Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:59 pm

This (the forum reorganization) is still on the list of things for me to do and it will be done sooner rather than later. I've just had many things come up in the past few weeks that limits my time on the forums and I just haven't had the time to start this process.

Looking back through the thread it doesn't seem like there are any major concerns going forward. Obviously not everyone agrees with moving to component based forums rather than the vendor based forums we have now, but I haven't heard any arguments to make me change my mind.

Also, none of the proposed forum descriptions have really grabbed me. I liked the "What you see is what you get" but I think it needs a bit more.

Anyways, this is still happening but I haven't had the time to start it yet.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:23 pm

* Distributed Computing (Come join the... uh... er... fold.)
-How about changing it to "Come join the fold."

* Visual Haven
-Monitors? Plasma TV? LCD's? Something pretty to look at? We've got you covered.

* Windows (Monopoly money comes in many flavors: Vista, XP, 2K.)
-Adding a ... at the end of the sentence would convey some more humour, in my opinion.

* Overclocking, Tweaking, & Cooling (Speed addicts anonymous.)
-Maybe this section should include something about making your computer more silent. Quieting the computer, so to speak.

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:15 am

"Silencing your PC" stuff is probably better in the case forum than in the OC one.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:30 am

morphine wrote:
"Silencing your PC" stuff is probably better in the case forum than in the OC one.
What makes most PC noise? That's right, cooling (which for better or worse is lumped in with overclocking).

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:33 am

mattsteg wrote:
morphine wrote:
What makes most PC noise? That's right, cooling (which for better or worse is lumped in with overclocking).

CD drives and hard drives make a good bit of noise too.

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:37 am

Fair enough, but I just tend to view "Overclocking" = gaining performance, nothing more really. Just a matter of taste anyway.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:39 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
morphine wrote:

CD drives and hard drives make a good bit of noise too.
Sure, but that's primarily when actively operating (and if you want a quieter CD or HD, you'd clearly discuss that in the storage forum, not the case forum). Cooling devices are more "general purpose" noise that's more constant (and thus annoying).

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:25 pm

Hey, the forums are wide again! Woohoo! Thanks T/R staff!

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:36 pm

Vrock wrote:
Hey, the forums are wide again! Woohoo! Thanks T/R staff!
Woohoo I can narrow to 800px wide if desired too!

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:17 am

Word.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:18 pm

Kevin wrote:
This (the forum reorganization) is still on the list of things for me to do and it will be done sooner rather than later.

I guess it ended up being later rather than sooner. After my last post I had two separate work trips (three weeks total) and a two week vacation. This looks to be a slow work week so I'm planning to get started in the next few days.

If anyone has anymore suggestions or comments, now would be a good time.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:45 pm

I must profess, I miss the Intel/AMD separate forums.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:10 pm

You know, I really tried, but I still get really annoyed with the stupid flood interval being set as high as it is. Especially when working with IE. *gah*

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:23 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
You know, I really tried, but I still get really annoyed with the stupid flood interval being set as high as it is. Especially when working with IE. *gah*
By "flood interval" you're talking about the timeout required before another query can be run? That drives me crazy all the time. I check "Replies to my posts," find none, try to get "Posts since your last visit" and get blocked. (I'm not going to mention the times when I click on the wrong one of those and then back up and try to click on the other :roll:) I run into similar problems if I run a query and get results I wasn't expecting (usually because I forgot to check the "Search for all terms" options) I go back, adjust the query, try to run it again, and get blocked.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:29 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
By "flood interval" you're talking about the timeout required before another query can be run? That drives me crazy all the time. I check "Replies to my posts," find none, try to get "Posts since your last visit" and get blocked. (I'm not going to mention the times when I click on the wrong one of those and then back up and try to click on the other :roll:) I run into similar problems if I run a query and get results I wasn't expecting (usually because I forgot to check the "Search for all terms" options) I go back, adjust the query, try to run it again, and get blocked.

Yeah. "Flood interval" is just what it's called in the PhpBB admin page.

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:36 pm

With phpBB 3 I think I can set it differently for different types of users. But this doesn't really have anything to do with forum reorganization.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:45 pm

Kevin wrote:
With phpBB 3 I think I can set it differently for different types of users. But this doesn't really have anything to do with forum reorganization.

I guess I just felt it was the most appropriate place to complain. I take it you have no plans on changing it? Was it a request passed on by Damage that made you change it in the first place? If so, then I understand about the bandwidth. However if it is more a whim thing, I would seriously ask you to reconsider.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:52 pm

I have got whacked by the flood interval thing a couple of times when doing a rapid fire search. Nothing to get worked up over though because it has only happened to me a couple of times.

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:53 pm

I have never changed that value. I believe it got changed in one of the forum upgrades. Not sure if it was intentional or not.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:54 pm

Hance wrote:
I have got whacked by the flood interval thing a couple of times when doing a rapid fire search. Nothing to get worked up over though because it has only happened to me a couple of times.

Consider yourself lucky. In this latest browsing session, I've gotten hit by it probably 20 times. Even when I'm at my own computer using FF, it gets in my way probably 5-7 times/hour of usage.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:59 pm

what are you doing to get hit by it so often ? :o

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:01 pm

I get nailed by the flood interval issue quite a bit as well, perticularly when I make a post, then go back and recheck the "Posts Since Last Visit" page.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:08 pm

Hance wrote:
what are you doing to get hit by it so often ? :o

Using the see "new posts" link to read stuff I've missed. Doing searches for stuff (as was also mentioned by UberGerbil) and missing checkboxes etc.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:09 pm

One thing that would help is if phpBB cached the egosearch, much like how vBulletin caches the subscribed threads list... that would reduce queries a LOT. But, that's more of a phpBB feature request than a TR request, and I don't know if phpBB 3 has it or not anyway.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:11 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
One thing that would help is if phpBB cached the egosearch, much like how vBulletin caches the subscribed threads list... that would reduce queries a LOT. But, that's more of a phpBB feature request than a TR request, and I don't know if phpBB 3 has it or not anyway.

I think you're the only one who uses that one primarily :wink:

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:54 am

I know this isn't the right place to put this, but I thought I'd do so anywhere.

When I logged back into TR, there are 620 replies on the 'newposts' page. 13 pages worth. However, pages 12 and 13 both return blanks, so I'm starting with page 11 and working my way forward. I'm not really too worried about it, but thought I'd let someone know.

DrDillyBar
Gerbil Elite

Re: Time for another forum reorganization

Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:17 am

Visual Haven - A Million monkeys with pencil crayons :roll:
i7-4790k | Z87-A | 16GB RAM | Radeon RX460 | SSD; 2TB and 2TB | Dell 20"w | Win10