Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Ver 6 F@H clients have been released!

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:51 pm

Yes, the version 6 of the Folding at Home Client has finally been released! (open beta)

They are now available for:
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista Graphical client 6.00 beta1
- Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista "No nonsense" text-only console (with built-in Windows-service-install option) 6.00 beta1
- Linux (x86-64 bit, only) SMP client console version 6.00 beta1
- Mac OS X (PPC) 6.00 Beta1
- Mac OS X (Intel) SMP client console version 6.00 Beta1

Not on this list are the Windows XP/Vista GPU clients (still ATI X1xxx series only) and the Windows SMP client. Note that they expire on October 1st, so if using those clients, make sure to download the updated version!

All the downloads are available at http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

The 6.00 beta1 FAQ for that is at http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-v6.html and is duplicated here in its entirety:

"Folding at Home v.6 Client FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Where can I download it?
You'll see it on our main download page: http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

What's changed?
All the modifications from the previous version are listed in the change log. On the download page, just click on the version number link that's immediately to the left of your download link. Changes of particular note:
- support in client and backend infrastructure for passkey
- accept message from server (for example PRFC) and print to unitinfo and queueinfo (only on units assigned from servers supporting this)
- integration of SMP support into the standard client. Run with the -smp flag on eligible hardware to receive SMP units.
- detailed detection of CPU type and features
- no benchmark on startup
- We regret that a v6 Windows/SMP client is not yet available.

What's a passkey?
The passkey is a unique identifier that allows you to prevent others from cheating in your name. Obtain a passkey from our web site (see below), enter it when you configure the client, and the client and servers will do the rest. Previously we have not had such an identifier in FoldingvHome (usernames for example could be shared by many people). You should keep your passkey secret. Please see the passkey FAQ for further discussion of passkeys.

Where can I get a passkey?
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

Can I mix and match SMP and non-SMP work units?
The integrated client will run either SMP or non-SMP work units. The version 6 client allows you to request either SMP or non-SMP work units from the command line; however, there is no change in the architectures for which we have no SMP work units (e.g. OSX/PPC) and for which we have no uni-processor work units (e.g. OSX/Intel). Also, on Windows the SMP install procedure must be followed in order to run SMP work units.
If you are running an SMP work unit or vice versa, you must finish that work unit with the appropriate client settings before changing the -smp flag.

(Updated on September 26, 2007)"

This message was modified by the poster at 09 26, 2007 06:50 PM
Keep folding!

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:05 pm

Not on this list are the Windows XP/Vista GPU clients (still ATI X1xxx series only) and the Windows SMP client. Note that they expire on October 1st, so if using those clients, make sure to download the updated version!

Can I mix and match SMP and non-SMP work units?

Wait, I'm confused. So can you or can you not use the new client for SMP units?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:08 pm

So where can we hide that passkey for UGN? :o

- accept message from server wrote:
- accept message from server
Does that mean we have to open ports now?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:23 pm

Linux & OS X have ver 6 SMP clients but Windows does not have them yet.
Keep folding!

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:46 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
So where can we hide that passkey for UGN? :o

- accept message from server wrote:
- accept message from server
Does that mean we have to open ports now?

I think it would have to be sent by the subteam leader to the various subteam members?
Keep folding!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Ver 6 F@H clients have been released!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:58 am

What's a passkey?
The passkey is a unique identifier that allows you to prevent others from cheating in your name. Obtain a passkey from our web site (see below), enter it when you configure the client, and the client and servers will do the rest. Previously we have not had such an identifier in FoldingvHome (usernames for example could be shared by many people). You should keep your passkey secret. Please see the passkey FAQ for further discussion of passkeys.
It's not like someone can "cheat" in your name and cause your points to decrease. I wonder what is the reasoning behind this feature. This can kill the idea of subteams?

Passkey FAQ wrote:
Do I need to get a passkey?
No, you can leave it blank during configuration and the client will operate normally. But we will not have any way of distinguishing units you completed from those others with the same name completed, and you will not be eligible for any bonuses.
So you don't have to use a passkey to fold under someone's name, but what is this bonus they are talking about?

Will that just make people post they keys if they want someone to fold under their name (due to subteams, gauntlets, etc.)? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:45 am

So... I'm running the XP SMP client. It expires on Oct 1st? How do I get an updated version if there is no new release of Windows SMP clients? Does that mean we can't do SMP after Oct. 1st? I'm confused, sorry.

Worse yet, I'm going to be out of state on the 1st :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:09 am

Inkedsphynx wrote:
So... I'm running the XP SMP client. It expires on Oct 1st? How do I get an updated version if there is no new release of Windows SMP clients? Does that mean we can't do SMP after Oct. 1st? I'm confused, sorry.

With the v6 client, the same client supports both non-SMP and SMP operation.

So upgrade the client before then.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:26 pm

The tie betwqeen a passkey and bonus points could use some clarification. The F@H website just makes the statement without any details on the applicability to folding clients and WUs. :-?

I am not looking forward to this change. :(
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Inkedsphynx wrote:

With the v6 client, the same client supports both non-SMP and SMP operation.

So upgrade the client before then.

Ahh, cool. I'll look at the website and see about it tonight before I leave. Thanks :D

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:46 pm

jeffry55 wrote:
The tie betwqeen a passkey and bonus points could use some clarification. The F@H website just makes the statement without any details on the applicability to folding clients and WUs. :-?

I am not looking forward to this change. :(
I share the same concern. Is there a thread on the official Folding forums / Dr. Pande's that goes into more detail about this stuff?

@Inkedsphynx: hate to pour cold water around here, but I think SMP mode on the Windows client is not ready yet, based on how I read the whole thing. Can someone read the thing again and see which meaning they get?

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:11 pm

The FAQ is either correct or not. It says there's no Windows version, but the download page has a Windows version with the same version number as the Linux SMP client. The way to test it, of course, is for someone running the Windows SMP client to download it and run it. Not very difficult.

This thread is a diversion from the original one started by 7im, and should be combined with it with several posts deleted.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:17 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
The FAQ is either correct or not. It says there's no Windows version, but the download page has a Windows version with the same version number as the Linux SMP client. The way to test it, of course, is for someone running the Windows SMP client to download it and run it. Not very difficult.

This thread is a diversion from the original one started by 7im, and should be combined with it with several posts deleted.

You can't combine threads. Believe me, when I moderated this forum I really wanted a combine feature more than any other.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

7im
Gerbil

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:27 pm

Eh, my other post was more about the beta clients expiring. It's good to have a seperate v6 thread, IMO.

The v6 SMP client for Windows is not ready yet. The FAQ is correct in that statement.

The download page has a Windows v6 beta CPU console client download, and an updated Windows v5.91 beta SMP console client download. Both will expire on 2008 02 02.

And the PassKey is optional. Use it or don't, your choice. The PassKeys are still anonymous with no identifying info, unless you used an email address like [email protected]. ;) And even if you knew Jack's folding user name and email address, you still couldn't read his email that had the PassKey in it. Safe, secure, anonymous. And if one of your clients goes rogue, and starts dumping hundreds of EUEs with 0 point WUs, you'll be thankful for the email Stanford sends you about it.

And IMO, using a PassKey could make SubTeams easier in a way. You can all use your own User ID, but use the PassKey for the subteam. I am guessing that you will eventually be able to display stats by PassyKey number. Just a thought.

1970BossMsutang
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:51 pm

So tell me i have the graphical one running on 2 of my computers now and didn't even notice there is a GPU one too...do you download them both and have them run at the same time or by downlaoding the gpu it comes with the other cpu version as well?
E6600 2.88GHZ | Asus P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe| 4GB DDR800 Corsair XM2 | 3x 320GB Barricuda RAID 0 |BFG Geforce 8800 GTX OC2| X-Fi Xtreme music | OCZ 700 Watt PSU

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:14 pm

7im wrote:
And the PassKey is optional. Use it or don't, your choice. The PassKeys are still anonymous with no identifying info, unless you used an email address like [email protected]. ;) And even if you knew Jack's folding user name and email address, you still couldn't read his email that had the PassKey in it. Safe, secure, anonymous. And if one of your clients goes rogue, and starts dumping hundreds of EUEs with 0 point WUs, you'll be thankful for the email Stanford sends you about it.

And IMO, using a PassKey could make SubTeams easier in a way. You can all use your own User ID, but use the PassKey for the subteam. I am guessing that you will eventually be able to display stats by PassyKey number. Just a thought.

Hey 7im, nice Jack Bauer analogy. Do you know anything about the "Bonus Points" tied to the Passkey? Are you saying the passkey is what cobines the points of multiple members in a subteam and not the username? :o
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:21 pm

1970BossMsutang wrote:
So tell me i have the graphical one running on 2 of my computers now and didn't even notice there is a GPU one too...do you download them both and have them run at the same time or by downlaoding the gpu it comes with the other cpu version as well?

The GPU client uses 1 gpu + 1 cpu. So if you have a single-core processor, then you can't really run a cpu client in addition to it.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:25 pm

7im wrote:
Eh, my other post was more about the beta clients expiring. It's good to have a seperate v6 thread, IMO.

The v6 SMP client for Windows is not ready yet. The FAQ is correct in that statement.

The download page has a Windows v6 beta CPU console client download, and an updated Windows v5.91 beta SMP console client download. Both will expire on 2008 02 02.

If the PassKey is meant to be shared, then why are they telling everyone to keep it a secret? And what's this deal about cheating?

Really we need some clarification.

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:16 pm

From what I understand, the "cheating" is if someone illegally installs the client (for example as a trojan) and put someone else folding name (not sure if malicious or not) on it (IIRC this has happened).
Resulted in zeroed out the points for that unfortunately member/victim.
The passkey is suppose to help prevent that (would retain points under the passkey if that happened).
So basically the passkey could be shared within a trusted group, but it would not make sense to make it generally available as it would make the security feature useless.
Keep folding!

Maph
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:17 am

7im wrote:

hmm. so how long will the current v5.9 linux/windows smp beta function until? i wont have access to my linux boxes until next year, but i could update my windows smp now if the new 5.91 can hold out til next year...

7im
Gerbil

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:56 pm

The current beta clients will expire on October 1st. The clients will keep running until they are stopped or shutdown. Those client will not restart after that date.

As noted, all the new updated clients expire 2008 02 02. The v5.91 SMP Win client is one of those new updates that was extended to Feb.

Maph
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:00 pm

okey, thanks for the update! it seems at least the regular client will not be affected so i will still have some points..tho my ppd has really been declining fast.

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:55 am

I have updated the Linux SMP FAQ. The big thing is to make sure you have the -smp flag!!!
Also VMWare Server has been updated to 1.04 (security appears to be the only change). Just run the new download (don't have VMware running when you do this) and it will automatically uninstall & reinstall VMware without affect any of guest OSes or other settings. Usual download location at http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
It is suggested to wait until a WU is starting (or even better to use the -oneunit flag) before installing the new version as there is a chance it might corrupt your existing WU.
Keep folding!

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:07 am

Some findings regarding passkey
- Requesting for a passkey with the same folding name and the same email address results in the same passkey provided.
- Requesting for a passkey with the same folding name but a different email address gives another passkey.
- Requesting for a passkey with a different folding name but the same email address gives a different passkey.
In other words, the passkey is directly linked with both the email address & folding name.

From the FAQ
"Perhaps more interestingly, we plan to shortly institute credit bonuses, which will be tied to passkeys."
"Finally, the existence of passkeys opens up future possibility of displaying to you your individual credit and other information, rather than just by username. "
Waiting to get more info about this.

The passkey is optional. It is asked as one of the questions during the configuration the client.
Keep folding!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:53 am

Tarx wrote:
Some findings regarding passkey
- Requesting for a passkey with the same folding name and the same email address results in the same passkey provided.
- Requesting for a passkey with the same folding name but a different email address gives another passkey.
- Requesting for a passkey with a different folding name but the same email address gives a different passkey.
In other words, the passkey is directly linked with both the email address & folding name.

From the FAQ
"Perhaps more interestingly, we plan to shortly institute credit bonuses, which will be tied to passkeys."
"Finally, the existence of passkeys opens up future possibility of displaying to you your individual credit and other information, rather than just by username. "
Waiting to get more info about this.

The passkey is optional. It is asked as one of the questions during the configuration the client.
Thanks for the find! :)

Looks interesting. Same username + different passkeys will be essentially like a subteam?

Still, I wonder what's all that talk about cheating. I guess since we are not doing anything bad, there's nothing to worry about.

7im
Gerbil

Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:13 pm

Different user names + same passkey also = subteam. But I recommend doing it the other way around. Fold with your own personal passkey, and fold with the user name of the subteam.

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:26 pm

7im wrote:
Different user names + same passkey also = subteam. But I recommend doing it the other way around. Fold with your own personal passkey, and fold with the user name of the subteam.

So if I use one of my passkeys for all my folding names on the various teams it will all be counted together?
Keep folding!

adisor19
Gerbil First Class

Still runs as "user" on OS X Leopard

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:27 pm

Ah crap. Still runs as "user" under Leopard. It slows down my apps because of this.. :S on Tiger it runs as "nice" so it's ok.

Anybody else running Leopard experiencing this ?

Adi

7im
Gerbil

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:31 pm

Tarx wrote:
7im wrote:

So if I use one of my passkeys for all my folding names on the various teams it will all be counted together?

Yes, you could display all of your points by PassKey. Or display all points by PassKey and User Name. Or User Name and Team #. Or PassKey and Team # if you fold for different teams.

PassKeys will become just another way to sort, combine, or display your points, just like a User Name.

Tarx
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:16 pm

7im wrote:
Yes, you could display all of your points by PassKey. Or display all points by PassKey and User Name. Or User Name and Team #. Or PassKey and Team # if you fold for different teams.

Excellent! And thanks for the info!
Keep folding!