Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

FF [TR]NoDogFightsAllowed Thread

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:52 pm

Hey someone had to do it...

I'm digging my team in this league more then my keeper league team! 8)

I've got Steven Jackson in both, so no complaints there! :)

Adrian Peterson, hoping he'll be as awesome as many are saying and highlights from Youtube seem to indicate. I'm going to have fun following him this year.

Interesting to see how much variation there is in selections in the live draft. Kickers going high, Peyton selected 5th, Addai going 3rd, etc.

My one screwup: I was thinking Betts and picked Lendale White on accident. (dunno how I F'ed that up - I was have some Long Island Iced Tea though, so you never know). Turns out White could be a good sleeper after all. Oh, I really wanted Chicago or Balt. D - but New England seems like a great pick too.

Motor City mentioned to me that he'll eventually try to trade one of his backs for a good receiver, FWIW. He concentrated on getting lots of RB's it seemed.

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:08 pm

I think I did alright:

Carson Palmer and Jeremy Shockey has always done well for me.

I got 2 good kickers and Baltimore for D!!

Here is my list:
QB - Carson Palmer
WR - Lee Evans
WR - Reggie Brown
WR - Darrell Jackson (whoever that is)
RB - Frank Gore
RB - Marshawn Lynch (supposedly he fits into the Buffalo system well)
TE - Jeremy Shockey

I thought Jerry Porter wanted out of Oakland?

Was Joe Horn with NO last year?

Who is DeAngelo Williams from Carolina?

I was one of the people who had preselected kickers pretty high since I've won games from good kicking before. It really sucks to lose a game by 0.74 points because your kicker can't hit from 15 yards out!!! :evil:
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:22 pm

I think a lot of my players are underrated and will have a break out year.

Tom Brady (NE - QB)
Terrell Owens (Dal - WR)
Braylon Edwards (Cle - WR)
Terry Glenn (Dal - WR)
Reggie Bush (NO - RB)
Julius Jones (Dal - RB)
Antonio Gates (SD - TE)
Nate Kaeding (SD - K)
Chicago (Chi - DEF)

Eli Manning (NYG - QB)
LaMont Jordan (Oak - RB)
Anthony Gonzalez (Ind - WR)
Heath Miller (Pit - TE)
Brandon Jones (Ten - WR)
Jason Hanson (Det - K)
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

lex-ington

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:37 pm

I . . . *hope* . . . all of your players have a "Break-Out" year, more like pop-out-of-place year. :D

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:43 pm

Tiki Barber carried my teams the last two years. I didn't know who to pick since he retired. :lol:

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:59 am

With my rookie inauguration into the world of fantasy football, it's pretty clear I didn't have a clue wtf was going on. I like my picks but with bye weeks and everything factored in, I could be lacking in certain departments...

I'm looking for a fair trade at the RB position. I want to dole out Maurice Jones-Drew for different team / bye week at the RB position. Jones-Drew is basically a Willy Parker sized dude who has a decent line to protect punch holes for him, and a team that will run him about as much as Fred Taylor. He's the 1-2 punch with Taylor, I just don't want 2 rb's out in 1 week if I can avoid it. Hit me up one way or another for possible trades.

Kevin
Administrator

Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:25 am

Shouldn't you post that in the thread for your league? ;)
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:30 pm

I think I'm screwed, as I was not available for the live draft. Though I do have some good players sprinkled in, I'm lacking talent in key positions.

Quarterbacks
Matt Hasselbeck (Sea - QB)
Jake Delhomme (Car - QB)

Wide Receivers
Torry Holt (StL - WR)
T.J. Houshmandzadeh (Cin - WR)
Anquan Boldin (Ari - WR)
Kevin Curtis (Phi - WR)
Greg Jennings (GB - WR)

Running Backs
Willie Parker (Pit - RB) w00t!!!
Shaun Alexander (Sea - RB) yay
Carnell Williams (TB - RB)

Kickers
David Akers (Phi - K)
Robbie Gould (Chi - K)

Tight End
Todd Heap (Bal - TE)

Defense
Philadelphia (Phi - DEF)
Miami (Mia - DEF) meh
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:08 pm

I would say your RB's, WR's and TE are solid. If the matchups well, you could do fine. I would drop one of your kickers and get a more useful guy for a roster slot. Conventional wisdom says one kicker is enough (cept for the bye week).

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:34 pm

That's what I had in mind, but I'm looking at the available players, and I'm clueless as to which position to fill: RB or WR.

Perhaps a trade is in order...
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Kevin
Administrator

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:40 pm

Dizik: Dump your second kicker (Gould) and defense (I'd keep Miami). Kickers and defenses are a dime a dozen and hit or miss all year. Play defenses based on matchup (but with Miami, you should be fine all year as they collect turnovers).

Pick up at least one more RB (I'd get two). If there are no starters left as free agents, aim for backups of injury prone players or the second RB in a RBBC (RB by committee). But your two starters are fine and Carnell has some upside. But you need at least one more RB as depth.

Your top three WRs are studs and barring injury, will produce for you all season. Keep an eye on Curtis and Jennings (on your bench, of course) and if they don't seem to produce as the season goes on (and you get near your bye weeks), don't hesitate to drop them for someone who's on a hot streak.

TEs are defined as Gates and the rest. Todd Heap is a solid TE that should get you around 4-6 pts per week. Don't worry about him.

Your only weak spot is at QB and either of the ones you have should last through the season. Check the free agent list for QBs over the next few weeks. If someone has a good game on Sunday, grab one.

For an auto draft lineup, what you have is pretty solid. You are definitely not screwed. I wouldn't even be looking at trades. The only position you could improve would be QB and you'd lose one or more of your good RBs and WRs. You can not afford to lose one of your two RB starters. If you can get someone good for Holt, maybe I'd consider it, but I think you'll have better luck on the free agent list.

EDIT: Wait, I'm in this league. What am I helping you for? :lol:

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:53 pm

Dump Gould? Seriously? Gould has outperformed Akers in the two seasons that he's been in the league.

Kevin
Administrator

Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:37 pm

You need to drop one of them. If you like Gould more than Akers, that's cool. Just don't expect a repeat of last year for Gould.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:07 am

Kickers are pretty much a toss up year to year usually.

That's why I picked my kicker with my last pick in all (3) leagues I'm in FWIW.

Kevin summed things up pretty well for you, wow - what a nice guy! :wink: :lol:

druidcent

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:27 pm

Holy Crap!!!

Plax went off last night and gave me a fighting chance against LFK...

Now hopefully Rudi gets knocked out of the game on the first play so I can win in at least one league :P

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:40 pm

I'm down by 8½ points with Alex Smith yet to play.

LFK beat you by playing the optimal lineup of his players. You would have won if you'd started Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall or Santonio Holmes.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:53 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
LFK beat you by pure dumb luck.
Fixed. :wink:
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

druidcent

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:29 am

Yeah... I'm kicking myself on Brandon Marshall.. I meant to start him instead of Vincent Jackson but I forgot about it since I'm trying to manage 5 leagues this year :( I think I'm going to cut back next year...

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:20 am

Wow.....so I pulled that win out of my ass. Thank you Akers and your wonderful 12 points.

Now who do I start, Derek Anderson or Matt Hasselbeck? Anderson played a great game against Cincinnati, but was it just a fluke? Hasselbeck seems like a safer bet (and is projected to put up more points), but I can't help but expect the Browns to play an amazing game against the Raiders.

Or...do I pick up Steve McNair who will be starting for the Ravens again?

Decisions, decisions.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:10 pm

Damn LFK...if Vince Young doesn't put up some serious points for you, you're going to fall hard. I'm guessing to either 5th or 6th place.

I've attached a pic of the current points and the projected standings, which of course excludes the points that a couple of teams might be getting from the Monday night games.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Note to self: Never bench Romo, ever. Even against Chicago.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:49 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
I think a lot of my players are underrated and will have a break out year.

Wow WTF? :D

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:54 pm

Dizik wrote:
Damn LFK...if Vince Young doesn't put up some serious points for you, you're going to fall hard.
Yea, well....I had both Mon. night QB's. All either had to do was hit their projected points. Neither one did. The ones that hurt the most though (for this league) were Steve Smith (1.60), Hines Ward (0.90), and San Diego (1.0). Vince could have slept his hang over off, and I would have been fine if those others would have even pulled half their weight.

Easy come, easy go. :-?
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:53 am

I need a strong showing from Ocho Cinco and the Patriots Defense tonight!

lex-ington

Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:20 am

I just need for CP not to be picked-off and hopefully get a touchdown or two.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:00 pm

46.24 right now....are you **** kidding me? Seriously, WTF? Yahoo really needs to change their setup, as Todd Heap was listed as active Saturday. Come Sunday, he's inactive and I can't change him. Grrr.

2.64 points from Hasselbeck. Way to not **** show up to the game. Dick. (Can't complain really since I'm a diehard Steelers fan in real life ;) )

Amani Toomer...say hello to the waivers you lazy piece of ****.

Sorry Heap, but I gotta drop ya.

Apparently Shaun Alexander was sleeping. Again, I'm a Steelers fan IRL, so I can't really complain too much. But fantasy football wise, I'm über-pissed at Alexander and his performance this week.

As for tonights game. I really want it to be a low scoring game since I have Dallas's defense, and I want Buffalo to shut down every scoring option Dallas has. I say that because Frobozz has Folk, Barber, and Romo, on his roster. :( I need Dallas's D to put up a crapload of points while the rest of the team chokes. :)

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:23 pm

Except for Bobby Engram and possibly Julius Jones (who plays tonight). My team did well. 17pts from a TE is always a nice bonus.

Even though it looks like both my teams are set, I will probably still watch tonights game. Looks like Dallas is on a roll.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:12 pm

I think that Romos's 5 picks definitely helped me out, but the effort by Barber and Folk are enough to put me out of business this week. Dallas's defense wasn't as good as it has been in previous weeks. :(

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:29 pm

I thought for sure I was going to lose. I was down 30 points and was ready to just write off this week. This game can sure get crazy.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:29 am

Wow....my team actually showed up this week and produced. Too bad that I'm down by 23 points, and Derrick Ward is my only player for tonight, and he's questionable at best.