the rhyme or reason works tho.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:34 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I'm occasionally getting threads marked unread that i've already read with no new posts...no idea how the rhyme or reason works tho.

I think that if someone edits a post the unread flag gets set again.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:03 pm

sometimes it's even *my* post doing that, and it's posts I know I haven't edited...onepossible reason I guess, though
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:05 pm

Another thing I've just noted. When Kevin moved the "banning tag" thread from the 'Porch to R&P (I should have done it earlier myself :oops: ), I'm still seeing a MOVED: threadlink on the 'Porch. I've cleared history & cookies as well as rebooting and the MOVED link is still there.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:07 pm

I've seen that several times, even before the new TR, so I figured it was intentional

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:10 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I've seen that several times, even before the new TR, so I figured it was intentional

Same, plus I don't think the new TR touched the forums, besides the ja.zz stuff.
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:13 pm

What are the odds of implementing a counter for the articles for the number of reads?

Also, can we have the front-page f@h ad link to the newly-created intro thread: viewtopic.php?t=52890

toxent
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:19 pm

Is the front page blue theme darker?
AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition w/Scythe Ninja HSF | ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 | GSkill 8GB(2x4GB) PC3-12800 | PowerColor Radeon 4850 512MB | Samsung Spinpont F1 1TB SATA

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:00 pm

toxent wrote:
Is the front page blue theme darker?

Yup. Read Scott's most recent blog post.

toxent
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:57 pm

Doh' I always forget about the blogs!
AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition w/Scythe Ninja HSF | ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 | GSkill 8GB(2x4GB) PC3-12800 | PowerColor Radeon 4850 512MB | Samsung Spinpont F1 1TB SATA

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:22 am

I just noticed that on the articles there is no author listed. At least when they are on the front page. Is this by design, or is it something missed?
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:05 am

I would like to request a link to news.x somewhere in the discussion (http://techreport.com/discussions.x/) pages, so when someone makes a post to the news comments, they don't have to back-back-back through the post page in order to get to the news page again, or hit the front page again only to click on it's news link.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:10 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
There are they on the "news.x" page and also when you click the featured article right at the top.

I know that. I just thought they would have the author's name on the front page teaser like they used to have on TR v 1.0.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:58 pm

Here's an interesting bug related to the change to the (amazingly-narrow) fixed-width format:
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/13157

Look at my message number 68 in the comments there. It includes a relatively-short URL linking to a forum thread. Depending on your choice of font size, the URL is longer than the tiny narrow window allotted for comment text. The margins for the text in that post are stretched to the width of the URL, but the margins for the skinny window are not changed, so a chunk of the text is invisible, like it ran off the right edge of the tiny ribbon of the comment "page".

You can see the same thing happening in Axeman's comment #93.

The text column available for my comment is a puny 430 pixels wide. I haven't owned a computer screen that narrow since 1990.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

sroylance
Gerbil First Class

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:09 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Here's an interesting bug related to the change to the (amazingly-narrow) fixed-width format:
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/13157

Look at my message number 68 in the comments there. It includes a relatively-short URL linking to a forum thread. Depending on your choice of font size, the URL is longer than the tiny narrow window allotted for comment text. The margins for the text in that post are stretched to the width of the URL, but the margins for the skinny window are not changed, so a chunk of the text is invisible, like it ran off the right edge of the tiny ribbon of the comment "page".

You can see the same thing happening in Axeman's comment #93.

Yep, we struggled with that. Long URLs get truncated, but at a set character length which doesn't always correspond to the right pixel width. That's definitely on the list to fix in the next version of the comment system.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:58 pm

I just noticed that we lost the 'recent posts' for the front page ja.zz system. Now you have to manually click around. I'm guessing that the 'related articles' just took its place.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:56 am

The "back to top" link still doesn't work. :-?
-Unknown Veteran

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:59 am

Hoser wrote:

Y'know, I don't think I've ever used that. I just hit the "Home" key...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:05 am

just brew it! wrote:
Hoser wrote:

I'm too lazy to take my hand off the mouse, so it's my first instinct instead of the home button.
-Unknown Veteran

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:42 am

Hoser wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Hoser wrote:

I'm too lazy to take my hand off the mouse, so it's my first instinct instead of the home button.

I love me my mouse forwards and backwards buttons.
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:51 am

king_kilr wrote:
Hoser wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Hoser wrote:

I love me my mouse forwards and backwards buttons.

Heck, I just scroll up. Or hit the middle button and move the cursor above it.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Server maintenance this weekend

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:36 am

Is there any plan to bring back the old query that showed the 10 most recently commented on articles (front-page, not forum)? I really liked that to be able to track comments. Right now, it's almost impossible to keep up with discussions once they have moved down the page.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:02 pm

Another quick suggestion. Can you have a link on the poll that's on the front page that goes to the discussion.x (ex: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14243) page for it? That'd be really handy instead of having to click "more polls" and then click in from there.

If I'm just blind, then I'm sorry.

sroylance
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:28 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Is there any plan to bring back the old query that showed the 10 most recently commented on articles (front-page, not forum)? I really liked that to be able to track comments. Right now, it's almost impossible to keep up with discussions once they have moved down the page.

That still exists, it just got bumped from the front page. It's still on the discussions.x pages.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:14 pm

sroylance wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

That still exists, it just got bumped from the front page. It's still on the discussions.x pages.

Are you talking about the "Top discussion topics"? I seem to recall one that wasn't sorted by most posts this week, but was a list of the 8-10 topics that people had most recently posted in, just like the hot threads was a list of the most recent threads people had posted in.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:37 pm

sroylance wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I have to say, I didn't see that until this comment caused me to go look for it. It would be nice if something like http://techreport.com/discussions.x/ (which goes 404 now) led to the complete list, sorted by post count or whatever. It does seem odd that there's nowhere to find it on the front page anymore, especially since there's plenty of white space towards the bottom of a couple of the columns in the wide layout. Though perhaps the two layouts have to include exactly the same components.

sroylance
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:00 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
sroylance wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Are you talking about the "Top discussion topics"? I seem to recall one that wasn't sorted by most posts this week, but was a list of the 8-10 topics that people had most recently posted in, just like the hot threads was a list of the most recent threads people had posted in.

You're right, the 'most recent posts' thing didn't get implemented in the redesign at all. It's probably something we can add when we get around to replacing jazz