Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

emi25
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

PCLinuxOS

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:21 pm

I managed to install PCLinuxOS, install new Nvidia drivers, start Full 3D desktop effects, (I have a 5600FX), installed some themes, like Vista, etc.

Someone, please help me with what to install next, becouse I want to replace Windows.

p.s. Windows and my PCLinuxOS is still on dual boot, because of some games.
pps: I installed truetype fonts windows licensed. How to set Firefox, to look like fonts used in original windows ?
(that is second biiiig problem).

Thanks in advance, and once again, sorry for my english.
Last edited by emi25 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Re: PCLinuxOS

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:28 pm

emi25 wrote:
Someone, please help me with what to install next, becouse I want to replace Windows.
Install whatever you need to do what you want to do. I'm not really sure what else to say.

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: PCLinuxOS

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:34 pm

emi25 wrote:
pps: I installed trutype fonts windows licensed. How to set Firefox, to look like fonts used in original windows ?

I'm not sure what the defaults fonts are for Windows Firefox, but I set the Firefox Sans-serif font to Arial and the Serif font to Times New Roman. And the monospace font would probably be set to Courier New on Windows, I think.

FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:38 pm

What is this PCLinuxOS? Their homepage links to some ugly magazine, which seems put together by some nerdy fanclub... The "test" they publish there is a joke :-)
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive

emi25
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:44 pm

that is simple: I want to play http://www.youtube.com movies (like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsNFxOOnjgw ), and that is allready included in; DVD, not tested yet, divx, and others, not tested yet.
On line radio, tested with Amarok.
Skype, is OK, installed.

I want somebody with much more experience then I; to tell me what to do next.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:48 pm

emi25 wrote:
that is simple: I want to play http://www.youtube.com movies (like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsNFxOOnjgw ), and that is allready included in; DVD, not tested yet, divx, and others, not tested yet.
On line radio, tested with Amarok.
Skype, is OK, installed.
so you want youtube and it works, you want DVD, but haven't even checked if it works, you want divx but haven't checked....

If you know that you want to do something, why not try doing it? If you don't know how, either use the wonderful resource of google or ask specific questions. Until you do that we have no idea what you want to do with your computer!
emi25 wrote:
I want somebody with much more experience then I; to tell me what to do next.
No one has more experience than you knowing the things that you do with computers.

emi25
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:50 pm

FubbHead wrote:
What is this PCLinuxOS? Their homepage links to some ugly magazine, which seems put together by some nerdy fanclub... The "test" they publish there is a joke :-)

home page:
http://www.pclinuxos.com/

some reviews, read them all
http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=68

after I read user experience from that "reviews", I downloaded PCLinuxOS, and installed. Wright now, I am writing this post from this OS.

emi25
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:16 pm

If you know that you want to do something, why not try doing it? If you don't know how, either use the wonderful resource of google or ask specific questions. Until you do that we have no idea what you want to do with your computer!

I can not do everything in one day. I ask for help, because I think there are some people who allready do that.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:28 pm

emi25 wrote:

I can not do everything in one day. I ask for help, because I think there are some people who allready do that.
Already do what? You haven't really listed much of anything regarding what you want to do with your computer. We're not mind readers. You haven't really asked a question other than just saying "what should I do next?" The answer to that is "it depends on what you want to do". Different people use computers for different things. What I'd do and what you want to do are probably different.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c2co ... tnG=Search gives a link to a pclinuxos documentation wiki that has directions for what you've listed thusfar.

emi25
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:37 pm

And the sound, there is a lot of loose: lisen to this (is not the best source, but is diferece)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsNFxOOnjgw

In Windows, the sound was much more "clean" and powerfull.
I, give up, for one day.

edit: now from windows:
the same sample is more crisp and clear, sorry.
( I have a SoundBlaster card )
Last edited by emi25 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:08 pm

Part of that could just be volume settings of PCM vs Master e.g. if you have PCM high and master low you may be clipping in the PCM stage for the same volume output as both on a moderate level.

Part of it could also be the fact that YouTube is Flash based and Flash on Linux tends to lag behind Flash on Windows (just because Macromedia develop on Windows first).

I'm not familiar with PCLinux, more Debian and Ubuntu, but for DVD, divx and other video type stuff, if you install both xine and mplayer (if they are not installed already) plus maybe the w32codecs pack, you should be able to play just about any video file on the internet.

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:19 pm

In all honesty, you'll probaly get more help from the masses if you use a more widely used Linux distro, like Ubuntu, Fedora, SUSE, etc.

Like mattsteg said, and I know you're saying your English is poor but bear with us, we really need more information, like details about the rest of the hardware in your PC, specifics about what you do on your Windows OS that you want to do in Linux (you've mentioned a few already, like multimedia playback (DVD, youtube (needs flash plugin for your browser), DivX encoded media, etc).

If you are more specific, we can be more detailed in our response.

emi25
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:01 am

and fonts ? I installed windows like fonts, but the browser still not the same.
screen shot:

link (for full resolution):
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262 ... uel/ps.png

atryus28
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:21 am

Yes you may have installed the windows fonts but that does not mean you are using them. You need to set it up to use them. You can set up your fonts the KDE control centre.

You should also open up synaptic and install the win32 codecs. That will help you with a lot. As others have said you aren't giving a whole lot of information for us to be able to help you.

I do use PClinuxOS 2k7 but not currently as I have to figure out how to fix the issue with twinview and beryl. So far they don't play nice together. I will have to open up my VM and check more specific settings for you. Anyone knowing Linux can help you. ou just need to give them a little more.

As to everyone else PClinuxos is a very widely used distro for the desktop. It is #1 on Distro watch right now and that is stats or the last 6 months. It is based off of Mandrake/Mandriva and uses KDE and the 3D desktop/windows are as using Compiz/Beryl for the effects. Although Beryl is not turned on by default.

If you know KDE you should be able to help with a lot of it.

emi25 you should definitely check the wiki and the forums, as a large amount of beginner questions are answered there. I will post back when I have gotten to play with the font settings, although personally I prefer the linux fonts over windows.

Oh yeah for video mplayer, xine and kaffeine are installed by default under media in the programs list. I would recommend turning on the new KDE "start" button as the the search is built into it like vista and will be easier for you to find programs you aren't familiar with. For instance the nvidia "tuning" app will not be in your "start" menu, but if you were to search for "nvidia" the program would show up in your list and then you can click it to run.

There is a very thorough forum and wiki there that will answer many of your questions.

atryus28

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:27 am

A few things for you to try if you want. I really think the skinny default windows fonts look ugly to me compared to slightly thicker smooth fonts but every one has their own opinion. You will need to turn off anti-aliasing for your fonts but I think it looks really ugly and you will need to pay with the font sizes and such.

Open up the he control center. (on a default install this would be the monitor looking icon with gears in the middle next to the home icon or the picture of a house on the task bar.)

Expand the "Appearance & Themes" section and select fonts. You will now see several settings for fonts, much more than in windows from the properties of the desktop at least and I never go any further than that in windows.

Try out these settings and see how you like them, I think once you set these you will be ready to futz around on your own after that.

Set to the following:

General: Tahoma 10 "regular"
Fixed width: Courier New 10 "regular" (this setting will allow you to use the MS fonts in FF)
Toolbar: Trebuchet MS 12 "regular"
Menu: Tahoma 10 "regular"
Window Title: Trebuchet MS 10 "Bold"
Taskbar: Tahoma 8 "regular
Desktop: Tahoma 10 "regular"

Set anti-aliasing o slight

FF ( Edit --> prefrences instead of tools options in windows)
Select the "Content" tab

Change the default to "Times New Roman" from "Times"
Select advanced and change
Serif to "Times New Roman"
Sans-serif to "Arial"
Monospace to "Courier New"

Anything else you do or don't like is up to you know. You have enough info to be dangerous with your fonts. ;)

As to the youtube problem via a VM I did not have any problems with that video. It sounds the same in either system for me. You may need to play with your sound settings.

atryus28

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:34 am

Oh I totally forgot to tell you how to change your start menu style. Right click the "start" button highlight panel menu and then select configure panel.

Click on the "Menus" icon and change the "Start Menu Style" to Kickoff. Click apply and then click ok.