Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

AutoCAD on Linux?

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:02 pm

Is it possible? What would be the best windows syndication program I can use to install CAD?

I have noticed before that some of you use wine to run windows based programs. Is it simple to set-up?

I have CentOS 5 (RHEL based) and use Gnome as my GUI desktop.

Thank You.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:07 pm

Seems like big-name programs like this are coded like crap and don't work too well in that sort of thing.
Honestly, your best bet is probably to just use VMware to run Windows XP.

lex-ington
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:00 pm

Can I run my current copy of XP or would that require me to spend more money on a second copy?

nightmorph
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:17 pm

--
Last edited by nightmorph on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:21 pm

Looking at the Wine application DB for AutoCAD suggests that if you have an old version of AutoCAD you may be OK in getting it to go under Wine. New versions seem to have broken it.

lex-ington
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:34 pm

Thanks. That explains it. On to the legal issues.

Would I have to activate and update my copy of windows in VMware?

I have used a version of VMware in windows to install another Windows OS.

lex-ington
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:07 pm

I used YUM to install XEN and a GUI front-end for it last night, but i don't know how to start it up. I was looking for the documentation on how start it but am getting quite confused. I guess I'm not using the right key words in the knowledge-base to find what I'm looking for.

I have a feeling that I will have to go into the terminal window to start it, butu to find the right command is losing me.

Does anyone have experience with this package at all? and its subsequent GUI front-end?

Edit: I wanted to use VMware, but they are really expensive.

Steel
Global Moderator

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:18 pm

lex-ington wrote:

Both VMWare Player and Server are free. If you go the Player route, there's lots of free tools out there for creating VMs.

Bliskin
Gerbil

AutocRap

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:51 pm

While i dont have much linux experience Acad is, unfortunately, my life. Use an early version if you're going to try it. Preferably 06 or earlier. 2007 and onwards has done some straaannge things.
Athlon 4800x2 || Asus A8N Premium || 2gb Corsair XMS || 2x 7800GT's || Seagate Cuda....and water cooling for all!

cheesyking

Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:23 pm

lex-ington wrote:
I used YUM to install XEN and a GUI front-end for it last night, but i don't know how to start it up. I was looking for the documentation on how start it but am getting quite confused. I guess I'm not using the right key words in the knowledge-base to find what I'm looking for.

I have a feeling that I will have to go into the terminal window to start it, butu to find the right command is losing me.

Does anyone have experience with this package at all? and its subsequent GUI front-end?

Xen requires a xen kernel so assuming you've rebooted and been given the xen option by grub and taken it...

open a terminal window and (as root) type:

xm list

that should give you a list of running domains (if it's working!)

you should just have one domain listed: dom0

to create a domain you need to copy and modify one of the example HVM config files in /etc/xen and create an image file for the hard drive the OS is going to sit on.

then start the domain by typing:

xm create FILENAME

if everything is OK and the windows CD is in the drive a window will open with the normal windows installer booted from the CD.

It's a bit scary the first time but not actually that hard. A couple of things though!

The xen kernel will break nvidia's binary drivers so don't have them installed before you run xen.

To run any windows domain under Xen you'll need a CPU (and mobo for intel cpus) that supports virtualization.

EDIT
never used the gui front end for xen but that's how you do it from the command line.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

lex-ington
Topic Author

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:22 am

cheesyking wrote:
To run any windows domain under Xen you'll need a CPU (and mobo for intel cpus) that supports virtualization.

EDIT
never used the gui front end for xen but that's how you do it from the command line.

When you say I'll need a CPU( and mobo for intel cpu's), that means Xen's VM doesn't support AMD? My Linux box is an X2-3800 on a gigabyte GF6100 AM2 board.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:37 am

No, what he means is that on Intel both the CPU and motherboard must support it in order for it to work.

On AMD, you need a CPU with the "Pacifica" extensions. Depending on how old your Athlon64 is, you may not have them; according to Wikipedia, it was introduced with the F stepping.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

cheesyking

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:57 am

Yeah like JBI said.

Any amd Athlon or Optron system with DDR2 will (should) work

One final thing I forgot...

graphics performance in a hardware virtualized domain is not that great so I can see possible issues with using autocad, 3D hardware acceleration is non-existent.
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!